Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Lost and need to spend the night? >

Lost and need to spend the night?

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Lost and need to spend the night?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Lost and need to spend the night?

This post may help one of us someday. So feel free to add whatever you found to be useful.
We all know that when we go deep into the woods with the possibility of having to stay overnight either because we got lost or maybe injured. There are a few things we should have on hand. The obvious is water, light, and fire. But some of us have learned some usefull tips over the years.
I like to carry a zip lock bag with matches and a lighter and a metal match, spare pocket knife, compass, space blanket and a couple small heater packs.
I also carry a 35 mm film canister with some petroleum jelly soaked cotton. This burns long and is lights easily for starting your fire.
My pack contains a couple gauze pads and a roll of adhesive tape, some high energy snacks (granola bars) and a bottle of water.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't carry a compass - carry two.

Have you ever been "a little confused" in the woods and started doubting your compass? I have, and started thinking "this compass has got to be off". There's a great comfort when two different compasses point in the same direction.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Should always pack for longer than you expect.
While what I pack will vary,
I tend to try to keep some essentials on my person, as opposed to having everything in my pack.
Small first aid kit (about the size of a pack of cigarettes stays on me.
For firestarter I used to carry drier lint,
I tried both lint and cotton balls, cotton balls does burn longer so have switched to cotton balls,
And keep 2 sets of matches and starter 1 on me and one in my pack.
Do carry more than 1 knife.
1 on me and one in my pack,
For water I try to bring along a hand pump filter,
Its smaller and lighter than carrying the water I would need for the day. No shortage of water where I hunt/hike.
I recommend people try their gear out before having to use it in an emergency.
Be surprised how the simplest things is not so easy when doing it for the first time
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually have a small hatchet in my pack, just in case. Along with a second compass, spare ammunition, spare lighter. Extra socks and one gallon storage bags if my boots get wet, than I can at least keep my feet dry.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Don't carry a compass - carry two.

Have you ever been "a little confused" in the woods and started doubting your compass? I have, and started thinking "this compass has got to be off". There's a great comfort when two different compasses point in the same direction.
My favorite movie line (from the Mountain Men): Brian Keith "Can't say that I've ever been lost. Been confused for a month or two - but never lost."
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

When you plan for an emergency over night kit, remember your basic needs. In my possible bag, I carry at least two, some times more, #11 metal tins that are turned into a candle. They take up very little room. And they can not only give light, but make fire starting very easy. You light the candle and build the fire over the tin. Also the comfort and peace of mind a simple little light can give to someone lost or stranded is amazing. In my sack is a vacuum sealed bag with three books of paper matches. Because of the vacuum seal bag, they are air and water tight. So they are fresh.

I also carry water and always snacks with me. In my hunting jacket I have one large pocket with a zipper. I like to fill that with peanuts in the shell. I have been know to even eat the shell when hungry. And peanuts are protein and an energy food. A few peanuts can go a long way when the dark shadows are around and the hunger pains come in. Also when I hunt, since I sit very often, I carry a canteen of water. Not soda, or coffee (although I have been known to take coffee early in the mornings to a blind) but water. Water is hands down the best liquid there is.

In my fanny pack/hand warmer pocket is my basic first aid kit, compass, batteries, GPS, camera, cell phone, and usually more snacks like apples and string cheese.

How many have been forced to spend the night in the woods for one reason or the other that was not planned?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I think a good thing to try ,is to take the things you think you need and go park yourself in the woods for a nite using just what you have.also see how you feel being out alone. I stopped a guy running through the woods while hunting once he was lost aND IN TOTAL PANIC once i calmed him down i asked him if he recognised the noise we were hearing?It was cars going down the road a 150yrds away If you dont feel good about the woods your just asking for trouble! Ive always felt good in the hills.I like to hunt alone.the wife says im getting to damn old to go alone but ijust love the feel of it
Old 10-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would add cordage to the list.
Have not had to spend unplanned night.
Been dang close! 6 hours in a swamp as a youth , no desire or time to backtrack. Found a ridge with some stumps,used compass off it expecting to return,, and hit logging trail tent was on a hundred yards farther. Been awhile though. Never panic,the word still gonna be there tomorrow.
A friend got lost awhile without meds. Would have been a rough nite.
Easier to set up near wood than haul it to far if possible. If being searched for moving around area won,t help. Stay busy building a debris shelter or another project.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 AM
Spike

Plastic bags come in handy in so many ways. I use plastic bread bags held with rubber bands over two layers of socks (50/50 cotton/acrylic, then wool). This simple trick has lowered the temperature I stay comfortable at by 10 degrees.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

I would add to the list to bring a couple days of whatever medication you are on, plus some asprin etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.