Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which gun to keep?

Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Which gun to keep?

I'm a bit of a gun collector. Now, thats not to say that I have a vault of expensive guns or anything. Everything I own is a hunter. I've got some rifles with nice wood, but they have scratches because I use them. A friend asked me one time "why in the world would I carry something that pretty in the woods?" My response was to tell him: "thats what they are for"

So lets say for a moment that for some unknown reason that you were forced to pick one gun and one gun only which would it be. I mean caliber, make, model, and why? I know we'll get a lot of 270 and 30-06 response here and thats fine. Just explain why and try to refrain from running someone elses choice down.

Whats my selection? Well, that would be tough. My 280 rem is a front runner, so is my 12 ga. O/U shotgun, as would the venerable 22 mag. I'm guess I'll stick with my Browning A bolt 280 rem. Its a very versatile round. Its good for any of the large game animals with the exceptions of the big bears. Its also my favorite gun because its been with me the longest.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which gun to keep?

I'd go with the custom made Ellwood Epps 35 Whelen Mauser action. I'd pick this gun because my great grandpa gave it to my dad and he's gonna give it to me. Also because I shot my first deer with it.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Kona,

Great choice. Family heirlooms are an excellent criteria that I hadn't even considered. Theirs a certain Browning A5 sweet 16 that was my grandpa's that if I ever inherit will never leave my possesion until I pass it down.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to pick my Sears Model 53 .30-06. My Grandpa has given it to me, and I love that rifle. It will be with me for a long, long time! It will also kill anything that I ever need to kill for food, so if I were forced in to the situation of keeping only one gun, that would probably be the main reason to keep one.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ONE GUN OOOOOOHHHHHH THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

What this mental anguish you are causing,I have so many loved guns-that shall I hope never leave me.

But if I had to choose just one and one alone,it would be my .338 errr wait no,no my 25-06 no,no, it has to be my Rem Modle 7600 Game master pump 30-06 spng. this gun was given to my by my father picked up in pawn shop for 250.00 bucks 17 years ago.This gun holds my favortie memorie's of hunting with my father and friends,my first deer,my first elk,bear,antelope and other game.It also beat the pant's off my dad,brother and uncle in a shooting contest when I was 14.
This is the gun my boys will start their hunting carear with,and I hope their boys will do the same.
BBJ
Old 05-02-2005, 06:23 PM

Since there is no "right answer" this should be okay....

Not my first rifle (M700 in .270)
Not my so called "family heirlooms" (Dad's M94 30-30 or Grandpa's Model 12)
Not the shotguns nor the pistols (though that would hurt a bit)
I'd stick with my most adaptable mid-bore....

Its a M70 Super Grade in 375 H&H with a Leupy III - 4x12
(It shoots sweet and I feel can go a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e with that one and get it all done.)

One planet,
One rifle,
Holland's 375....
[It's not an original line, but I like the "line" as well as I like that rifle!]
Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the custom made Ellwood Epps 35 Whelen Mauser action.
Kona Boy,
Interesting choice. My favourite gunshop is Epps Sporting goods ( I buy all my rifles and shooting supplies there). It is now run by the Winkle family and Ellwood himself would be impressed with how these people do business.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

thats easy.

my remington .257 roberts.....it was my grandpas gun. he was very close to me.

big enough guy??? im a bowhunter
Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heaven Forbid that that would ever happen but if it did I would probably keep the 308 Browning A-Bolt. I could live with my 280 as well. If I were younger with a lifetime of hunting ahead I would go back where I started with the Rem 700 BDL 30-06. It did thje job on four continents. Although it would be hard to not pick the 7600 30-06.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:37 AM

Thats a tough one, Probably the Savage 99 in .300 savage, I also would have trouble giving up my Rem 700 .223 heavy barrel custom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.