Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Antelope hunt?

Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Default DIY Antelope hunt?

I'm going to take my step-son on an antelope hunt in '06. I know its a long time from now. That gives me plenty of time to plan, teach him to shoot, get in shape etc. So heres my question: I want to apply for a unit that has a very high probabilty of us drawing. In a perfect situation there would be a lot of big goats. I'm leaning toward the units around Gillette Wyoming. My main goal is for him to have an enjoyable time, and hopefully connect with a nice trophy. Once that is done I will start scouring for a true trophy. So thats my dilema, Where is there a lot of goats as well as a reasonable chance at a whopper?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Antelope hunt?

Log on to the Wyoming DNR website and study the reports on hunter success in the various zones. All the information you want is right there in the website. Then pick a town in that zone and write the chamber of commerce and they will send you more info than you can imagine. Hunting is a big part of the economy down there and they welcome your money.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Terry,
Thanks for the insight.
I actually have done that. I'm doing quite a bit of research already. I was hoping someone might have some first hand knowledge. Like I said I'm leaning towards the units around Gillete Wyoming, but am open to sugestions.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:53 PM

shato - my experience with goats is that the areas that have few goats usually have the trophies, no one hunts for goats in those areas. the areas w/ tons of goats get all the preasure so trophy potential is lower[&:]. I grew up in northeast wy and there are plenty of goats around gillette, but be sure to get a GPS and every BLM map you can find for the area, local ranchers will prosecute trespassers from out of state if you find them on their property. Make SURE you know your on public land.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:51 PM

shato- if i were not a jackass= i would offer to help you!
o.k. i will anyway, what ever u need to know pm me i will help you. i know alot of land here. i have lived around the area for 25 years.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:35 PM

man boy-where you fromexactly, I'm from Hulett.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

nvmike,
manboy and i are both from newcastle
brad
Old 04-27-2005, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: manboy

shato- if i were not a jackass= i would offer to help you!
o.k. i will anyway, what ever u need to know pm me i will help you. i know alot of land here. i have lived around the area for 25 years.
man,

I call em like I see em. I don't know you personally, and it is not meant as a personal attack. I said that I agree with you in regards to high fence hunting. I just thought it in poor taste to attack the youngster with the amputation. If You need an apology you have it. I'm sorry for attacking you. So lets shake hands and quit this bickering.

If you know of ranchers that will accept trespass fees to allow us to hunt on there land, or better yet public land that is accessable in the area I would appreciate any info you can pass along.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 AM

how big are u looking for? do u plan on rifle or bow?i hunt an area that u will see about 200-300 goats a day. u can count on seeing some 12"-14" bucks. there are some real nice ones, unfortunatlly i have only been interested in goat hunting the last 2 years. my biggest is 12"buck i devoted a whole 3 1/2 hours to the first evening hunt. if u have a few days u will get a nice buck. want more info PM me.