Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lets see your pictures

Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lets see your pictures

Nice pics Hiawatha, congrats. You've gotta love that second whitetail tag the last few years, I know I do. Where did you get your elk? I got drawn for Cypress hills last year but couldn't go because of work . Are you still at UofS or are you done?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:30 AM

Well guys and gals,
I have asked for stories. So I guess I will share mine on my elk. Its long but I like details and thought you all might as well
I went to British Columbia for a Rifle hunt in the bugle. The first morning out we rode our horse up a drainage into some of the most amazing country I have ever experienced. We stopped at a good vantage point to do some calling and glassing. Almost immediately a bull answered our bugles. We were not in a position to stalk closer so we decided to simply call.
After a few minutes of cow calling and bugling we spotted a bull crest a rise. He was hot and answering nearly every bugle. We watched as he wound his way down the ridge toward us. I was totally mesmerized. I was glassing him intently hoping to find a sixth point. We called this beautiful 5 X 5 nearly a 1/4 mile to within 60 yards. As BC is a six point only area we had to pass on him. The bull had spotted our horses from a distance and I suppose he thought they where cow elk. Once he got close enough to figure out they weren't he lost interest.
Once that encounter was over, we were talking about how amazing it was when all of a sudden another bugle rang out. We looked back up the ridge and there was another larger bull in the same exact spot that the first had came. I quickly grabbed my glasses and looked him over. He was a 7 x 6. He was enormous. I would say that he would make Boone and Crocket. I had visions of him following the same track as the 5 point.

He stood on the ridge. Looking things over. But showed no signs of coming closer. I estimated him at over 600 yards away. We bugled at him and it seemed that it severly peturbed him. He walked back into the aspens and began to totally trash a full grown tree. You could see the top of the aspen shaking violently. As we watched him through the glasses. We saw another bull come in towards him a 6 x 6. This was too much. My heart was pumping a thousand beats a minute. When the big boy saw the third bull come in he decided to take out his aggression on him. When the big boy charged # 3 the smaller guy turned tail. Big boy left on the heals of #3.

We spent the remainder of the day glassing for the two bulls. We hoped that in the evening we could locate them and try a stalk. We glassed to no avail. It was decided that the next day we would climb the mountain they where on and hunt from the top down.

The second morning was spent climbing the mountain. We went up until we came to a nearly vertical cliff. We decided to scale the cliff. Once we were approx. 3/4 up the cliff it became too steep to proceed. So we had to regroup and find an alternative route. Coming down that cliff I was certain I would fall to my death at any moment. But we made it. Once on top we planned our route to hunt the bulls.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:51 AM

We waited for the thermals to change. So that we could hunt into the wind. We were working our way down the mountain calling, when all of a sudden a bugle rang out. I looked across a ravine and there he stood in all his glory. I never even looked at his horns except long enough to see that he was legal. I moved as fast as I could with out being seen to get in a shooting position. I wasn't going to play with this dude. I wanted a shot and didn't care to bugle him in. Then the Bull Fever hit me. My left leg wouldn't stop shaking. In my mind I was sure that this bull was the "booner" we seen the morning before. I was trying to steady my crosshairs. Willing my leg to stop shaking.

Then my budy Ted say to me: "why don't you kill him already" It made me laugh. And unbeliavably my leg stopped shaking. The bull started to move. so I put the crosshairs on him and squezed....nothing. Then I thought to myself. He's 350-400 yards away, You just held on the bottom third of the kill zone. That means you shot under him. Amazingly the bull stoped to looked where the sound came from. When he did I layed the crosshairs on his back and touched it off. KAWACK I heared the confirmation that my 225 gr. 338 partition had found its mark. The bull turned to leave, he staggered a bit so I knew I had hit him hard. I sent another round at him anyway. Then he disappeared. Then the shakes came back. My buddy Ted was High fiveing me and hooting and hollering. Then he looked at me and said: "I think you're empty" I replied: "Ya might be right" I was in a daze of excitement. When we recovered him I was a little ashamed to find that I had shot bull 3, the 6x6 that mr big had run off without even knowing. In my mind he was the big boy. But, that thought vanished as I eyed the largest rack I have ever taken.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:36 AM

Here is my 2nd and so far my last elk. It was actually late in the 2003 season, (Feb 2004). My dad has posted this before in another topic, so I hope I'm not boring anybody.

Gardiner, MT. One shot at 200 yds with .270. What a fun hunt I had on horses. Now I want to take a bull, even though this cow was good eating.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:59 AM

Got this one at 25yds. 300 ultra mag. 7x9 non typical

Old 04-30-2005, 11:33 AM

Nice Pics
Old 04-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my first buck, and my best one to date. Its a 17" wide 2x2. Area 10 Late Nevada, 2000. The next year, I got a smaller 2 point, and haven't pulled the trigger since.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:53 PM

Wow some really great pics in here especially the elk geesh some hawgs, congrats guys. Saskabush i hunt the northeast, greenwater lake area. The mulies i had to go down to Kyle to hunt but everything else is within a few miles from home. Me and my buds are planning on cypress elk possibly if we get drawn in the centenial deal. sounds like a real good area. I will be convicating from uofs may 26th with a b.sc Kinesiology and then off to education i go for another 2 years, fun fun.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, some great looking animals taken last year. I posted my story and pics. of my hunt to AK. last fall, back in Sept. But I'll show it again. I saved for several years to go on this hunt with my best friend, and his dad went with us as well. In this picture, I am on the right and my buddies dad is on the left, my buddy took the pic. I spotted two bull moose on the second morning, from camp. The stock was pretty easy, and the shot was about 175 yards. I used my .300 Win., two shots with 180 gr. partitions. Took us the rest of the day to carry it back to camp.
I ended up wtih 638# of boneless meat at the locker plant, that doesn't include the tenderloins and one back strap, we ate them at camp!
And, the last thing to carry out, were the antlers. My buddy standing beside me here.

Oh what a day!! I hope to do it again some day!!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:36 PM

took me awhile to find this picture first bear 2003

Quick Reply: Lets see your pictures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.