Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 bear bait barrel question?? >

bear bait barrel question??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bear bait barrel question??

Old 04-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default bear bait barrel question??

going out Saturday to set up bait barrels.

This years bait barrels will be left unchecked until may 4-5 about 2 weeks

Normal bait barrel holes in a 45 gallon drum are set at the first ringfrom the bottom with a hole 4-5 inchs
will the bears not clean out the bait very quickly with a hole that size?
Looking to fill barrel up to the hole with oats, dog food, grease, molasses and a icing sugar recipie.

The Bait we are setting up will not be attened to for about 2 weeks. this is due to my work schedule.

so would smaller holes be better? so as they must just pick at it through the holes with there claws?? Say 2 inch hole?

the Barrels will have a chain welded to bottom and chained to a tree, so barrel can be wacked around.

Whats everyone suggestion?

Thanks AL
Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 AM

Default RE: bear bait barrel question??

When we use to bait, we used a large plastic barrel, ones that are about 40 gallons. We just cut a square hole in one end, about a foot square. Wire the barrel to a steel stake, tip the barrel up filled it, laid it on its side, coverd the opening with large dead limbs, and then started checking it after about two weeks. It was pretty much water proof and the limbs kept the birds out and discouraged the coyotes. Maybe not the best plan but it worked. The bear has to be able to get something out to eat to keep his interest.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it is an established bait or high density bear area, then 2 weeks might find a empty barrel with only raven sheet on top when you return. However you have to be careful to not limit them to much from eating which can also result in the exact same scenario except a full/part barrel! We have tried the 2" hole thing and I can tell you it has never worked for us, instead we stick to a 4" hole and just give em more if we can't tend it. It isn't ideal but as long as you keep them coming it can work out. First off your bait/techniques is AOK. However I would also take your fryers grease & pour it out in a circle (about 20/30 yards out) around the bait site (s). This will do 2 things create more attraction and provide a scent trail to be laid down by visiting bears. It also is common to have bears circle a bait without coming in when first encountering it, however the grease ring seems to come into play thus making the scent trail for the other bears(like mentioned) but also teasing or wetting these bears appetite to return for further inspection! I also will pour grease on rotten tree stumps or logs, again just giving em more. If you have some thick fryer grease or the a bunch with the settled bottoms than stringing a jug or 2 from a tree suspended well out of reach is also a good idea - just pop a small hole in the corner and it will provide an on going/slow drip. I also find adding meat scraps to start works well, in this I use a secondary smaller barrel chained to a tree (as pits or log rolls are not allowed here - if they are where you hunt then go ahead and make a pit and cover with some weighted found/natural items - large logs, sticks, rocks, etc.). The other option is to use burlap sacks tied in trees with meat scraps, fish heads, left overs, etc or if you have available to you Beavers are the best meat for bears. If using the sacks I would vary height and positioning so they can get some but others no way! If you can get whole beavers then stringing these guys up works fab. and again allow them to get some but not all.

Caution don't string any bait/sacks, etc where you plan to be sitting you don't want bears looking or wanting to come up your tree..we always put ours out at the edge of the baiting area in front of the stand and to the sides. When returning to any bait always make sure to check your tree tops for little puff balls...cubs. Last thing you want to do is come waltzing in and find out momma has treed her young and is waiting in the weeds.

If a starter bait I would skimp a bit on the setup, set out your bait barrel, drop some grease and spruce slightly. If in 2 weeks it is hoping when you return go whole hawg at that point.

Best of luck and let us know how you make out!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I activated my sight with sardines and grease. I got hit within 4 days of puting them out. Good advice on the puff balls in the trees. I will look out for that when I head in.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:13 PM

hi everyone great site im new to the fourms first post been hunting bears for about three years have had great success hunt other big game aswell thiss year my partner and i set up three bear sites so far only one has been hit i know its early but its been hit hard every day we use a 45 gallon plastic drum chainded to 4by4 log box the drum has a 6 inch circle hole the box heavey lid we rebait every day cause its cleaned out the bears or bear destroys the site we found some foot prints BIG BEAR no babby prints problem weve huntded every day no bear if he is night feeding how can we stop it we use lots of bait are we over feeding any input would be great thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

pooki, first off welcome

This is not uncommon and I think the part that really makes bear hunting an adventure..never know when or who will come in! Are you taking scent precautions when baiting? If so stop! Bears use their nose above all and as such will use it either coming in downwind or circling the bait prior. Your scent can not be 100% covered sorry I believe in limiting it but unless you hunt in a bubble you got scent in the woods. When we bait we are not only loud we drive the quads right up to the barrel and take no precautions of our scent, we bait early in the day as well not right before setting up to hunt. When setting up bait we run the chainsaw constantly they will eat a jerry can with gas so the smell isn't a problem and the bikes will also leave that smell...conditioning them to are presence. I never hunt in my baiting clothes though, last thing I need is bear picking up the grease I dripped on my jeans and follow it up to my treestand. I personally like to get in a bit early, I only hunt evenings so a couple hours prior to the action starting is perfect for me. I hang my stands in a pine tree vs popular,etc first off no need to worry about lack of leaves and they offer the best backing!

Best of luck
Old 04-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Spike

YA WHAT SKEETER SAID...
Old 04-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a sight that is being hit everyday. I sat from sun up to sun down yesterday and saw 4 turkies and an elk all day. I sharpened my broadheads 5 times or so and got so bored I was chucking sardine cans at my bait like hand grenades. No bear. I beleive that I have a night feeder or have been too cautious with scent control now that I have read these posts. I purchased a stealth cam and will put it out tonight to get a pic of the bait raider and also will record when it is coming in. We have had some warmer rains and I am going to check my new locations if the pass is clear. I beleive that maybe I should take in the shirt that I wore yesterday also and leave it in the stand.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 AM

thanks for the responce and the welcome
no cover scent being used we do change into hunting camo our stand is a 4by6 board ground blind at 100 yards when we bait we to go in with the bikes the sight is well established since 2003 +4 wegot 3 respectable bears its visted in past seasons by multapl blacks but never before this destroyed . we can only hunt evenings + saturdays as well we hunt on my partners private land and the blacks are plentiful 15 including cubs last spring but this one is smart we found fresh scat behind the stand maybe hes hunting us lol..... thanks for the input
Old 04-24-2005, 09:52 AM

I decided not to hunt bear this year and just concentrate on my field work and beaver trapping but have baited bears several times in the past. I found that you don't want that big of a hole in the barrel. You want the bears to come in and spend some time there pawing at it, rolling it around, having to work a bit to get the bait out of the barrel. A bear can reach its paw into a pretty tight spot so i usually cut a hole a little bit bigger than my own fist. I would say just keep an eye on it, if you feel they are cleaning you out too quickly close the hole off a bit with some wire or somethin, if you feel they aren't gettin enough out of it widen it out a bit etc. Good luck

Quick Reply: bear bait barrel question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.