Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Bow range,pratice for elk. >

Bow range,pratice for elk.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bow range,pratice for elk.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow range,pratice for elk.

He guys/gals just wondering on sufficent bow range when praticing.
I have been shooting my bow alot and was wondering how far to practice.
I have pins set @ 20,40,50 and 60.I use my 20 for my 30.Well what I'm getting at is I've been shooting from about every position from my knee's,around trees,accross my body and I pretty deadly out to 40 and I think that should be my max.

What do you guys practice at and whats your max I guess.
BBJ
Old 04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow range,pratice for elk.

I went to ID last fall and practiced hours on hours on hours every week, shot lots of 3D etc. So that if I had the chance I was good to go to 40-50 (50 on a PERFECT broadside, open, no wind, relaxed elk). I was ready.

Shot the bull at about 4-5 yards.

The further you can go the better, 40 will serve you just fine.

--Bob
Old 04-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Go up to 40 and stop at that distance much more and you are risking a bad shot and wounding the animal.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

He guys/gals just wondering on sufficent bow range when praticing.
I have been shooting my bow alot and was wondering how far to practice.
I have pins set @ 20,40,50 and 60.I use my 20 for my 30.Well what I'm getting at is I've been shooting from about every position from my knee's,around trees,accross my body and I pretty deadly out to 40 and I think that should be my max.

What do you guys practice at and whats your max I guess.
BBJ
You know Jack... when I used to shoot alot... about 70 yards was my max on Elk. I don't recall ever shooting past 50 yards on a bull (it was a clean kill btw).

Personally, I think with bowhunting, the most overlooked thing is bow weight.

Guys will pull too much weight. Holding Full Draw isn't as much of an issue anymore since the industry has moved from 40% & 50 % let off bows to 65% and even 80% let off bows. The issue is actually being able to draw the bow from a non-traditional position.

Can you sit on your butt and pull your bow?

Can you pull your bow when you are hunched over prior to rising and trying to clear the cover to make the shot?

Anway, I'll stop my preaching...

SA
Old 04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have harvested many elk with the bow and have yet to shoot one over 20 yards. I would not only practice to your comfortable range but would try to see how far out you can see small twigs. Those twigs could be the difference of a fast recovery and the hunt from hell.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some states like Idaho still have the 65% let off rule. I too limit my shots at 40 yards, but I do practice up to 60. The longest shot I have taken at a elk was my very first bull. He was 35 yards away. In the 12 years that have passed since that bull I have learned to become patcient (sp?) and let the elk get close, very close. I have killed a couple between 20 and 30 yards but my last 3 have all been under 20 yards.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

BBJ, I feel confident out to 40-yards. Last year my personal max-range was 30 to 35-yards if everything felt right? I shot my bow during the winter & spring this year. I now feel confident out to 40-yards.
IMHO 40-yards with a stick & sting is a long ways to shoot a bull elk.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:49 PM

Mostly I practice from 30 to 45 yards with my compound. My pins are set for 30, 45 and 60 yards. Although I shoot out to 60 in practice, I wouldn't shoot that far while hunting. Shooting a quiver at 60 makes the 45 yard and closer shots seem much easier. Good mental boost for me.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I practice/shoot regularily further than I would ever consider on a game animal and have found it has made me better at my hunting ranges. If conditions are right 45 yard shot is about max I will take on any game animal, in reality I have only shot 1 animal in that area the rest have been 35 or closer. So if you can confidently set a 40 yard max range you'll be more than set come elk season, but certainly wouldn't be worried if 30, 35 or whatever is what you set it at, just be realistic.

Practice how you'll hunt, meaning vary the shooting position, shoot on windy days, tight situation, wet weather, cold, etc. Then you'll know what your limits should be in terms of field or real life conditions you may endure on any hunt. Be honest with yourself and if 35 is stretching it than don't put yourself in a situation you may regret better to pass than leave with an arrow missing from your quiver and poorly stuck in an animal. No different than a rifle or ml really, they all far more capable than their shooters in most cases but you must adhere to your limits based on abilities.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

ELKcrazy8 said it right.
I shoot a mathews safari to elk hunt with Set at 90#s I can eazly shoot out to 80 yards but have never shoot at any elk or deer over 23 yards.I did how ever kill my prong horn at 58 yards. BUT in prong contray there is very few LITTLE STICKS or twigs.I shoot good it is in between the bow and the elk that there can be many many little problems.

Quick Reply: Bow range,pratice for elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.