Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

becoming a guide

Old 04-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Default becoming a guide

Does anybody have any tips for me. Iam interested in becoming a big game hunting guide. If anyone has any tips or ideas for me please reply back or e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: becoming a guide

Don't hook-up with USO. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Spike

MS..
I am in alberta, we have an association that deals with all the outfitters, I am not sure that B.C. has the same kind of deal, I have a link for you of outfitter info. I woud suggest that you look through them see who is in your area, what they hunt, and call who ever you are interested in, quite offten guys will pick up rookies, in the hopes that they will stick with them for a few years. finding guieds can sometimes be very difficult.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:42 PM

You might want to check out the college in Vermillion, Alberta. My one buddy is currently attending a guide course there and really seems to enjoy it. He is taught tracking, dressing, packing, horse care etc. Basically anything a big game guide may encounter. If you have quite a bit of knowlede already this may not be needed but it sure looks good on a resume.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:53 PM

Does anyone know any outfitters in BC or perferable Canada who might need guides in the future?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 PM

mooseslayer, perhaps you have already done this, but I encourage you to evaluate being a guide. Spend some time getting to really know what it means to guide. Your hunting season will be nearly non-existant, pay is pretty lousy, and the hours are terrible. You must be in top notch shape. I don't want to discourage you, but I would really spend sometime researching this kind of life. When I graduated highschool my goal was to move to the west, go to guide school and spend the rest of my life in the mountains. After I researched I decided the agony outweighed the glamour.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your hunting season will be nearly non-existant, pay is pretty lousy, and the hours are terrible.
That is why I will never guide for a living.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Just knowing that I would have to guide some whiney, big money, lazy, wanna-shoot-the-biggest-buck city slicker would keep me from wanting to do that for a living. Yeah I imagine it has some rewards, but I don't think I could deal with all the lazy people.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Out here where i live, you don't really need a guide unless its to help you FIND a spot to hunt lol
Old 04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guiding probably is not a full-time job. It would tend to cut into your personal hunting time, I would think. It has to be hard on the family life -- not being around to help your kids with school work, watching your kids play in their baseball/football games, not seeing too much of the wife --during the hunting season. Then again, I suppose some people find that guiding provides a supplemental income to other various money accumulating activities. Maybe a ranch hand can guide during slow work times?

Guiding would not be for me. I agree you ought to think this through carefully and separate the imagined glamour from the reality. Also, think twice about doing something you love for money. When money gets involved, things sometimes change and not for the better.

Quick Reply: becoming a guide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.