Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Serious Question

Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Serious Question

I have a serious question for everyone here, but I want you to give me a no b.s answer.
Be honest and don't worry about trying to sound good. I want to hear your opinions, not hear you bash any other members for theirs. O.K., and there is to be no mention of any type of guns...

So here it is

Your an ethical hunter with many years of hunting behind you, you enjoy your time hunting as both.. A. a chance to get out and spend time with good friends away from the concerns of family life, and B. a chance to enjoy the solitude, time for reflection, and personal grounding you get from hunting alone. You buy, or draw for your license every year, and are happy with the amount of game you harvest every year.

So now the Government comes to you and says, I think I am going to give you the right to hunt year round , with very little restriction on what game animals you can hunt, and the amount of these animals you can harvest.
Do you take advantge of the offer?, does it change the person you where before you were offered the rights?, are you going to become unethical?, shoot everything you see?, hunt out of season?.

Take some time and answer this as truthful as you can. If you would hunt year round say so, if you would shoot every big buck you see say so, You will not be persecuted for your answer.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Serious Question

I would hunt year round if I could. After a few years I might get totally burned out & stop hunting entirely???
Old 04-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

I may not be the type of "hunter" that you had in mind as my physical condition no longer lets me hunt very hard anymore. My hunting style was always" tree um" and let them run again another day. Bears, lions, bobs, and coon in that order. Guns were only taken if we had a young hunter who had never killed an animal yet, or if there was reason to believe the quarrie was a real trophy animal. I would support a longer season ONLY if the game population was such that it could handle the increased pressure and continue to maintain a constant number of quality animals.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Spike

thanks for your input Snooky..

However I did not want consevation to have anything to do with it, weather or not it can be supported was not something I want weighed into the reply. Basicly just if you where given the right, not everyone, just you.. would you abuse it? would it change who you are? ..that kind of stuff.

Again thanks for your reply though.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too would hunt year round but I would not kill everything I saw. If I harvested a deer that would be it until I finished off all the meat. Than maybe a while later I would take another. The same goes with rabbit etc... I would only take what I could eat at a given time. I just can't imaging shooting all those animals and then not eating them. As it is now it's almost as if you have to shoot as much as you can so you have enough meat to last you until next hunting season (which of course I never do ) I would also still respect what time of year it is as well. For example if the does were dropping their fawns I wouldn't shoot them as the young ones are still dependent on their mother. This again would hold true for most game.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it were me the only thing that would change would be every year their would be a Moose Hunt during the rut and I would have a full elk in my freezer by the end of the fall each year. My family now eats wild meat mostly and in a perfect year I don't need to buy a steak for the q come summer. I certainly wouldn't bang additional game, if it can not be used it is better to be left for another year or man IMHO. Abuse will only hurt myself in the long run, in one way or another. I would not use my right to fill others freezers either, my family is all I need to provide for and if I have a right given to me than it is for me not anybody I might know. I would also still hunt fall as I just love being in the woods this time of year and doubt I'd need more than that to fill the freezer for a year. If for some reason I couldn't then sure I would hunt when required, it would be a right given to me to sustain not just b/c I can kill!

I have never had a problem with those who can hunt and do hunt for food use only...but I have always had a problem with those who hunt just cause they can and only take a few choice cuts as they don't need to use all the meat b/c tomorrow, next week or next month is another hunting day! Not something I will ever be a part of, I love the game I hunt to much to ruin my future and others as well....we don't own the animals, god made them and I relish that fact it is privilege not a right to hunt, chase, harvest and ultimately enjoy them in both appearence and via tastebuds.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: BDOA

Do you take advantge of the offer?
YES

Does it change the person you where before you were offered the rights?
NO

Are you going to become unethical?
Why would I?

Shoot everything you see?
No... Just keep hunting for big Booner Animals

Hunt out of season?.
Yes... I would treat it like a replenishing Governor's Tag.

I'd hunt prime areas during the prime times... I'd keep hunting 82" Antelope, 190"+ Mule Deer, 375"+ Elk & etc until I had my fill...

Btw, I can gaurantee you that the first few years... some sheep would be dying...
Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

So now the Government comes to you and says, I think I am going to give you the right to hunt year round , with very little restriction on what game animals you can hunt, and the amount of these animals you can harvest.
shoot everything you see?, hunt out of season?.
Yip, sounds like our government alright, First they tell me that I can hunt year around, BUT then find a way to catch me "hunting out of season"!

Coyotes can be hunted year round here, and I don't do it! I like to hunt when it's cold and when my freezer is about empty!!
Old 04-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is an easy one for me. When I was a younger guy we hunted for meat. It didn't matter what time of year it was. When we needed meat we went hunting. There were not many seasons, or if there was, we didn't know about them. If it were ok for me, I would do the same thing again. I would however never shoot what you would call a trophy animal. I would shoot meat animals only. To me the does and cows taste much better. It really makes me angry when anyone shoots a trophy size animal illegally. How could that ever be a trophy. I am not a trophy hunter at all. I love to see the big bulls and big bucks stay out in the wild .
Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If anything I think I would become more ethical. Knowing the oppotunity is there whenever I would certainly become more selective. Whereas in a two week season coming down to the last couple days your not so selective.

Quick Reply: Serious Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.