Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

black bear punishment

Old 04-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Default black bear punishment

Hey guys do you have any ideas for me bears seem hard to put down. Last year a stalked a bear up to around 200 yards and took a broadside shot with my 30-06 After I shot I knew it might be trouble finding it, my first shot hit the ribs but to far back. But I followed the blood trail and the bear took 4 other shots to put him down.2 out 4 shots hit him threw the chest but the other two were too far back. Is it normal for black bears to take that much firepower before dieing?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: black bear punishment

To answer your question IME NO, as I've never seen a Black Bear travel more than 100 yards after taking out the lungs and/or heart that includes most with a bow. I have seen some tough longer tracks on single lung arrowed black bears though. The liver shot or guts like I believe you got on last years bear then they will go a ways, especially if pushed. If your shooting a bear with an 06 use a decent bullet and aim for the opposite leg, this will assure your into the vitals on a bear. A shoulder shot is an excellent bear stopper with a rifle. Being they are big and tough I would suggest using a premium solid constructed bullet like a nosler part., barnes, failsafe, etc 165 - 180 gr. which will benefit if you do contact the shoulder bone first.

Best of luck
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM

Yes, the shoulder is the way to go. Make sure to shoot through the vitals and into the opposite shoulder. You should always prepare to follow up.

Shot placement is key.
I have shot almost a dozen bears with my .270 and only had two bears that I had to shoot twice.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:39 PM

yeah mooseslayer aim for the other shoulder
Old 04-07-2005, 09:07 PM

Well there is nothing vital in the guts on any animal !!!. So if you hit any animal in the guts they can go untill it's out of blood. Specially if you hit it in the guts two times and made his adrlenline raise before you hit him in the vital (or he ran out of blood)and thats what kept him going !!

Last year i shot my black bear at 4 yards with my bow (stalked) and he went 15 feet before he took his last breath !.....SO isn't fire power that is your problem !!..Sounds to me like you need more pratice before going hunting !, And what does hitting in the ribs make a difference ??
Old 04-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree. It's not so much what you use but more of where you put it. I shot mine through the vitals and he didn't even take a single step and that was with a 130 gr .270 using cxp 2's. he weighed 415 and measured 20 11/16 "
Old 04-08-2005, 09:53 PM

Yep a bear hit solidly in the vitals will not make it near to 100 yards. You will find your bear within about 50 yards if the shot took out the lungs or heart. I like the lung shot myself, bigger target!! Know your range of what you can do with the weapon you are hunting with, and wait for the perfect shot. If you have a bear that made it over 100 yards it usually means you hit them in the liver (which is deadly given the animal is given the time to expire before taking up the chase) or worse the gut. If there is any question on the placement of the hit, wait. Then when you are done waiting,,,wait some more! Let them lay overnight if you can and you will find your trophy. Remember blackies don't bleed alot, so the blood trail often goes bad at around that 100 yard mark or so, making recovery very difficult, it can be done but it takes time and a good tracker.

Wait for the shot and know your weapon!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:55 PM

this year i hope to make a cleaner shot on my boar if I shoot at one!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hit my first bear in the liver w/ a 7mm mag. He went about 75 yards. I took my second bear w/ an 30.06 and hit him right behind the shoulder. He didn't take a step.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
DM

The BEST suggestion i have for you is, STOP shooting so far away at bears, and START practicing more with your rifle!!!

I'm not being a jerk, i'm being totally honest with you!!!

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: black bear punishment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.