Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

first time cow elk hunt

Old 03-27-2005, 04:01 PM

Default first time cow elk hunt

i am looking at booking a guided cow elk hunt, but don't really know where to go. i would like it to be a real hunt though not one where you walk out 200 yards from camp and shoot your elk. can anyone give me some advise on some good places to go? i would like to keep price to a minimum however i don't mind spending more if it means seeing more elk.

i live in PA and the closer it is the better but i don't mind a long drive if the hunt will be worth it.

thanks!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first time cow elk hunt

Do you mind if I ask........ why a cow hunt and not a bull hunt? Just curious.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 PM

I think Kentucky has a huntable elk herd.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

killer243, I know of some outfitters here in southeast Idaho that could be for you, shoot me an e-mail if you are serious and I give you the info about them. LIke my wife I am courios why if going with a outfitter on out of state hunt, you only want to hunt cows?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoud add there are many areas in different states here in the west, that you could do it yourself for cows. That would be a fairly cheap hunt.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:07 AM

the main reason is i am 15 and i could afford a cow elk hunt but not a bull elk hunt and i want to pay for my whole hunt instead of making dad and 3,000-5,000 is just to much for me. idahoelkinstructor i am very serious and i sent an email thanks for your help
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 AM

I am courios why if going with a outfitter on out of state hunt, you only want to hunt cows?
the only places here that you have any decent chance of taking an elk is behind fences and i just don't believe in that type of hunting. and i am going to hopfully just have a great time and put some meat in my freezer. and as much as i would like to shoot a bull i just can't afford it right now. besides if i see one bull on my hunt it would be well worth the time and money to me.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look into the landowner tags in New Mexico. The last time I checked you could get a guided cow hunt for $900 to $1,200.

Good luck,

WK
Old 03-28-2005, 12:47 PM

As far as New Mexico goes. The Jicarrila Apache Res. in Dulce NM has some real good cow hunts. I think the tag is $500. Stay in a hotel and pay a guide $200/day. You should fill your tags in 2 to 3 days. You will have to send in an application. find the web site for more information.

You also have time to appy for a public land hunt. Unit 2 is almost would be guarenteed draw. So a few hundred for a tag / tags. Not a guarenteed hunt but I have guided out there for the past 5 years and filled everyones tag so far.

Some other units for a late hunt would be 52 and 15. You could hunt on public land and the cost would not be very far off.

For the price I would really check the Jicarrilla hunt out. You would see some tremendous Mule deer, some fairly good bulls and plenty of Elk.

There are some resonable hunts in Northern CO, up around Craig. Landowner tags/guided hunts. Check the sp < Sonora Ranch >. It is the largest horse ranch in that country. Good wintering grounds and plenty of Elk.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roscoe...Kentucky allows 40 permits per year, 20 bull-20 cow, only 10% out of state. That means total 4 tags, 2 of which are cow.

Quick Reply: first time cow elk hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.