Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 shot placement on a bear???? >

shot placement on a bear????

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

shot placement on a bear????

Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default shot placement on a bear????

I am going bowhunting for bear for the first time this suumer up in Cananda... I was wondering what the vitals are like on a bear vs. a deer... Where is the high percentage shot on a bear etc...????

Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shot placement on a bear????

From my personal experiences they aren't too much different. Right behind the shoulder blade is still the best spot. The problem is that with the dark fur most people don't take the time to actually locate the shoulder blade. Rather they just guestimate where it is and shoot, alot of times resulting in a gutshot bear or one with an arrow in it's shoulder. The key is to take your time...locate the shoulder blade...and make a good shot right behind it.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just like bearklr mentions the biggest thing to avoid is the shoulder blade and it can result in over compensation and a gut hit on bears by a bowhunter...something you'd rather avoid! My best advice is wait for the near side shoulder to clear (mean move forward) then aim for the opposite leg on a broadside, this will put the arrow smack dab in the plumbing and will result in a quick/efficient kill. A quarter away is also a good shot with archery tackle, here take aim slightly behind the front shoulder. All other shots are at best hope and prayers on bear with archery tackle. If you hit a bit far back it will get the liver a lethal shot but one that should not be followed up on until the next morning! I assume you'll be hunting over bait, so a broadside or quarter away shot is very likely and it will probably be in the 20 yard range. Bear do not leave great blood trails due to the thick hair so make sure you watch and listen after the shot and commit to your memory bank. They often do not go far with a good hit but it makes for a less tense track knowing where he went and the sounds he made.

Best of Luck. Where are you going any ways?

Try this link to Black Bear Anatomy PDF
[link]http://www.bowzone.ca/pdf/bearshotplacement.pdf[/link]
Old 03-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Spike

A good rule of thumb with any animal, and any weapon, is.. SHOOT FOR THE EXIT.
Aim your shot with the exit hole as your main objective.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:11 PM

i shoot all of my animals behind the shoulder. but you do what you want.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember if you hit and wound a bear. The most inportant thing is to make sure you can run faster than your friend, or guide/outfitter!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: XArmy55

I am going bowhunting for bear for the first time this suumer up in Cananda... I was wondering what the vitals are like on a bear vs. a deer... Where is the high percentage shot on a bear etc...????

Thanks
Hey XArmy55,

Did you ever get that personal message that I sent you? I'd love to know what you decided to do.

Anyway, when it comes to bears, I recommed aiming a little higher than you would on lets say a deer. Many people don't realize how long the hair, at the bottom on the chest, is on some of these bears.

When it comes to where to aim... I use what I call a leg line and not the leg in many intances. A leg line is the imaginary line that the leg makes. It is just a windage setting, not an elevation setting

Anyway, on quartering away to broadside shots, I aim so that my arrow will hit the opposite front leg line on exit.

On quartering toward to broadside shot, I aim so that my arrow would almost hit the front leg line.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:44 AM

Take the time for it to put its paw forward and the sholder to move with it and then rate were the sholder was. My bear went less than 50yrds. and when we gutted it out there was a hole in the first lung and no heart or second lung.

P.s. There was no exit wound.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Spike

Anyway, on quartering away to broadside shots, I aim so that my arrow will hit the opposite front leg line on exit.

On quartering toward to broadside shot, I aim so that my arrow would almost hit the front leg line.
This what I mean buy aiming for the exit. See your shot path through the animal before you shoot.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:44 AM

Go here and take a look at this page ... This should answer your question's better Xarmy55, if you can see what the vitals and bone structure is like.
Anatomy is a good way to find the vitals and kill zones.

http://www.bowzone.ca/pdf/bearshotplacement.pdf

Here's one I took last year .. after I stalked him for 350 yards and an hour , with a 4-5 yard shot that only went about 10 yards before he took his last breath. I ended up shooting him out of a tree that he climbed up to get berries. So much Adrenaline , I will never forget that hunt. Good Luck to you this year.

Quick Reply: shot placement on a bear????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.