Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660 >

Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660

Old 01-10-2002, 01:53 PM

Default RE: Quads? Kawi 650 or Grizzly 660

340WM, You will be happy with either. For going thru mud, be careful of the Grizz. They have a reputation of sputtering. The theories I heard were either water getting on a connector or spark plug or when the hot pipe and motor hit the water there is a blast of steam that gets into the intake. It clears when the quad clears the water. Yama may have fixed it.

I will give you my opinion based on the basic designs of each.

Prairie - sporty. The motor is AWSOME. It is the hotrod of utility quads. It has a solid rear axel, good for sporty trail riding but it just might be what causes you to get stuck. It doesn't have a revlimiter in any foward condition. The reverce revlimiter is overridable with a button on the left side. Going from 2 wheel drive to 3 wheel drive is simple. (I say 3 wheel drive because the limited slip front diff on all quad except the Polaris and Bombardie(sp?) suck, it is not 4 wheel drive) True 4 wheel drive is with a brake like lever at the left hand. Some people don't like that.

Grizz - Excelent all around. The motor is slightly slower off the line were it counts but slightly faster top end than the prairie. The IRS (independent rear suspention) is good. If you are not riding fast trails, removing the rear sway bar makes it excelent. Unfortunatly, there is a revlimiter when in 4 wheel lock mode. It limits you to about 20mph. A reverce revlimiter keeps you under a few mph. The factory doesn't give a way to overide but I have seen some posted on the web. Going from 2 to 3 to 4 wheel drive are simple pushbuttoms.

Polaris has a reputation for poor quality. As I understand it, in '98 or '99 they had a major change in manufacturing phalosify(sp?). Now they make some very good equipment. The only weeknesses I am aware of are the tie rod end which can be replaced with industrial quality ones, damaging the front diff locks from severe missuse and compairitively high mantainence. I believe there are something like 27 zirk fittings on the sp 500 ho. I would have no ploblem spending my money on a polaris.

Other quads you should consider are the Suzuki Venson and the Bombardie Quest. The Venson is a 500cc quad built very similar to the prairie (ie solid axel, sporty). The Quest is the closest thing to bullet proof there is in a quad. It is ugly though.

I could go on but I can't type anymore.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2002, 10:31 PM

340wbymag, i have a honda foreman s and a kaw. 300 4x4. i have had the kaw. longer but i will assure you the honda is more relible. we live for atvs in south arkansas and i will tell you every polaris i have ever went on a ride with has broken. kaw . belt drives are nothing but junk. the yamahas are alot better machine. but in my opinion and experience the honda is the best. everybody has different taste but for the kind of money they cost pick carefully. the kaw. has cost me alot in parts but 2000 miles the honda hasnt missed a lick. and trust me it is used hard.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:58 AM

I appreciate everyone's help. I found a dealer that sells all three, they recommended test driving them (they have an offroad track) and then deciding.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-11-2002, 05:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-13-2002, 07:14 PM

first things first, dont buy a polaris, they suck. i have a 2001 yamaha kodiak. i think it is the greatest machine ever. if you ask me a 400 hundred is all you need. the kodiak was atv of the for 2 years in a row. you dont need a 650 or 660. sometimes you do need 4 wheel drive though. if you were to buy a big wheeler i would get the yamaha. i have ridden both the kaw and the yamaha, and yamaha is the best. honda is good too, but yamaha is just as good and not as expensive as the hondas. the best all around wheeler is the kodiak. take it from someone who spends all his time 4 wheelin and hunting get the kodiak.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:00 PM

I ride with them all, Kodiak's, Grizzly's, Polaris's, Ranchers, Rubicon's, you name it. My next quad will be a 2002 Honda Foreman S. Best bike for the buck and deffinatly the most reliable. The worst quad I have ever ridden was still a hell of a lot of fun though. Just my 2 cents.