Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Talk to me

Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Talk to me

I’ve done some traveling across North America and Africa and would be happy to
discuss my travels with anyone that would be interested. I’d also like to learn about the
travel and experience of other hunters too.

I am an author of a few hunting books that cover topics like: how we can help ensure
the future of hunting in the 21st century, hunting's origins, hunting ethics, fair chase,
wildlife management, conservation practices, our ecosystem and how it relates to
quality habitat, the effects of political pressures on hunting, and a look at the
anti-hunting and eco-terrorist agendas. I also have had my family to Africa on safari
with me (my wife, teenage son, 12 year-old daughter, and “grand ma” too.)

My work has been reviewed by the likes of American Hunter magazine(NRA), African
Hunter magazine, Tracker Outdoors, Two River Times...

I look forward to hearing everyone’s stories.

Ant
Old 03-10-2005, 03:47 PM

Default RE: Talk to me

I was just wondering what was the most dangerous encounter you had and with what
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 PM

There were two and they happened within one day of each other. I was riding back to camp in the "bakkie" (truck) with my professional hunter and the next thing I knew there was a snake with half of its body upright, mouth wide open, and hissing at us. The black inside of its mouth was a dead giveaway - a black mamba. The next thing I knew my p.h. screamed for the driver to stop the truck and I reflexively follwed him out of the truck in pursuit of the snake. The snake turned and literally jumped into a tree. The braches started about 9 feet off of the ground and if I was in awe of this because I had never seen a snake jump so high before (the snake was 8 feet long). We began shooting at it as it slithered through the branches (I had my rifle and the p.h. had a 9mm pistol). He eventually lodged a bullet in its midsection and it fell from the tree, more from the shock of the event then any damage from the bullet. My p.h. picked it up as it tried to wind itself away from us and he swung it over his head and hit its head on the ground. The snake was stunned and I finished it off by crushing its head with my foot. Once the action was over I asked the p.h. why we went after the mamba, after all, if you get bit by this snake the neuro-toxin can render a person dead in 10 minutes. He just said that he hated mambas and that he wanted to make sure o one else would encounter it.

The next day we were walking in high grasses at dusk heading for the bakkie. We both were walking at a similar pace and as we both put our foot down we heard an angry hiss coming from between us. We both froze and because the grasses were hip high we couldn't see what kind of snake it was. It seemed like we were frozen for an eternity and finally my adreneline gave me the power to leap backwards about eight feet from a standing-still position (it's amazing how danger can invoke superhuman strength because I can assure you my 49 year old body hadn't used those muscles in 30 years) and i brought up my rifle waiting for another 8 foot black mamba to rise from the grasses. Instead my p.h. slowly parted the grasses and was pulled a puff adder out using his shooting sticks. The puff adder has a hemo-toxin and a bite from that nasty bugger can swell muscle tissues until they burst open like an overcooked hotdog. It's not unusal for people to die from puff adder bites too.

I must admit that I didn't expect a question like yours. I'm certainly not trying to portray myself as macho, I just reacted to the circumstances in which I found myself. After those 2 days I never wanted to see another snake again.

There's a picture of me holding the black mamba on my website which is listed below.

Ant
Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Intresting story ap. I use to catch injured wildlife and relocate/capture gators, snakes and bears. I grew up with snakes and would assist in venom extractions also. I have been bitten by 4 rattlers and a cottonmouth (hemotoxins) leaving my left index finger deformed and numb but its there. When the cottonmouth bit me I immediately started to suck the venom out and in doing so I had a cavity in my mouth and by the time I got to the emergengy room two hours later the side of my face was swelling rapidly and in after a few days the swelling went down but then my hand was black and the doctor told me there was a good chance that hand is going to come off. Scarey. Even in my experience in dealing with reptiles I had a prarie rattler between my legs when I was hunting in the Mussleshell this year and it was just a buzzing, it leaves the hair standing on end and I ain't scared of sh!t. I jumped straight up and almost landed back on it but due to the cool temperatures it was a little lethargic. I did see it strike as I was jumpimg but the grass was knee high and it had trouble penetrating it too. I played with him a little afterwards and then said good bye. Bobby
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 AM

I jumped straight up and almost landed back on it
Bobby

It's amazing the effect adrelenine can have. My experience with the puff adder had me leap BACKWARDS from a frozen-still position a good eight feet. For a moment I thought I both invented and qualified for a new olympic event.

Those encounters of yours are really something. I'll leave the capture of those nasty little buggers up to you (you seem to have a good deal more experience with them!)

Ant
Old 03-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ap, out of practice since I moved here to the west side of montana, most dangerous snake we have on this side of the Divide is the garter snake. Snakes were the farthest from my mind when I got surprised by that rattler as there isn't any around here. I just worry about animals eaten me out here. Bobby
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM

Yea, it's the same here with garter sakes in NJ. I must admit that I WISH I could worry about being eaten by an animal in NJ! Unfortunately, i'm resigned to dodging cars when crossing the street and hoping to make the other side alive.

Ant
Old 03-13-2005, 11:36 AM

I tell ya what, that's pretty crazy. I'd love to go hunting over there, but I honestly dunno if I could handle the snakes. Long time ago I was out in my front yard when I heard this loud buzzing noise. I sorta figured it was a bee or something, but I went around back to check it out. Turns out my cat was trying to attack a 5 foot long timber rattlesnake right next to our water garden. Well, I hauled back inside, grabbed my shotgun and a handful of buckshot. Proceeded to annihilate two coy, the entire pond, the fountain, and finally the snake. Luckily my cat got out alright. but it was quite a snake. We've only seen 2 timber rattlers up here, but tons of coppers....Arg I hate snakes.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:11 PM

I was once bitten in the boot, by a Mohave Green. Kinda a cute little rattlesnake who carries cobra type venom. My companion thought I'd die of fright. [X(]
Old 03-13-2005, 04:08 PM

Dying of fright can be an option too with venomous snakes- especially if you get bitten in the boot! That's a CLOSE CALL!

Usually snakes are hibernating in the winter months in Africa so you don't see many snakes (our summer months). What happened is that South Africa was having an unusually wet winter (it rained in the evening with violent storms) and the reptiles wake from hibernation for self preservation reasons (they intuitively know that the water could flood their dens and drown them). That's why I happened to encounter them (lucky me).

Ant

Quick Reply: Talk to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.