Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Nosler Accubond Performance on Elk...Any first hand info? >

Nosler Accubond Performance on Elk...Any first hand info?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Nosler Accubond Performance on Elk...Any first hand info?

Old 02-23-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Nosler Accubond Performance on Elk...Any first hand info?

I've been shooting a 180 grain Nosler Accubond at the range with my 30.06. I don't really know much about the performance on an elk with these bullets, or any other game for that matter. All I know is they shoot great out of my gun. I've had a few 3 shot groups at 300 yards under 2" off my shooting sticks. It seems the nosler partition gets talked about a lot more than the accubond, I'm sure because it's been around longer. I can only get about a 4" group with the partitions at 300 yards. I know shot placement is the most important thing in harvesting an animal, but I was just wondering about that polymer tip upon impact. I'm going to try a few different loads with the partition this weekend. I've been shooting federal factory ammo so far, but I'm going to try some handloads. Thanks for any info.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nosler Accubond Performance on Elk...Any first hand info?

Pace Maker,

The Partition is talked about so much because it became the new std. a few years back and for good reason!!!!!!

The Accu-Bond is fairly new bullet ( Not design.......I think Hornady had the Inter-Bond first and maybe there was one b-4 that????)

Anyway I have used both. Ihave killed several Elk with the Partition with excellent results!! Last year I switched to the Accu-Bond for my .300wsm it shoots fantasticly and I took a bull down at 200 yrds one shot instant kill with a complete pass through. Also an excellent bullet!!!
Pick the one that shoots the best and your in like Flint!!1
Bill
Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used the AB for the first time last fall on game and it provided two dead animal (Young Bull Elk and Bull Moose) with complete pass thru's leaving approx. 2-3" exits. The elk was shot around 140 yards broadside and tore the lungs apart putting the elk into a nose dive and dropping in short order. The bull moose was around 100 yards and proved equal performance destroying the vitals and dropping him within 20-30 yards. I used a 7mmremmag with 160 gr version of the AB, previously the Nosler Parts(160gr) worked excellent as well but as you indicated and found the AB showed improved Accuracy over the NP's in my rifle as well so I just had to give them a go. I was very pleased and will be using them again for elk/moose.

Swift Scirocco was the first Bonded Polymer Bullet, then Hornady Interbond and followed shortly by the Nosler Accubond. I tried to get the Swifts but never could get them to fly worth a darn, something I hear many experienced (which might explain for the slow move to this style of bullet). I did also try the Hornady IB's but the Nosler AB bettered it in Accuracy slightly.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pace Maker, I used a 180 grain Accubond out of a .300 RUM moving at 3300 f/s on a 5x5 bull elk last year with excellent results. I had one shot pass through the chest boiler room and the other I found in the hide on the off side, after smashing through the spine. I didn't have to use a saw to cut the spine in half, a little knife work was all that was required, because the bullet did all the rest. If you go to Nosler Reloading Forums on their web site and look at the photo album and select bullet recoveries, they have a picture off my bullet their. Its under my name of screen name Idahoelkinstructor. I am a bow hunter first and formost and only rifle hunt now and then for different reasons. Last year has been my most recent rifle bull elk kill for quite sometime now, I don't know when I'll rifle hunt again, missing last years archery hunt in the rut dang near killed me, but anyway when I do go rifle hunting agian I will for sure use the nosler accubond again. Who knows I just might have to buy a second Idaho elk tag and try with a rifle too this year. Its good to know that with either the Partition or the accubond you can't go wrong. Good luck.