HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   .243 Win perfect for elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/91628-243-win-perfect-elk.html)

Gadd Zooks 02-23-2005 03:30 PM

.243 Win perfect for elk

Is anyone here familar with the .243 Win and its use to hunt elk with. With the recent development in premium bullets now available, isn't it time that we rethink this excellent little cartridge?

If I remember correctly, the late Bob Milek used the lowly .25-06 for his elk hunting.

KamiahKid 02-23-2005 04:03 PM

RE: .243 Win perfect for elk

Give me a break, no way is the .243 an elk rifle, premium bullet ot not!

RandyA 02-23-2005 06:32 PM

I have seen elk killed with a .243, my opinion, not enough gun unless you can consistently hit them in the head at 100yds. Give the animal a break! They deserve more respect than that. A clean humane death if you are going to do it.

I don't recall Bob consistently using a 25-06, and if he did he was an excellent shot and held his shots to close ranges. He was an advocate of a 30-06 and all those contenders.

AlaskaMagnum 02-23-2005 06:37 PM

As Chris Rock would say

"I can drive a car with my feet, that still doesn't make it a good idea!"

.243 for elk is irresponsible

RedAllison 02-23-2005 06:41 PM

Good grief Charley Brown! [:o]

Sure it "has" killed some elk, but then likewise a .22LR has been used to take down a pachyderm or two. But that makes neither a "trustworthy" candidate. Cleanly taking deersized game with hopped up .22 centerfires and .24s is a FAR cry from using one to take elk. Sure if you have plenty of time, are willing to let many go in the quest for "just the right shot" yeah the .243 will work for elk. But that is a LONG way from being able to call the caliber a good one for wapiti.

A premium bullet fired into the lungs inside of 100-150yds "might" take one down. But it wont do it quickly. Elk can cover a hell of a lotta land in that time frame. How humane is that? Simply putting a hole in their boiler room isn't enough. Stick that same bullet into the top of the neck and it likewise "might" take em cleanly sometimes. But what about the other times when it doesn't?

I don't know about Milek using a 25/06 for elk. If he did it was under my above mentioned conditions, he was a writer with more than an occasional chance at them and I assure you he didn't prowl around on a place like White Mountain Apache in quest for a B&C class bull with nothing more than a quarter bore! Roy Weatherby LOVED his .257 and occasionally took elk with it, but even he knew the limits of the bullets and that round when dealing with animals over a couple of hundred pounds in size. Besides that, a .257 Wby loaded with something like a 117 Xbullet is a FAR cry from your ordinary .243 Winnie.

Good luck none the less,
RA

llbts1 02-23-2005 06:54 PM

No way I would ever consider doing that. Larry

RandyA 02-23-2005 07:20 PM

Bob pretty much used the 30-06 and it was his favorite. He may have used the 25-06 but I can't ever remember him talking much about it. Like I said he loved the handguns, as well as the contender. He was an excellent shot with them. The .30 Herret was his pet as was the 7x30 waters.

Sharp Shooter 02-23-2005 07:26 PM

I dont think it is the best elk rifle. I think you need a 270, 7mm, or a 300.

bigbulls 02-23-2005 07:31 PM

Man I have a hard enough time convincing folks that the .270 Winchester is a good elk cartridge.

Good luck on this one.;)[8D]

BTW, IMHO the .243 is no where near being an elk cartridge. Regardless of what bullet is used.

idahoelkinstructor 02-23-2005 08:46 PM

I agree with what everyone has said, unless you are willing to pass on several elk waiting for the right shot then its a bad choice in caliber. I honestly don't feel that the average hunter would be willing to pass on a shot if the bull of a lifetime walked out. I would be willing to bet the majority of hunters would shoot and take their chances of killing the bull. Some might get lucky and some will wound elk. If I had a choice of using a .243, or my bow, hunting elk in September. I would choose my bow any day of the week.

Slamfire 02-23-2005 09:18 PM

I suppose it would be adequate for an experienced, deliberate hunter. Someone who knows that if you want to reduce a big bull to possession, you can't just nick a lung. One who knows you can't shred elk lungs like you can deer. One who knows you'd better get the heart/aorta, or be ready for a long, high speed chase. Of course, that goes for danged near every other cartridge carried by "elk" hunters, also.

handloader1 02-23-2005 10:56 PM

.243 Win. for elk, NO!!!

Good luck.

deerslayer223 02-23-2005 11:13 PM

243 is deffinately no elk rifle. The minimum i would use is a 7mm08 and that would only be with a permium 160gr bullet and broadside shots 200yds or less!

rather_be_huntin 02-24-2005 11:39 AM

Definitely not an elk rifle.

TerryM 02-24-2005 01:47 PM

When getting the chance to kill a large and majestic animal like an elk or any game animal for that matter any person with morals would want to make the kill as quick and humane as possible. Shooting an animal with a tiny bullet is not like landing a 6 lb trout on 4lb test. Why do people think they should use a minimum or marginal round to hunt anything? Kill them quick or don't hunt!! [:@]

glob3006 02-24-2005 05:48 PM

.243 Win NOT perfect for Elk Sure bullets are better built these days. But we have also gotten smarter and more ethical as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also think that states such as Colorado (Where I live ) Should revise there minimum caliber requirments for game animals larger than Deer. Namely Elk and Moose.

As it reads.....Must be .24 cal.(6mm) or larger and must be at least 85 grns. w/ 1000 ft lbs. of energy @100yrds.

I just don't think that the caliber and weight are enough ( Ethicly) for the average 90% of hunters to take these animals CLEANLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Buglin Big Bulls 02-25-2005 04:25 AM

This is too funny , i think you guys scared him off ...I agree with all of you tho ...Put 'em down quick .. 338 win mag knocks 'em flat on there're butts.:D

And idahoelkinstructor Amen to your closing statement !!

northslope nimrod 03-01-2005 09:18 AM

.270 good for elk? Nope! Many of my old hunting buddies used to use the .270. Most have switched now after years of elk getting away. Will it kill the elk? YES. Will you find the elk once it dies......probably not.
.243 for elk? My cousin used one the first year he hunted elk. I think he actually killed a four point. He shot it at about 80 yards. It then...luckily...ran straight at him and he shot it in the chest and it finally dropped. I use 180 grain soft in a 30-06 and I'm STILL nervous about dropping them. Last year I shot a 6x6 through the liver at 40 yards....I then shot him in the lungs as he ran twice more. Then I shot him in the neck and he fell. Then he ran again and I shot him in the neck and he fell dead. My point...even at close range... you may not hit the perfect vital spot.....The larger calibers hopefully will give you the added "shock" to drop him. The .243 is too risky...unless you like and stick to head shots.

Wolf killer 03-01-2005 10:12 AM

I have avoided this topic because I disagree with the use of a 243 for elk.
I got to thinking? Maybe this thread was statred by ELKampMaster, just to stir the pot?:) ELKampMaster is that you?

Hiawatha 03-01-2005 12:27 PM

.243 perfect for elk? I dunno what your smokin but hey pass it around.

whitetailhunter4637 03-01-2005 08:19 PM

I dont think the 243 would be such a good idea. I would go 270, 308, 30-06, calibers in that category.

oldelkhunter 03-02-2005 11:40 AM

I think someone is out to stir things up even someone with a room temperature IQ knows its not an Elk cartridge.

Jeep4x4 03-04-2005 08:09 AM

Load up some solids :D

Rebel Hog 03-04-2005 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: northslope nimrod

.270 good for elk? Nope! Many of my old hunting buddies used to use the .270. Most have switched now after years of elk getting away. Will it kill the elk? YES. Will you find the elk once it dies......probably not.
.243 for elk? My cousin used one the first year he hunted elk. I think he actually killed a four point. He shot it at about 80 yards. It then...luckily...ran straight at him and he shot it in the chest and it finally dropped. I use 180 grain soft in a 30-06 and I'm STILL nervous about dropping them. Last year I shot a 6x6 through the liver at 40 yards....I then shot him in the lungs as he ran twice more. Then I shot him in the neck and he fell. Then he ran again and I shot him in the neck and he fell dead. My point...even at close range... you may not hit the perfect vital spot.....The larger calibers hopefully will give you the added "shock" to drop him. The .243 is too risky...unless you like and stick to head shots.

WOW! Thats CUT & WRAP, MAN!!!

mybigredford 03-04-2005 05:20 PM

yeah i think a .243 is a little light, i would start with at least 7MM and go from there, i personally would use a 30-06 or .300 for that type of animal. i use my 30-06 and havent had a problem shooting moose, so elk should be close to the same.

Buckshot 03-05-2005 01:06 PM

If I had a choice of using a .243, or my bow, hunting elk in September. I would choose my bow any day of the week.
Your kidding me right? you really think that a bow is a more effective weapon that a PROPERLY loaded .243? There isnt an elk alive that will travel far after being hit thru the lungs with a PROPERLY loaded .243. Remember its not what you hit them with its where you hit them, an elk shot thru the guts with a ultra mag is still an elk shot thru the guts. Now having said that the .243 is not an elk cartridge, to many things can and will go wrong with a shot to rely on a bare minimum cartridge. On a side note, my buddy from Arco has shot more elk than than you could stack up in a tractor trailer with a 22-250.

Oh for you guys who say a .270 isnt an elk gun.

Shot with a 7mm-08 at 60 yards, it dropped where it stood. Bullet went thru both shoulders.

Rebel Hog 03-05-2005 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

If I had a choice of using a .243, or my bow, hunting elk in September. I would choose my bow any day of the week.
Your kidding me right? you really think that a bow is a more effective weapon that a PROPERLY loaded .243? There isnt an elk alive that will travel far after being hit thru the lungs with a PROPERLY loaded .243. Remember its not what you hit them with its where you hit them, an elk shot thru the guts with a ultra mag is still an elk shot thru the guts. Now having said that the .243 is not an elk cartridge, to many things can and will go wrong with a shot to rely on a bare minimum cartridge. On a side note, my buddy from Arco has shot more elk than than you could stack up in a tractor trailer with a 22-250.

Oh for you guys who say a .270 isnt an elk gun.

Shot with a 7mm-08 at 60 yards, it dropped where it stood. Bullet went thru both shoulders.
I always knew it!......Glad you posted the picture,Buckshot!.........People just don't believe it can......
Guys read the top of picture {.270} not {.243}this is what I'm reffering too! .270 YES!!!

RandyA 03-05-2005 02:57 PM

On a side note, my buddy from Arco has shot more elk than than you could stack up in a tractor trailer with a 22-250.

Where is Arco? I don't know of a single western state where a 22-250 is even legal to hunt elk with.

Rebel Hog 03-05-2005 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: RandyA

On a side note, my buddy from Arco has shot more elk than than you could stack up in a tractor trailer with a 22-250.

Where is Arco? I don't know of a single western state where a 22-250 is even legal to hunt elk with.

Randy...he didn't say LEGAL....he said 22-250! Arco might stand for ARCADE?

RandyA 03-05-2005 03:14 PM

So his buddy is from Arcade? Oh ok!

All I am saying is, in western states a 22-250 is illegal to hunt elk with.

Rebel Hog 03-05-2005 03:19 PM

Randy,

In fla., for Deer it's illegal with 22-250...

Buckshot 03-05-2005 04:18 PM

Arco is in Idaho

idahoelkinstructor 03-05-2005 05:30 PM

To let everyone know Arco is a town in Idaho, its about 60 miles west of Idaho Falls which is where I live.

Buckshot, no I am not kidding that I would use my bow over a .243. I am not saying a .243 will not kill an elk, but in September there is nothing like the rush of having a bull come screaming into you. I have even called back bulls and cows into me after the first shot and was able to put another arrow into them. Most elk after being hit with a well placed arrow throught both lungs will only travel 40-80 yards on average. I have seen elk after being shoot that still didn't even know I was their and went beck to feeding. Also many, many of times after I or my hunting partners have shot an elk and watched it lay down. Knowing its dead but waiting 15 minutes or so just to be sure, only to then have other bulls come into bow range. We could have killed several elk if we so desired or had tags left. I compare this to rifle hunting draw hunts with family and friends in early Oct. I have been asked on such hunts to be the caller. I have yet to be able to call an elk back into us after it was either missed or hit and running. When the gun goes bang most elk run like hell and there is not much you can do to stop them. Now with all this said I am not saying a .243 will not kill a elk at bow range and beyond. My bow range limit is 40 yards and under. The longer I bow hunt the more patience I have learned, and as a result the last 3 bow kills have been at 15, 3, and 18 yards in that order. My longest bow killed elk was my very first bull with a bow, at 35 yards and I have killed several in between 20 and 30 yards. Also all of my bow killed elk were broadside or quartering away, a perfect shot with any weapon. Again I am not saying under these conditions that a .243 will not kill an elk, with a good premium bullet it might be even better than a bow. What I am saying is I don't need a rifle to hunt elk in September, not trying to sound cocky but I feel that I and other dedicated bow hunters will kill more bulls in September with bows than most rifle hunters will in mid October to mid November. I am also saying that most rife hunters if given a .243 to hunt with will not make a smart choice with shot decision if a big to huge bull presents itself. They will shoot because it is, or they think it is the bull of a lifetime, they will shoot and take their chances on killing the animal. I have seen too many hunters hunting with both weapons come unglued and make bad decisions at the moment of truth. A .243, like a bow has no margin for error. I have yet to loose an elk with a bow (Thank my lucky stars). Last year I did rifle hunt for bulls in Oct, it was the first time for quite awhile that I have hunted with a rifle. I even had to buy a rifle, for the hunt becaue I simply didn't own one. In making my selection I wanted a rifle that I could reach out with force and knock a bull off its feet up 500 yards. A .243 will not do that, but a .300 Ultra Mag could as well as a lot of other choices. As it turned out I shot my bull at 70 yards broadside, a .243 could have done the job. But it was nice to see the bull flatened with the first shot, and I liked haveing the ability to shoot far as well. I hope I haven't offended you I am only trying to explain my statement and let you know I wasn' kidding. If I have offended you I am sorry. Jason.

Buckshot 03-05-2005 05:57 PM

Nope not offended in the least. And while I agree with you that the average archery hunter is much more careful about shot placement then the average rifle hunter, I still believe that as far as sheer killing capacity a .243 is head and shoulders above a bow. But like I said before, I wouldnt reccommend using it to hunt elk with.

I too hunt animals with a bow, havent hunted elk yet with a bow, but Im working on it. From my point of view there is nothing in hunting that compares to shooting an animal close up and personal with a bow. I really like the fact that your average bow shot on elk is comparable to my average bow shot on deer, gives me hope for when I do head out west for an archery hunt. Again no harm no foul, I knew your statement wasnt ment to offend me or anyone else for that matter, and I hope you were not offended by any of mine.

BTM 03-05-2005 09:21 PM

I always laugh when some gun writer says a man should use at least a 30-06 on elk, but a .243 is OK for a woman or kid who can't handle a larger rifle's recoil. Like the elk would care!

NVMIKE 03-06-2005 03:41 PM

my wife uses a 300win mag I love the 6mm but when useing it to hunt elk I was forced to pass up some shots I wouldnt even have thought about passing on w/ a 7mag or up. I to once thought the 270 was an elk gun, but it to is marginal for use on elk, it'll work as will the 243, but you HAVE to be willing to pass on shots even if you see that bull of a lifetime, I wouldnt want to pass on a 350yd shot at a 350+BC bull because I was carrying my 6mm instead of my 300

Jeep4x4 03-06-2005 07:18 PM

I wouldnt use a .243 on elk unless its with a super fast 100gr partition or a-square bullet.

GooseHunter Jr. 03-07-2005 08:54 AM

I would never use a .243 for elk. I killed my first elk with a .257 Roberts and that was pushing it. I would go with atleast a .270...me I shoot a .338 now.

ELKINMTCWB 03-07-2005 09:22 AM

I am with IDAHOELKINSTRUCTOR. I would allso use my bow befor I will ever use a 243 for elk.I have lived in montana for 6 years and killed 7 elk.One of my elk was killed with a 223 when I was out cuting wood.THIS will never happen agin.I did not give the elk the respect it needs.I shot the elk right behind the ear,it droped like a rock.When I was gutting the elk it came back awake [the bulet did not go though its skull so it was just knocked out] I had to track a bull with MOST of its guts draging the ground for around 400 yards.I did learn from my misstake and will NEVER shoot a elk with out useing a gun of respectable calliber.
When I moved to montana all I had to hunt with was a 30-06.After seeing many elk shot with rifles I now own a 300 win and a 300 wetherby.I do not think any bullet under the 30 cal is enough for elk hunting every year for the avrage hunter. The 270 is a very popular round so there will allways be people that shoot elk with it and kill them.Most people that shoot an elk with it and did not recover it will not post it.
My wife shoots a 300 win mag.This last year she shot one of her many elk at around 40 yards.The shot was placed in the basket.The elk than went well over 300 yards UP HILL.When guting the elk I inspected the damage from the bullet.The bulet whent one loung and allmost cut the top of the hart off.
I think what it comes down to is most people use the gun they have AND most people are deer hunters so the gun is for deer and they do not want to buy a difrant gun for elk or cant.

Buckshot 03-07-2005 02:47 PM

For the guys that distrust using anything under 30 cal, you have to realize that isnt 20 years ago when all people had to choose from were the standard soft points, todays premium and hand loaded ammunitions bare little resemblence to what you and your dad were using back in the day. I really did my home work before deciding to carry my 7mm08 as my main gun. After hours of home work and several trips to the range it became quite apparent that the barnes XLC bullet was just the ticket for elk. I could safly up the velocity a couple of hundred FPS over a standard bullet and they shot great. I used them to shot a whitetail buck with and the results where spectacular, the bullet broke the near side shoulder traveled the complete length of the body and exited the offside ham. After that performance I didnt have any reservations at shooting an elk upto and including 300 yards.