HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   .243 Win perfect for elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/91628-243-win-perfect-elk.html)

Topgun 3006 06-27-2014 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by homers brother (Post 4145998)
But it sure is funny watching you all wish that you could just come out and say that. C'mon, just do it and get it over with.

There are very few people I hunt with who I would say are good enough to use a .243 on an elk. Some of them can't even seem to consistently kill a deer with one shot from a .270 either. The .270 is a fine elk cartridge, but in their hands I wouldn't recommend IT for elk, either. And if they can't shoot a .270 well, I'll put money on their not being able to shoot a .300 or .338 any better.

I consider myself fortunate to have cut my teeth on a .243. No question, it's light. But I owe my proficiency with much heavier chamberings to my early days with the .243. It demands marksmanship, and it doesn't forgive bad hits on game. It's not for everyone. It's obviously not for you. But, you might exercise some caution if you're using what the rifle or cartridge looks like - rather than what the rifle or cartridge does - as the measure of the hunter's skill or effectiveness. Ultimately, it's the hunter that makes the difference - no matter what it is they're shooting.

Regardless of the skill of the person behind a .243, it's too small a caliber to be shooting big game like an elk with and expect a quick, humane kill. The places where the biggest share of elk live is not hospitable for a tracking job when the animal doesn't go down quickly and for the most part the .243 is not going to give an immediate kill unless the shot is to the head or spine. Both of those shot placements are more than iffy and shouldn't be taken. Sure it will kill the animal, but how far will an elk go in even just 30 seconds after hit with one. The answer may be 1/4 mile or more through terrain that would make a tracking job and recovery very difficult. That's what most are trying to say on this or any thread that discusses these small calibers for a use other than what the caliber or cartridge was designed for. FACT: The .243 was not designed to be hunting an animal any bigger than an average size deer, which is a fraction of the size of even a mature cow elk! I really get tired when people say it's all in where the bullet is placed and not the caliber. That's a big bunch of hogwash and it shows they know nothing about the minimum ft./lbs of energy that the majority of experts in the field of ballistics and hunting say should be used for these bigger animals for a quick, humane kill. The last part of that sentence is the key and not that the .243 can't do the job.

Muley Hunter 06-27-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by homers brother (Post 4145998)
But it sure is funny watching you all wish that you could just come out and say that. C'mon, just do it and get it over with.

There are very few people I hunt with who I would say are good enough to use a .243 on an elk. Some of them can't even seem to consistently kill a deer with one shot from a .270 either. The .270 is a fine elk cartridge, but in their hands I wouldn't recommend IT for elk, either. And if they can't shoot a .270 well, I'll put money on their not being able to shoot a .300 or .338 any better.

I consider myself fortunate to have cut my teeth on a .243. No question, it's light. But I owe my proficiency with much heavier chamberings to my early days with the .243. It demands marksmanship, and it doesn't forgive bad hits on game. It's not for everyone. It's obviously not for you. But, you might exercise some caution if you're using what the rifle or cartridge looks like - rather than what the rifle or cartridge does - as the measure of the hunter's skill or effectiveness. Ultimately, it's the hunter that makes the difference - no matter what it is they're shooting.

Yes, it is the hunter that makes the difference. That's why I wouldn't recommend a cartridge that takes good marksmanship. If someone has to ask if a .243 is enough for elk. I have little faith in their shooting ability, or their hunting skills.

I don't have a problem with someone using a .243 for elk if they've never lost an elk to one. I think some hunters who claim to use a .243 for everything have lost game, but never talk about it.

Experienced hunters who have shooting skills don't ask questions on hunting forums. They answer them.

Topgun 3006 06-27-2014 08:06 AM

Pete---The last two sentences of your post said it all and I hope people take it in and digest it thoroughly!!!

buffybr 06-27-2014 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by RandyA (Post 946607)
Where is Arco? I don't know of a single western state where a 22-250 is even legal to hunt elk with.

Montana does not have any caliber restrictions for hunting big game. Several of my friends have used their .22-250s for 40 or so years to kill their elk.

Does that make a .22-250 an ideal elk cartridge? No. These guys are locals, have been hunting elk all of their lives, and are excellent shots. They have all season to hunt, and they are not afraid to pass on questionable shots .

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4146015)
Yes, it is the hunter that makes the difference. That's why I wouldn't recommend a cartridge that takes good marksmanship. If someone has to ask if a .243 is enough for elk. I have little faith in their shooting ability, or their hunting skills.

I don't have a problem with someone using a .243 for elk if they've never lost an elk to one. I think some hunters who claim to use a .243 for everything have lost game, but never talk about it.

Experienced hunters who have shooting skills don't ask questions on hunting forums. They answer them.

I can't argue with that.

jerry d 06-27-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by buffybr (Post 4146029)
Several of my friends have used their .22-250s for 40 or so years to kill their elk.

Does that make a .22-250 an ideal elk cartridge? No. These guys are locals, have been hunting elk all of their lives, and are excellent shots. They have all season to hunt, and they are not afraid to pass on questionable shots .

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ plus a well constructed bullet makes it doable, does it make it "ideal" not IMO.

jerry d 06-27-2014 11:34 AM

Heres a video of elk hunting w/ a 243: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

Muley Hunter 06-27-2014 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 4146042)
Heres a video of elk hunting w/ a 243: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

I cringed when this video first started to be passed around. This is one of the major problems with someone new who buys a .243 for elk. They over extend the range that it's effective, and fail at the kill.

Not everybody will have the gun in the video, or the handloaded round along with all the coaching she's getting. Not to mention she didn't shoot a bull.

Worst video ever put on the net. I'm sure it caused many wounded elk.

jerry d 06-27-2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4146043)
This is one of the major problems with someone new who buys a .243 for elk. They over extend the range that it's effective, and fail at the kill.

Mulie,
No matter what cartridge/caliber I'm shooting, at that distance,it's over extended!!!!

Topgun 3006 06-27-2014 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4146043)
I cringed when this video first started to be passed around. This is one of the major problems with someone new who buys a .243 for elk. They over extend the range that it's effective, and fail at the kill.

Not everybody will have the gun in the video, or the handloaded round along with all the coaching she's getting. Not to mention she didn't shoot a bull.

Worst video ever put on the net. I'm sure it caused many wounded elk.

I'd bet without even bringing that video up that it's the one where Burns has that young girl shoot a cow elk at almost 700 yards with his .243 and berger bullets with his fancy scope with adjustable turrets. She'd never shot at a big game animal in her life and had never even fired a practice round with that rifle before he pulled that stunt with her. Many long range shooters even raised hell with him for that stunt and thats' all it was! His only comeback was that they were jealous that it was a girl who made the shot. The guy deserves to be tarred and feathered for putting that crappola out on the net. These long range shooting shows are just as bad because they do the same thing many times, but at least they have a decent caliber for the game. However, all of those shows are designed strictly to sell equipment and they make it look like all you have to do is buy it, load it up, and it will automatically kill a deer or bull at 1000+ yards. Ask RR on this website how many hours of practice he puts in to do that type of shooting because I know it's more than the next 100 average people added together!

c-rad 06-27-2014 01:14 PM

I would like to see how many elk are wounded each year from all weapons because people are shooting beyond their capabilities. I was watching 4 bulls this morning. I ranged them at 191 yards. With a rifle not a terrible range. How many muzzleloader hunters would have attempted that shot instead of trying to get closer?