Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Boot Suggestion

Old 02-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Boot Suggestion

Hi-

Going for elk in mid October out in the Stanley, Idaho area. Any suggestions on boots for hunting. I usually like to go light, like with a Merrell or Vasque goretex Hiking boot, but have also been looking at the danner pronghorns....

thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Boot Suggestion

I personally like the added support of a little taller boot when in elk country. This past year I picked up a pair of Cabelas Kangaroo boots and found them to be excellent. Light weight and excellent support. Whatever you decide, buy them early and have them well broke in BEFORE your hunt. New boots can end your hunt on the first day.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have only one boot that I wear anymore. Canadas by Meindl, they come from Cabelas. These babies are built for mountains and hunting.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Danner makes a good light boot in th Pronghorn series.I tend to like a insulated pair due to the uncertain weather,like at least 400 gram.I have a pair of Danner elk hunters that are good boots and a pair of Georgia pro hunter something or other in 600 gram and they have held up for 5 years.
BBJ
Old 02-23-2005, 06:40 PM

I have three different pairs of Meindls for different kinds of hunting. I will not purchase any other boot.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be nice to have one boot that is good for all climatic conditions. I don't wear the same boot bowhunting in Sept. that I would hunt with in Nov. If if I am hunting the "Breaks" in Rattler country, then I'm going to my sub-zero boot which are snake proof. 2 or even 3 pair of boots are a must for a back up, suggest breaking them/yourself in very early. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 02-25-2005, 04:38 AM

Danner all the way , nothing else compares to a Danner.. a little spendy , but when you see and feel the quality & comfort , you wont be dissapointed . That is all i have always worn , since my hunting days started years ago, and all i will wear. Good luck on your hunt , show us some pics of the hunt !!!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have have owned many brands of boots but now I use only meindls.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:42 PM

I agree, Meindls are the best boot I have worn for the mountains in Idaho. They have better side hill support than my Danners too. If you plan to do any walking in the snow I DONT recommend the Danner Fronteir Extreme, they soak up the water and add at least a pound or two to pack around. Good Luck
Old 02-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

I used the Readhead 12" mountain guide boot this past season in Co.best boot I have owned(better than my Danner elkhunters even!) 600 gr insallation,great side and ankle support and very durable and comfortable!I bought these specifically for the extra support they offered in rough rugged terrain due to a weak ankle and they preformed flawlessly.

Quick Reply: Boot Suggestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.