Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Calls?

Old 02-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Calls?

Let me start off first by saying that elknut is not a self proclaimed expert. Paul has rubbed elbows with the best and has given them pointers also. He is well known in the elk hunting community, not because he has taken a bull now and then but because he has taken many and helped others take many, at times giving up his opportunties so that one can get their first elk. It is kind of hard to sit back and watch such a giving person being lamb basted about being a self proclaimed expert when in fact he is the most giving person that I have known and would be the last to call himself an expert(even though he is). There are people on this site that are very accomplished hunters. Most of them hunt with a bow during the rut when the elk are very vocal and pretty much undisturbed. If you total up the amount of elk that have been called in by some of the members of the post, it would easily be in the hundreds. When you spend enough time with the elk you will know what they are saying and why. Until I embraced the fact that the elk had a language I would kill one now and then. When I studied everything that I could incuding elk, I learned that they would make certain calls in certain situations and since I have filled tags every year. Brainwave studies are not needed. Most science is figured through observation and study. Alot of which has been done by Paul. He is very open and shares his information freely. Sure he sells videos and does seminars but does not withold information to paying customers. I know for a fact that Paul has spent the time neccessary to compile significant findings from his studies. You are doing yourself a huge disservice by not enbracing this fact that elk do have a language. I would call myself a fair elk hunter before meeting Paul. I have had several published articles on elk hunting, been an editor for a well known hunting magazine and am sponsored by prominant archery companies. I still learned from this man. The people who you are bashing are very accomplished people and not a bunch of yahoo's.

In response to the original post I would go with the carlton estrouse whine in which you can communicate that the estrouse cylcle is on. Another is the woodswise hyper hot. You will be able to communicate that the estrouse is on and can give the sounds that a cow makes while being held down by a bull. Don't forget to get yourself a pallet plate reed and grunt tube. While making the sounds of a cow being held against her will you can imitate the bull holding her back. Not all bugles are for bulls to hear. Some bugles will mimmick the bull telling the cow that she is not getting away. This deals with the threat levels that Paul has done so much preaching about. The bull will do alot of huffing and grunting when he his trying to pin the cow down. I used this method last year and pulled in several bulls from different directions. The two of us that were hunting had two bulls down within 10 minutes of each other.

Keep up the good work Paul, there are some that appreciate the information that you give.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Elkcrazy8, couldn't have said it better! If they don't want to believe then that is their choice and their the ones missing out. But like I said before Paul is right on the money. He has taken the information and knowledge from well known call manufactures and hunters, like Wayne Carlton, HS-Strut Calls, Primos Calls, and a bunch of other "experts" and only added to it. I have talked one on one with Wayne Carllton, he went hunting and is friends with a fellow archery education instructor that I teach with here in Idaho Falls. Wayne is a great and knowledgeable man, but with that said given the opprotunity to hunt along side him or elknut I would choose Paul! I have got to speak with Paul a couple of times now, and he has taken his personal time out to give me elk hunting advice, calling advice, and to listne to what I had to say as well. If someone has truly spent the time and effort to learn about elk, then they will see for themself that Paul is 100% correct. Then they also might understand that Paul is a awesome, great, unselfish guy who is willing to help and bend over backwards to help his fellow hunters out. Think about it, he could have been very selfish and just kept what he learned to himself. I wouldn't hold it agains anyone who did that because they did all the hard work to learn that info themself. But Paul didn't he loves elk and elk hunting too much, and enjoys shareing and talking about it to others. Yes he does make and sell instructional elk videos that are very, very good for beginer and expert alike. But he says the same thing and tells people the same info here on the web and over the phone at no charge at all. What more could you ask in a fellow elk hunter. enough said, Jason
Old 02-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Paul slow down, you have enough GRAY HAIR. Elkcrazy8, Idahoelkinstructor, let me take a stab at this one. When Jenny elk is telling Suzzie elk she went to the beauty shop for a perm, I have to admit that I did miss that conversation, didn't get it at all. However when Jenny elk tells Suzzie elk that is my man get away, I did get that one. Or When John bull tells Harry bull those are my cows back off, I did get that one to. I can tell when they are having fun, when they are scared, when they are mad. I can understand enough of their language that I will call them in when most are scratching their heads. Brother Hal, I really hope you are killing the biggest and best bulls in the world, but I doubt it. Not without a guide anyway. So here is to you, prove us wrong. In the 10 yrs I worked for H.S. I can't tell you how many thank you cards I have received from people I helped and they got their first elk from that help. And I am not as good as Paul[Elknut1]. Let me take this to the next level, I will send you my copy of Paul's DVD's, if you have the guts to learn and use it and I mean learn it. No half way attempt here, 2hrs a day every day til August. And then you go use it in the field. And I am not talking some sceery bit on call. I am talking a double or tripple reed mouth call. I will even teach you how to use the thing right, so it works. Then we will see what you have to say.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to say this elknut has been one of the guys I have grown to trust with info on this board and would like to say thank you.

As to gselkhunter,I would take that dvd off your hands if you would give it up

I have been wanting to get elknuts sets but have always for got when I've had the extra cash,I see one in the near future.
BBJ
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys!! I don't know what to say but thanks for your great comments and support! Heck, I may have to but a bigger hat! <grin>

You guys are right, I'm more than happy to share any info I may have, here on the sites or over the phone, especially with a bunch of great guys like yourself who enjoy elk hunting as much as I do!!!!

gselkhunter---What do you mean GRAY HAIR!!! I'll bet you've got more than me!!! It's not really fair, most of you know what I look like that have the videos but I don't know what you look like!! LOL-----------------------------ElkNut1
Old 02-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you'll have to buy a bigger hat. Though I have not met you face to face I know just from your posts and with talking to you that you are too humble for a bigger hat. As far as what I look like well I'm just a big strong ugly brute! I went to the mail today and your package with the weighted straws and stingers arrived. I want to thank you for sending me that, so I can experiment with my new arrows. I was going to just PM you but decided to let everyone know I for one am thankful and great to know you as a friend and fellow bowhunter. And this is proof positive of what I said before that you will bend over backwards to help fellow hunters out. Thanks again Jason
Old 02-23-2005, 10:08 PM

I for one am thankful and great to know you as a friend and fellow bowhunter. And this is proof positive of what I said before that you will bend over backwards to help fellow hunters out. Thanks again Jason
Ditto what Jason says!!!

I also say THANK YOU, elknut for all the invaluable info in which you so willingly share your secrets, your knowledge, and experiance!!!

If we ever bump heads in the mountains--there will always be a COLD ONE in the ice chest and an extra stump by the fire for ya BUDDY!!!
RobinHood36>>>============<>
Old 02-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, robinhood always has a little bottle of hooch tucked away too(for after the hunt that is) Heck, we have had so much fun elk hunting we have even forgot to go hunting. Robinhood, DOES IT MATTER????????????? Long story behind that one. It involves women, lack of interest for hunting, If you beleive that one, and some very understanding hunting partners. Thanks man.

Now now, elknut and GS. This insn't going to turn into a movie called grumpy old elkhunters is it?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

I just like to test non-believers Elkcrazy8. Most of the time when I ran into these guys giving a seminars, they were the guy that was having problems with calls. So you get them to talk and then get past the male ego thing and help them. And they would be the first ones to send a thank you card. And the last line would be "Don't tell my buddies." And some guys you can't ever help, I don't know where Brother Hal is at yet. We will see. I guess the point is I know how hard I have worked to get here, Paul too. I am not looking for money or fame. I have helped a lot of people because a guy helped me and I am giving back. That is the way it is suppose to be.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks to everyone that responded.

I learned a lot.

I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Best Elk Calls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.