Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Dimension of elk vital area? >

Dimension of elk vital area?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dimension of elk vital area?

Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Dimension of elk vital area?

I have been shooting my 7 mm magnum to get ready for a fall elk hunt. I am looking for a life-size target for elk. Cabelas only has deer targets. I think it would be interesting to sit at the range with a life-size target of the game animal to be hunted and learn the hold area for different distances and to see the actual bullet impact area. I can make one out of plywood but I need to know the dimensions of the elk body size and the size of the vital area within this body dimension. I think it would be easier to visualize where to hold on the body at 300 yards than to hold over a paper target. Thanks alot.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:16 PM

Default RE: Dimension of elk vital area?

A mature elk will measure 24" from the top of it's back to the bottom of it's chest. At least half, maybe even 2/3rds of that is used up by the heart lung area. It starts very low in the chest and goes up just like a deer.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if this might help but...
http://www.nbef.org/elk_java.html
Old 02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I've always used the measurments of 17 (H) x 15 (W). It's kid of a rectangle shape with very rounded corners. This probably isn't a perfectly scientific size or shape but it's always worked for me.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Hunter_59 Here is the deal, hit him 3'' behind the crease of his leg and not over half way up his body and he is yours. The area you want to hit is about the size of a gallon milk jug. You should be able to hit that every time from 300yds down with that 7mm.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone, I think I can come up with an interesting target to play with at the range this summer. I'll be ready!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:25 PM

I'd also say about 2' though that might stretch it at the edges

fill up some of those milk jugs with water and scatter them around a field, they're loads of fun to practice shooting with field positions, lots of feedback when you make a good hit

as gs said, if you can hit them consistently, you'll make good shots on an elk kill zone

I've wondered what the people at the recycling center think when they see my piles of fragmented, shredded milk jugs [&:]
Old 02-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a mature Bull Elk, the full chest length from top to bottom through the chest right behind the front legs (including hair) is 32". The Max. Kill Zone is 22", Practical Kill Zone is 18", Maxinum Point Blank Range (MPBR) is 9" above and below the center of animal. I am uncomfortable using 9" as my (MPBR), so I go with 7". Good luck.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

I've always used the measurments of 17 (H) x 15 (W).
Used to be, but not any more. Now it's 17 (H) x 2 (W). That's because you need to miss the wolf hanging off his back, unless nobody is around.

But seriously though, folks, the jugs are great. My son uses them and has become a quick crackshot.