Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk gun

Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM

Default RE: elk gun

Thanks everyone for all the great information you have shared with me. Not ever been Elk hunting before I have been worried that she would have the chance of a lifetime and not have enough gun to take a clean kill. Not worried about her shooting abilities after seeing her punch targets and the whitetails she has taken.
I think we will try the 308 and see how she does with it. I’m sure we can do something to calm down the recoil.

Has anyone used “LimbSavers” recoil but pads yet or heard anything about them?

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2005, 05:32 PM

300 ulta mag 180 grain out to 500 yards
Old 02-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

The limb saver recoil pads work great!! They have always greatly reduced recoil on any rifle I've used them on. But it depends what's on the rifle now. If you've already got something good on there it won't make much difference.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a .338 for last seaon and love it.....would not trade it for anything.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:42 AM

I take my wife out every year for elk. She shoots a 6.5x55 Sweede. Great gun, very low recoil. High BC and penetration capabilities with 140gr bullets. She hasn't got an elk with it yet, but we have dropped moose with it no problem. She also shoots my Browning BLR in .308 the odd time, so long as I don't max out the handload she is comfortable with 165gr loads. 7mm-08 would be another great choice as would 7x57 or .260 rem.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:45 AM

Everyone has an oppinion on rifles and calibers but more important is how comfortable you are with the gun. I've killed elk with a .270 and a bow. I rifle hunt everything with my .300 Mag. now because I'm so comfortable with it. Accuracy is everything!! I have a friend that's a BIG GUN buff. He has wounded more elk with his .338 than I'm sure he'll care to admit. What rifle are you currently hunting with? Most likely it's enough. I shoot my .300 Mag strictly for its velocity.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:05 PM

I like the Win 300 Mag...Big choice of bullet weights, etc. I don't notice any recoil when shooting an animal...The only other step up I would take is a 300 Weatherby mag... Premium bullets only..Good hunting...
Old 02-17-2005, 12:41 AM

Now that you've chosen the .308 concentrate on hittin' the heart or aorta. A couple of holes in the lungs won't drop a big bull very quick. Thats the difference between big elk and deer the bullet won't shread their lungs.