Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What is the best way to set up an Elk Hunt? >

What is the best way to set up an Elk Hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is the best way to set up an Elk Hunt?

Old 01-13-2005, 09:07 AM

Default What is the best way to set up an Elk Hunt?

Hello all. I'm interested in the best places/outfitters/ideas for Elk hunting. I've hunted Texas Whitetail all my life, but an Elk hunt is one of my lifetime dreams. I'm looking for any advice on the best locations/prices for an out of state hunter to take an Elk. I am hoping to do this sometime in the next 2-3 years, and it will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me. (I'm planning on being sponsored by Visa/Mastercard and paying them off for as long as necessary ) I don't mind spending the money, but I would like to do this as reasonably as possible while still having a high a chance as possible to take an Elk, a cow would be just fine with me. From the reading I've done it seems like the rules for getting tags, hunting areas, etc. vary greatly from state-to-state, so any information on how this works in various areas would be really helpful. Thank you for your help!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the best way to set up an Elk Hunt?

Your best bet is Coloraaada,they seem to be having the big boom in elk herds and tags are not that hard to come by.I think if you put in with a outfitter you are garunteed a tag.
Montana has some great hunting also,but not the populatin(wich is growing) quality is good,but lack of animals.
Cost depending kind of hunt and quality of game can be anywhere from 2000-6000 dollars and still no garuntee.
I know in Montana the cost of a tag is Elk/Deer combo Outfitter sponsored is about a Grand.This a guranteed tag.
Cost of a outfitter is about 3000-4000 grand for a good 7 day hunt.
Now you can start putting in now for some of the better area that have Trophy bulls like Arizona,Utah and Nevada,then if you draw you have a legitimate reason to hire a outfitter.
or you can do-it-yourself with a buddy and cut the cost way down.
I would check the Colorado DW,and Montana FWP
Old 01-13-2005, 02:01 PM

Once in a lifetime. HA HA. If you are lucky. Elk hunting is an like the most additive drug out there. Once you go once you will be back planning for the next year. Now a once in a lifetime elk hunt would probably on the San Carlos Reservation. Bar none.

So the question needs defining.

$20,000 Elk Hunt - all the way down to some around $2,500.

Both hunts are great fun.

One you will see and pass on larger bulls than 95% of elk hunters have even seen.

The $2,500 hunt possiblity of seeing 350+ bulls. But will only get to see a couple of bulls.

NM has some good opportunities for elk. I guide for an outfitter in NM. I got a 300" bull 6X7 for a client last year. It would be around the $2,500 mark.

If interested email me.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uh-oh!! Sounds like there's another elkaholic who has been grabbed ahold of with this addiction![][&:]
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 PM

dperry's right, there is no such thing as once in a lifetime! That's an addictive substance, that elk hunting!

Kimberly
Field Staff, WomenHunters
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went on my once in a lifetime elk hunt in 2002, me and the wife went, yup, once in a lifetime cause it does cost alot. Well I went AGAIN this year! It addicting. At this point I would gladly give up deer hunting here to get to elk hunt every year. Once that bull is screaming his head off looking for you, well, there's nothing like it.

If you turkey hunt you'll get the idea, same idea, calling they come to you etc , however, its an 800 lb turkey!

--Bob
Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM

lol Bob, "800 lb turkey," makes me smile, but in so many ways that's true. Calling techniques mastered by the turkey hunter can most definitely be applied to elk hunting, and vice versa. Just wanted to tip my hat to your metaphor!

Kimberly