Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Red Deer,Red Stag

Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Red Deer,Red Stag

I have been researching the Red deer and read that it is very geneticaly related to the now believed extinct, eastern Elk.

I have been wondering why it has not been introduced to the eastern states.
I know all about exotic competion with native species etc. but many of those have been introduced and are pretty well thought of and accepted.
some are The Russian wild boar (in WV)
the ring neck, the Brown and Rainbow trout.
The Rocky Mt. ElK in Pa. Mich,Ken. Tenn.
Do any of you know of a wild free ranging population of Red Deer in the US ?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Red Deer,Red Stag

My uncle Raises Red Stage
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM

I was under the impression that PA was never down to zero elk!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

THey are, but the rocky mountain elk is an even closer relative than the stag.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:43 AM

wild hogs are not well accepted anywhere I know of after they get established, really hard on the enviorment...but alas they are good eating!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:06 PM

undefined
I realize that the RM Elk is closer related to the Eastern elk than red stag, but the eastern elk was somewhat amaller than the RM elk.
The Elk in Pa were introduced, I believe in the late 1800s from rocky mt. stock.
The origional eastern elk is believed to be extinct.

With the lack of large remote areas in many states, it seems that the smaller Red Deer would be more practical than the larger elk.
I have watched several hunting programs of red deer hunting in New Zealand where they are truely wild and free ranging and they are magnificent animals.

Again I was just curious to know if they were ever introduced into the wild anywhere in the US, I realize that they are commonly farm raised,surely over the years some have escaped or were released into the wild in places like Texas Etc.
that established themselves as free ranging animals.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Well if smaller elk is what you are after the Tule elk of California are closer relatives and in no danger of extinction. I think the biggest one ever shot weighed 809 lbs.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:12 AM

undefined
Actually the Tule Elk antlers resemble the red stags antlers more so than they do the RM elks.
I believe the Tule are somewhat a swamp dwelling elk acustomed to warmer climates and may not be suitable for the mountainous terrain and cold weather of WV.
I also believe that if a state adopted a Red Stag program and established a huntable population,that the demand for tags would be overwhelming.
It would become the Red Stag hunting capitol of North America,Generating millions of dollars for that states Dept. of Natural resources.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:14 AM

undefined
Actually the Tule Elk antlers resemble the red stags antlers more so than they do the RM elks.
I believe the Tule are somewhat a swamp dwelling elk acustomed to warmer climates and may not be suitable for the mountainous terrain and cold weather of WV.
I also believe that if a state adopted a Red Stag program and established a huntable population,that the demand for tags would be overwhelming.
It would become the Red Stag hunting capitol of North America,Generating millions of dollars for that states Dept. of Natural resources.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:29 PM

While it is true some tule herds live in warm moist areas of the state others do not. One could hardly caracterize the Owens Valley as a swamp, but there has been a herd there for many years. If they can thrive living between two 14,000 ft high mountain ranges they can certainly survive a WV winter. Besides, I thought we were talking about Pennsylvania.

Quick Reply: Red Deer,Red Stag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.