Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bowhunters & Binos

Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Bowhunters & Binos

I spot and stalk most all big game If I sat in a tree I guess there would be no use for them either. I believe the most important piece of equipment that has helped me harvest more and better quality animals (that means bigger horns) is a set of high end binoculars used constantly. Lieca is my choice I would rather pack 40 oz around my neck for a mile than 0 oz for 10 miles.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:18 PM

I dont want to sound like I am pointing fingers or getting personal, but how good of a hunter is he that doesnt utilize a quality pair of optics? At least with the money they save on glasses they can double up on some boots as they are gonna have to do ALOT of walking (unnecessarily if you ask me) to make up not being able to "see what that lil patch of grass on that canyon rim 1/2 mile away over there is?" I dont believe I have EVER been on a hunt be them whitetails in south TX, turkeys in MO, antelope/mulies in WY or elk in The Gila that I did NOT rely heavily on optics as likewise did the guide.

In fact guides absolutely DEPEND and make their living through a pair of binculars. I admit that while what I carry for bowseason is typically different than what I carry while armed with something that goes bang, I STILL would feel absolutely naked without some sort of binocs regardless what or where I was chasing. I use fullsized rigs while toting a gun for big game, I use quality (Optolyth and Zeiss) compacts while turkey hunting, bow hunting and even while duck hunting. Superior quality compacts will work wonders for you guys who dont typically use any binocs because you dont like their weight of having something extra to lug around. The 8x25s like I am talking about easily fit in your shirt pocket and you wont even know you have them on. Likewise you wont have to worry about catching a bowstring on the strap.

Give em a try before you poopoo the whole idea!
RA
Old 01-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

Elknut1 is a timber rat, and so am I, bowhunting elk makes that a way of life. And the area and the way he hunts lets him get a way with that, without binos. When I am within 100yds of an elk in timber, I don't use my binos much either. But I used them a whole bunch before I got to that point. My binos are a tool as is my bow and a good knife, and I rely on my tools. And at timber line in CO, you better have your tools and know how to use them.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

gselkhunter---Very well put my friend!! I couldn't agree more. Timber Rat huh!!! I like that! <grin>

Now gselkhunter gets what I was getting at. There are many areas of every Western State that has semi open to semi thick timbered elk country. This is the type of country I focus on in Sept. and first couple weeks of Oct. And NO binos are needed to hunt and harvest elk in these boggy, swampy, wet, cool, shaded, elky areas that elk seek out to stay out of the heat!! It's really that simple! Don't think for a second I haven't taken optics with me in the past, I HAVE!!! I've come to realize that they are not important in the terrain I've selected to hunt. (man it's fun stirring things up!!)

Now for you guys that hunt the more open, see forever type country, sorry!!! And yes, you would need the aid of binos at this time. Seems like a waste of time if you ask me. I'd head for areas I knew elk were heading to or where elk would want to be in Sept. Cool benchy areas or whatever the area allowed.

Remember we're talking about elk hunting with a bow in Sept. They're vocal, take advantage of that, it's huge!!! If you say that the animals are bugle shy & won't answer any kind of your calls or won't respond to your "blind setups" then you must really suck, (no offense) you need to put more hard work into practicing realistic elk sounds, be an ELK!!!!!

Guys, elk don't have to be vocal & you don't have to get a visual on them to know they're there and hunt them effectively. (sign) For instance, my son and I called in 16 bulls in 5 days in the first two weeks of Sept. we never heard one bugle in doing so. But they showed up to our blind setups to check out the commotion and looking for other elk. Of course we hunt nothing but OTC public land, and yes these elk get tons of hunting pressure, but good calling, persistence, and patients can pay off. I know Elkcrazy8 & idahoelkinstructor hunt similar ways as I do, ask them about the close encounters they get into everyear, with type setups?

So don't be to quick to scoff at our ways of hunting elk before you see how effective it can be!!!

If I were hunting mule deer, antelope & such critters, then yes I would use optics in those situations. They're non vocal critters though!! And I'm half blind!!! <grin> ElkNut1
Old 01-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not going to profess to being an expert elk hunter...but I've tramped around Montana a few times giving it a go. On several occasions while slipping quietly as possible through timber and small parks....how I spent most of my time it seemed, I was able to confirm what I was seeing was indeed an elk or not. As most of you know....rarely are they standing there big as day in the wide open. But a blonde patch tucked in between some blowdowns 100yds distant....is that an elk, or just a bleached out log? Why not have the option of knowing (without taking another step) what your looking at? In my mind, it could make all the difference in a shot opportunity, or blowing a herd of elk out of the opposite end of the timber without ever nocking an arrow. I carry steiner 8x30s on a bino buddy....and to be honest, I forget they are there within seconds of putting them on. My overstuffed backpack with everything but the kitchen sink is another story!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Moosedrool I agree. I don't know what the fuss is about carrying binos. With the bino strap there not at all a big deal. I carry 16x50 all day and it doesn't bother me in the least. Admittinly, during bow season I scale down to 12x compacts, which are a non-factor to carry. About back packs, now there is a better argument. The only thing I carry during bow seasons is: water, calls, scents, and a sidearm, with binos around neck. Usually I were tennis shoes. One of the down sides to Montana is that at nights, in the mountains during September, it can get down to 30 degrees, by 10AM it can be 80 degrees.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I finally got my computer going now I can respond. I hunt alot like elknut and the use of bino's in our elk country and early season is not needed. At home for late season deer hunts I depend on them a great deal. I have a set of 10x50 windrivers and a spotting scope to go along with them. My hunting crew however has hauled 17 elk out in the last 5 years alone. Not one was spotted with optics before it was killed. Several were pope and young animals. Experience with elk movements puts us into the elk every time. Proper response can bring in that elk that may be standing at 100 yards. Most of my elk are killed in ares with alot of cover. The ever growing presence of wolves here in Idaho is causing the game to travel under cover and forcing them to stay out of the open. The long range glassing game is all but over here in Idaho and we are having to adapt not only to heavy hunting pressure but also to the new predator on the block. It is a new game and those who are not willing to adapt are going to see what tag soup is all about. I won't disagree that bino's may be helpful in other areas with different circumstances but where we hunt it is a different game.

gselkhunter, never give up, do what you have to. I give you alot of credit
Old 01-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Every place you go will be different and you have to adapt to that area. I am already up on a lot of people, because I can play both games. And I like being a timber rat and I like be up above timberline at dawn doing the spot and stalk. It keeps the hunt fun!
Gselkhunter
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 PM

I hunt morning and evening two different ways. NORMALLY in the AM, I will hike several miles and only carry my range finder with X6 optics on the crooked horn bino support system. In the PM, now that age has creeped up on me, I will hunt a secluded meadow. I will carry my Leicas on my backpack hip pad belt. and my range finder still on my chest. Of the 19 elk I have taken a few were with the help of the binos, most with out the aid of them. While on stand I use the binos to pick up the distant movements. If I am on stand and I hear a bugle, I just can't stay there I just got to go after him. It is funny how that sound you just forget how tired you are and can hike with out noticing how far you travel.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey nut, no I wouldn't use them around my neck while actually bowhunting but a fine pair of optics are a part of my gear, sometime used as scouting aides prior to a hunt or in stalking but I alwalys got a pair of binos in my pack, but when it comes down to the intial approach, I really don't need them, I just follow the sound then. Bobby

Quick Reply: Bowhunters & Binos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.