Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunt Question

Old 12-26-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Bear Hunt Question

In may we're going to Canada for black bear. I hear black flys are terrible what can we do to keep them away but not scare the bears?
Old 12-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Hunt Question

I hear the bugtamer bug suits work well.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use the BugTamer Suite, but also use duck tape for your wrist, and ankles....the bugs will find there way thru, if you dont
Old 12-26-2004, 07:01 PM

Hey Daddyslilhunter:

It depends on when your hunt is ... Spring or Fall ? If you're Spring hunting ... you'll need as mentioned .... a good bug suit duct taped at ankles and wrists. If constant "buzzing" irritates you ... it will be hard to keep still !
If you're Fall hunting ... no worry ... just a head net for mosquitoes at dusk. Black flies are very few in the fall.

If you're interested in a great fall hunt ... throw me an email:

[email protected]
Take Care
Gary
Old 12-26-2004, 07:03 PM

Depending on where you are, the mosquitos may be worse... not all areas have blackflies... I would recommend some type of suit that bugs can't get through. The bugs aren't bad every year or all the time (especially earlier in May) but if they are bad, your hunt will be much less enjoyable b/c of them. Protect urself from bugs as much as you can.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always hunted in the fall up there. Just a good head and face net will do then. Never had to battle the Black flies.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:09 AM

I hunted Ontario in the Spring the last year it was allowed. We got eaten by the flies the first night out. The burrowed in around our pant cuffs and wrist cuffs. All three of us had solid raw rings around our wrists and ankles. Definitely use duct tape and our guide said the bears know we are in the area, so it won't hurt to use muskol. Also I bought army surplus jungle hats with military headnets. They work better than the headnets you buy for deer and turkey, the jungle hat holds the net away from your skin.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly what BOWHUNTERCOP said. Bug Tamer suit. Definately tape up the wrists & leg cuffs. Wear layers.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Call and talk to your GUIDE!!!!!!!!

He will no doubt be using some "bug juice" when he goes to top up the bait station. the bears will become acustomed to that scent. So ask him what type of "bug juice " he uses and buy some of that.

black fly -sandflies Mosquitos only come out when it warms up......morning hunt aren't that bad for bugs, but the evening hunts can be a real pain in the **S.[:@][:@]

Bug juice should contian as much DEET as possible
not citrronllia.good brand names are Woods DEEP woods off

hope this helps

PS bug bites only hurt when back at camp and then they ich like he** so you may all want to bring something called afte bite. Looks like a felt marking pen. 1 dab on the bite and iching stopps instantly!!

hope you enjoy your hunt