Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Old 11-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Yes just an elk forum that is the only reason I come to this forum. And I have to pay my thanks for the Idea of putting your gear in a 55 gallon drum and putting in the ground at your spike camp site . That is great info!!!

I ve been sending to Maine for a moose tag for four years good chance of getting a tag next year its going to kill me if I cant come up with the money to elk hunting too . But I have the calling to explore new places and smells, sights ,people and animals.

THis might sound bad I would like to kill one of everything then my life would be complete.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:12 PM

I ve been sending to Maine for a moose tag for four years good chance of getting a tag next year its going to kill me if I cant come up with the money to elk hunting too . But I have the calling to explore new places and smells, sights ,people and animals.

THis might sound bad I would like to kill one of everything then my life would be complete.
Same here, moose and caribou are hard on my mind but I'd likely have to skip the elk camp thing in those years and that would be a thorn in my side. [:@] Getting one of everything would be really nice, the little critters wouldn't have to worry much, but big game wise it would be wonderful --- that would entail many epics, trials and tribulations, and adventures in that one.

[BTW, if you do African game you go during our "off season" just food for thought.]

EKM
Old 11-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut1, you and I are too much alike I too think back of past years hunts and think, "Man I should have done this or that, I would have killed that huge bull." It's funny that in 1998 when I killed a nice 6x6 bull with my bow I still think about the other bulls that got away. That bull is my biggest bull to date with a bow, or any weapon for that matter, but yet there was a bigger bull that was partnered up with the bull that I killed. I still had a week of vacation left out of two weeks and I think I should have gone for the bigger bull. But when I called my bull into me at fifteen yards broadside, well I couldn't pass him up. I too also love calling in elk, it's the greatest thrills on earth for me. I think I have almost every elk call ever produced by all manufacturers. I like both Carlton and Primos calls, as far a reeds go, I like the Primos the very best. But I use both Primos and Carlton in my arsonel. I am going to have to check out that bowhunting site. Do you think I can use my same screen name? Thanks for the info on that. We have only owned a computer for a year now, and this is the first hunting site I discovered. So again thanks. Also I was wondering would you ever mind if I called you? I would like to get your opinion/advice on calling tips and other tatics. I have looked at your website and it's right on in my book with what I have experienced. Do you ever go to the Idaho State bowhunters jamborie in Stanley, Idaho? I am planning on going this next summer so mabe we'll get to meet each other.

Thanks,
Jason
aka
idahoelkinstructor
Old 11-19-2004, 10:00 AM

Old 11-19-2004, 01:39 PM

Pambi,

Welcome to the boards. Actually, I'm on about as much as I've ever been; however, the amount of traffic on BigGameHunting has seemingly dropped quite a bit, so those of us who come here with any regularity at all tend to appear more often than we did before, as their slower "new thread" rate doesn't "bump us down the page" as fast as it used to. I really come here as a bit of a stress relieving hobby. I've got a fair bit "invested" in the site over time and some folks (not all by any means) that see things kinda like I do, so any changes would likely take place over time, even though you seem to be in a bit of a hurry. Thanks for your concern, you sound like a kind, gentle, caring person. BTW, nice choice of handle.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 11-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could have swore that the heading for this forum included Mule Deer. For the more elite I apolagize for my recent mule deer post. I have no trouble sorting through what I do or do not want to read and don't begrudge this forum including unimportant not quite big game. One thing so great about this country is that nobody has to include themself in boring conversations. People that only hunt the big five or six will look at elk like getting rid of a rabbit. It all in the view. I respect all good hunters, be it turkey, duck or wooly mammoth. Good hunting .
Old 11-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Idahoelkinstructor---I too prefer both the Primos calls and Carlton mouth calls, especially the Tone Trough in the double reed version.

As far as using your screen name, yes, you can use that on any site you wish to, and there are many!!! And you bet, you can call me anytime, then we could pick each others brain!!!! <grin>

As far as jamborees or 3d shoots, well I've never been to one. When is this one taking place in Stanley? It's one of my favorite places to visit. I wouldn't mind heading that way at all come summer.

My phone # is 208-634-5606---it also can be found on certain pages of my website. I'm normally around most evenings after 6:00 pm. Look forward to hearing from you!!! Paul
Old 11-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

idahoelkinstructor, did you go to the 2004 jamboree? That is one great gathering. I haven't missed it for several years now.

Elknut, the ISB is getting into seminars now, an elk calling seminar could possibly fit in nice at the 2005 jamboree. I am in contact with several of the directors and past presidents. I can put you in contact with them if you are interested in finding out more. It might be a great way to promote your business.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut1 & Elkcrazy8 no I didn't go last year, our construction business with my brothers leaves little time, we are very busy that time of year. Any free time that my wife and I have had durning the last 5 summers were devoted to teaching bowhunters education. But now with two the kids and all, it takes too much time plus the cost of a babysitter. So this year and for the next few years until the kids are old enough and hopefully our business will be bigger and I will have a some more free time. We are giving up teaching bowhunter ed, I will miss it but at the same time I want to attend 3-D shoots and the jamboree, I too have not attended one either. I want to do things like that, where we can have fun, but include the family too! This year I am for sure, making time to go to the 2005 jamboree in Stanley, but I don't know the date of when it is? Another passion I have and want to pursue (sp?), is compeating in more elk calling contests. I know that sounding like the biggest bull in the woods is stupid when hunting, there are exceptions to this rule but they are very few. But at a calling contest it is a kick in the butt to sound big. The last contest I compeated at, last spring in SLC they (judges) wanted to hear every elk sound you could make. It was not just who could sound the biggest. There was one competitor who was even snorting/breathing. Like a bull does sometimes between bugles. I have heard bulls do that many times but yet I have never tried to simulate it when hunting. With this years rifle hunt I was never in a opprtunity to try it, but I bet it will work great, to help bring a bull in the last few needed yards when bowhunting. Anyway for me its fun and a learning experience, and I have made some good friends as well. Elknut I will give you a call this next week monday or tuesday in the evening, and I look foward to talking to you. (big grin)
Elkcrazy8 I hope to meet you as well, at the jamboree. If you have any info on 2005 please share.
Thanks idahoelkinstructor
Old 11-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

idahoelkinstructor, the Jamboree is around the third week of july. It should be posted on www.idahoarchery.com website later in the season. It sounds like I had better practice before the elk calling contest this next year. I have competed the last three years in the calling contest along with the archery competition. It is a great family event. There are usually 5 ranges set up. 1 being for competition and 4 being for fun. The second day is geared for the kids. Get those kids elk calling. My favorite part of the weekend is watching the kids put their heart and sole into the calling. I would like to meet with you and possibly elknut in Stanley. I camp away from the main site as it can get a little hectic to be camped in the mix. Let me know if either of you are going to be there. I can give you directions on where the good camping spots are. IEE, what part of the state do you live in? I might be able to direct you to some of the better shoots. I attended 22 tournaments last year. Probably some in your area.

Quick Reply: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.