Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bigger gun??

Old 10-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default bigger gun??

I have hunted all of my adult life with the trusted '06 my father gave me.
Now that I am trying to kill myself walking the hills of Colorado in search of elk, thought the time might be right to move up the rifle size ladder.

Read lots of good ideas/opinions on this site. Heard several more from my pardners around here.
I have come across a good deal on a Rem 338 UM. Now (ducking).......anyone have an opinion on this caliber?

I don't need any of the "06 is plenty of gun as I have killed Mastedon's with a straw and paper wad many times" comments!!! I agree with you. I would never shoot my old thumb-buster at anything beyond 300 yards..........probably more like 250 as the limit. I know my limitations!

But hunting that country now for a couple years, easy to see myselt letting a good one walk because of my weapons' limitation. I found a great spot to sit one afternoon, thought it looked perfect with lots of sign. Upon settling in, ranged the area for markers to use later and found that the elk would have to cover 1/3 of the distance from the cover to me before getting into my range.

So any thoughts on this cal.?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bigger gun??

378 Weatherby. Flat shooting and hard hitting.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:24 AM

I appreciate the fact that at least you are talking about stepping up in caliber enough to make it worth while. The 30-06 ain't bad. I find the 338WinMag to be a bona fide elk rifle (in the varmit, deer, crossover, elk rifle, elk hammer, .... continuum). The 338RUM is a winnie on steroids, even stronger.

Per the parameters of your question regarding the 338RUM you have found at a good price.... I'd have to say yes --- good choice, conditioned on the following....

The question in my mind is, "Will you spend the time and money to get some top notch instruction from a certified NRA insturctor, who ALSO likes big bores, on how to handle it WELL?" When you move up to that level of play there are a whole different set of factors in the mix that demand proper technique and equipment fit. I'd hate to see you buy it, get "introduced" via the "school of hard knocks" and then sell it in 6 months because, "Mama, it hurts me and I just can't hit with it!" [Even much more so for a 378 Weatherby!]

EKM
Old 10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

NO offense intended...........but I need a certified instructor showing/telling me how to shoot like I need a another wife!!! Load, look, shoot. I am sorry if I make it sound trivial or simple.........but it is. Now my buddy that reloads for me.....he has the harder task. The shooting is the fun part.

I have already shot the gun in question and found the kick/recoil to be a lot less than advertised. My '06 with no pad, just the factory plastic butt plate, kicked harder to me. Never shot a gun of this caliber or bigger, but all the talk had me thinking it must really be something. Based on this experience, I will no longer listen to what "others" say about guns and their kicking/recoil/etc. The gun did not hurt me. The gun did not make me flinch. I did not run home to mommy and ask for a booboo pad! The gun was loud. (has a muzzle brake that I will see about removing). Please don't let somone else "tell" you what you will feel/not feel.

I grew up shooting my grandpaw's 12 guage reloads. The man never had any instruction in the field, so as long as your gun stock didn't split you were okay. In fact, his gun was missing a chunck of the stock for this very reason. I have never understood so many hunters total aversion to the recoil of a gun. It all takes place "after" you pull the trigger!!! I focus on the target, right or wrong. I am not thinking about the fact that my 12 gauge is still another inch or two from my shoulder when I pull the trigger on a Dove or Quail!!! The bruise afterward tells me......but I still do it!

If the gun being shot interferes with your ability to shoot it because it is too heavy/loud/long/ etc., the I understand the problem. I just like to shoot and hunt.
I am no great shooter. But the gun shot and felt good. Personally, I want to feel the gun buck!!! Did she buck???? I have .22 calibers for plinking and loaning those that don't want a "kicker". The feedback I got from this gun told me that I was on the right track.

BTW....my grandmother (god rest her soul) could have shot this gun and smiled. But she was a rare one, another story for another time!

Thanks for the feedback all. Elk might be the biggest thing I ever shoot at so maybe this gun will do! If not, then gosh, gee wiz, guess i would have to get another one!!! Darn the luck!

I hear what you are saying and have read all the rhetoric on these posts about "gun recoil" and such...............but why are some so adamant against using a larger caliber? Do these same guys think that I should be driving a compact pickup instead of 3/4 ton just because "they" do or "think" I should??? I do not understand.
As stated previously, I am not a great shot and need every advantage I can muster. Especially in a country where they won't let me bring my feeders and deer corn!!!!

Between you and me EKM......my experience, and I am just going on me personally, I experience a lot more "shot anticipation" shooting my bow than I do with a rifle. A bullet always tells the truth! That dang arrow is a lieing SOB sometimes!! heeheee
Old 10-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Follow up question and now more important given the fact that the gun is now mine.............
What scope suggestions you guys have? Will be used for Elk only. (Whitetails deserve a little less)

I have been a Leupold fan my whole life. Have seen a Nikon that I liked. I am a middle of the road guy, not the most expensive but not the cheapo route either.
I am curious mostly as to magnification. I have a 3x9 on my '06 but was wondering if going with a longer range gun, would I benefit from a scope that has higher power settings??? 3x12? 4x14?
Old 10-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally anything over 10 power on a biggame setup is not desired, but I am not you. The fact many leave their scopes in the middle of adjustment levels and rarely touch's it while hunting would lead me to believe I am in the norm and not the exception when it comes to mag of a scope I really require. I however do play with the power when hunting and while it sits around the 6 power range I have turned it down 3-4 and up to max 9-10 to make a shot when required. Long and short anything in the 3-9 or 10 should suffice. Again though being it is a personal choice you'll have to decide if 12 or 14 power would be required on a elk gun?

As to brand I would look long and hard at a 40mm Zeiss Conquest with 4" of constant eye relief, fast eye focus, 1-Piece Tube, ability to mount low and quality in glass it should be a good fit on your new setup. No matter what scope you may decide upon I would choose Leupold DD 2 pce mounting system to hold her tight.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 PM

RedRiver,

If you drop right in with your new acquistion without missing a beat, then good for you --- many (most) are not so (ahem), "durable."

I believe the jury is still out on recoil however,

Drop the muzzlebrake,
Drop in some full house 250 grain,
Drop me a line as to how it went, may not be the same *****cat as on the "test drive".

I like yourself had a long history of guns only to find out I was shooting reasonably well INSPITE OF MYSELF instead of because of myself. As always you can count on me not to "pull punches." My intention was to be sure to get your attention regarding a very common pitfall, not offend.... many rifles spend 6 months with their first owner along the lines I just outlined.

Good Luck,
EKM
Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

JD.......
guy I bought it from had reloaded 210gr Nosler partitions for it and shot pretty well when testing. My brother took his first elk with it (see Brother thread) this season shooting those loads. Now granted the shot was at 74 yards, but there was plenty of "meat shock" and fragments left in the body. My buddy has reloaded some Accubonds for our '06's (180gr) and we really like them so far. Read where Federal has out some 225gr AB's in .338 RUM. Would like to reload some of these too. Might not be the same meat damage as the partitions. This gun has the factory pad on it so I will change it out. A friend had a "kickeze" magnum put on a 300 winmag and likes it so might try that one. My brother only remembers the crash of the bull and the smoke of the rifle!! As he says........if you don't enjoy shooting, don't shoot. I would never hunt with something that I didn't enjoy shooting. That is part of the process.......enjoyment! I look forward to shooting this gun a lot during the offseason. I think working up a load is probably the most enjoyable part. Miss that about my ol gun. It just shoots where it is supposed to, doesn't require tuning.

BTW......didn't mean to be "short" with my response earlier about "getting instruction". I think of shooting just like my golf game. Worked long and hard getting it where it is!!! I grew up in the woods, hunting/fishing/living. I have spent most of my 40 years shooting and hunting things. We couldn't afford custom guns and so you adapted to the gun, not the other way around. The gun A lot of times it was a hand-me-down that wasn't exactly right for you, but by god you wanted it and you learned to use it. Same as now.........I will adapt to the gun. I try to get the stock length comfortable, scope set right, and then start shooting. The gun will let me know what I need to do. If you listen, the gun will always tell you what to do. Seems to me everybody wants to make too much of getting "comfortable"!

I am more concerned about SAFETY than technique and recoil. SEE "They Shoot Horses Don't They" I am posting shortly.

Quick Reply: bigger gun??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.