Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Ammo

Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Elk Ammo

What is a good bullet for Elk? My gun is a 30-06 Styre Mountain Rifle (Fairly short barrel) and what would be the maximum range for a High percentage shot?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Ammo

Use a 180 gr. Barnes x, Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift-A-Frame, Winchester Fail Safe. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

what would be the maximum range for a High percentage shot?
That mostly depends on your shooting ability, with the bullets named above, out of your 06, the gun has the ability to do a 400 yard shot, but you need to decide what your ability is!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen Elk taken at ranges of 400 yards with the 30-06. This is however getting out to the extreme end of its capability for a clean kill. Myself I would try HARD to limit my shots on Elk to 200-250 yards. Any good bullet of 180 grains or 200 grains will do the job. Handloader 1 listed some of the very best. In factory loads the Failsafe might be your best bet. I think a few companies also load the Barnes X and Speer loads the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw as does Federal I think. Good Hunting.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first elk I killed was a cow,she went down with a neck shot from 40 yards using 180 Rem.Core-Lok.That was before I was realy in to bullets.I now use Noslers in about everything,they hold up and deliver good accuracy.If I was using that gun I would try and keep shots under 300 yds and shorter.You probaly won't get complet pass through but you will get it done.I have shot elk with the 30-06 and alot of the time the bullet is on the far side of the shoulder,no matter what the range.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:45 PM

The first 3 elk I shot with a rifle, were all taken with a 1951 win 94 in 30-30, using
170 gr Rem core-loc bullets, then a couple of years later I found out that a
30-30 shouldn't be used for Elk hunting. Go figure. well after a decade of
archery hunting, this year I'm going back to the rifle, was all set to take my
year old 1895 Marlin 45/70. Until My son at the last minuite (2 months ago)
decided he wanted to go Elk hunting this year......I'm back to the 30-30. One
improvement is I reload, have gotten great groups for accuracy with hornady
170 FP's am currrently trying to find the right powder set up to use the Nosler
partitions in the winn. 45/70? 350 Hornady's with 55 grns of IMR 3031.

06 loaded up with good 180 grn bullets will take an elk out to 250 yards easily.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Lon Tine------I've used the 30/06 with 180 grain bullets for the past 20 years here in Colorado. I've taken them at various ranges of 35 yards out to 250. Bullets have been plain jane "Core-lokts" or "Power Points"--in factory loads. But always in 180 grain. Now, I've handloaded some "Hornady Spire Points" and they work well also. Before I start getting "Flamed"----I"ve taken 16 & probably 16 other elk in my camp all with the 06 & "Core-lokt".

I've tried some "Fail-Safes" & never could get them to group out of my rifle.

If you feel more confident in using "Premium" bullets. I would suggest you try Federal Premium in 180 grain Nolser Partitions. Never heard of an accuracy problem with them. The Nolser Partition is the standard by which all premium bullets are measured.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:16 PM

I think its been covered already. Premium bullets, 180 grains, as far as your skill allows.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd stick to the 180's as well and probably start off with the Nosler Partition. However this fall I switched to the Nosler Accubond from NP's for both Elk and moose hunt and was extremely satisfied with the results of 160 gr bullet fired from my 7 rem mag, In both cases bullet destroyed vitals and penitrated through the other side of the animal. Something I have never seen with NP, I have always found the partition on the opposite side tucked under the hide but never recovered the Accubond from either of these 2 harvests. The bullet entrance was the diameter of the bullet and exit was 1 1/2 -2" in diameter..excellent expansion while still retain for penitration. Elk was approx 130-150 yards and moose was 100 or slightly under. I found slightly better groups with the Accubond than my old standby 160 NP's and just wanted to try this new bullet. Not a knock on the NP's b/c they are a great bullet but I thought I'd share some realtime experience with a new bonded bullet available to you as well. I am at this point sold on the AB's for the bigger stuff and feel if stretched out they should perform equally well. Federal Premium and Win. supreme are loading both for 04'.

Range 300 or so if a good marksman but only you can set the bar. I will say be honest with yourself and stick to what you feel confident in using for bullets/limitations.

Best of luck!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:21 AM

I just got back yesterday from colorado, i took out a nice 6X6 with my .270. Its a model 700 so its very accurate, but it was at 390 yds, shot with a rangefinder. None of the fancy bullets mentioned i might add. Just the Remington 150 gr core-loks. They just shoot great out of my gun. Some of the cheapest bullets around for the .270.

Quick Reply: Elk Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.