Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Side arm of choice?

Old 09-11-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Side arm of choice?

I usaully carry Glock .45, alternating solid and hydra-shoks, clip full, pipe empty. Ocassionally, I tote my wifes AE .357 mag, solids. Once, while elk hunting with a buddy, we were bottle necked in a gorge and the scent of a rotting carcuss filled the air. We argued who should lead the way and I lost. Pulled my glock and carried in front of me with my buddy behind. Bear scat was everywhere, fresh too. He whispered "stop, right there" and pointed. I raised the glock and waited for the bear to charge as I strained to see it. The brush exploded and I fired two rounds before the grouse cleared brush. My buddy about fell over from laughing, I, however, didn't think it was so funny.[]
Old 09-12-2004, 08:30 AM

Default RE: Side arm of choice?

LOL,
One of life's memorable moments.

I assume you were bow hunting, as an elk rifle would be superior to a side arm.

In answer to your question: a 44mag or better when scouting and no rifle is available. Problem is anything to do with elk hunting is so weight sensitive and carrying a big piece of iron in a holster (unbalance load) just usually don't cut it either,

My choice would be pepper spray. Not perfect either, but light weight and statistically probably better than a pistol for bears, especially grizzly bears.

You've heard the story about the wisdom of filing off the front sight of any pistol being used to kill a bear, right?

EKM
Old 09-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, we don't have many bears around here, but we do have the big cats. While deer hunting (or any other hunting for that matter), I carry whatever I have with me and don't worry about it. Cats are too sneaky and by the time I realized it, the thing would be on top of me, giving me no time to pull another side arm. If I am hiking in the high country for fishing or whatever, I carry my 1911, full mag, pipe empty, incase I fall, I don't want an accidental discharge. Again, this probably would be difficult to unholster anyway, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. (Which will hopefully be never). The loads are handloaded 230 Lead round nose bullets, I know of no Mt lion that would laugh at that!!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

44 Mag with heavy cast bullets. I would also consider the 300 grain Hornady XTP. Love the feel of the new airweight S&W 44 Mag.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:55 PM

Glock 22 w/ Gold Dots
Old 09-12-2004, 09:17 PM

Yes, I meant while bowhunting. I don't carry a side arm when long gun hunting. I agree wieght is every thing when elk hunting. I even wear tennis shoes(goes real good with camo) just because I move so often and quickly. Countless times i've dropped my back pack trying to get around a bull, only to spend an hour finding it after the bull got away.....
Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

.44 Rem. Mag., or more potent caliber. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:21 AM

I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 4 5/8" SS just for this purpose. Major caliber, relatively compact, can be used to take or dispatch an animal legally in my state if the need or oppurtunity arises.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

government model 1911
Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda funny. whos hunting who? Mulie, I'm kinda ashamed to admit it but on opening day of archery I did the same thing, I took a break and took my back pack off and left my pack on the ground. All my gear was in it and after 2-1/2 hours I finally found it. I was so freakin mad at how careless I was.
I bowhunt and live here in the Kootenai National forest and cats and grizzlies are real common, I am usually more concerned with the griz more than the cats. I pack a S.S.Ruger 357 with a 3" barrel as well as a can a bear spray, as it gives me a little more confidence when I am in the bush. The 357 may be a little under gunned but its so light weight that I don't even relize that I am carring it. You have to respect the animals as we are only visitors and if they are hungry or feel threatened, your S.O.L. Good luck and be aware of your surrounding. Bobby

Quick Reply: Side arm of choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.