Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bambi !!

Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Bambi !!

After thinking about it the last two or three days.....

In the past (last 30 years) I have used the term "bambi" for deer and "bambi popping" for deer hunting and "bambi poppers" for deer hunters. This included describing myself and my friends when we were deer hunting as well as anyone else.

It has come to my attention that this "loose terminology" on my part may single handedly result in the evil forces of PETA defeating our good cause. Regardless how unlikely this belief may appear to me, I am going to play along with the PC standard --- deer.

EKM
Old 09-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bambi !!

Your actually right. Obviously "Bambi" is a cartoon character created by one of the biggest anti hunting companies in America...Walt Disney....and "Bambi" is one of the biggest anti hunting cartoons ever made. If I have a child, and I'm 37 now....my child will not watch Bambi until he/she is old enough to understand the political agenda behind the cartoon and see it as it is.....

The evil red eye'd hunter killling Bambi's parents.....COMON.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good Idea. While we as hunters understand the reason for harvesting wildlife and while our dollars do much more to for the different species than peta will ever do, I have always felt that a united front amoung hunters is important to our sport. Your statement are far from the single cause of gains by anti-hunters if indeed there are gains. However your description of deer hunters in a post I read recently as beer drinking road hunters and such was over the top. Really no reason for the kick in the teeth. I would not think that the average deer hunter is doing you any harm. I am a deer hunter as well as a hunter of all types of big and small game. I would like to respect all other hunters and have that respect returned. The overall good of the sport I love so much and have done my best to promote is very important to me and I hope to all hunters here.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:03 AM

However your description of deer hunters in a post I read recently as beer drinking road hunters and such was over the top. Really no reason for the kick in the teeth. I would not think that the average deer hunter is doing you any harm. I am a deer hunter as well as a hunter of all types of big and small game.
???????????????

James, either you or I, one or the other (maybe both? ), has some pre-dementia confusion going on. I have NEVER made the above quote per my memory and I have searched the BigGame and DeerHunting and Guns forums for “deer, beer, and road” and have found NO such statement on my part or by someone else where I am agreeing with it.

Recently, I have been puzzled by the tenor and the tone of some of your posts which have arrived on some of my threads lately that left me pondering “where in the heck did that come from?” “That just isn’t so….”. Kinda like watching some of the political attack ads on TV…. It starts with a shred of truth here or there and then wowwwww! I don’t know how many different forums you may be following and how many other “bad guys” there are out there that you are "countering", but I think you may be getting some serious “cross-over” between characters.

I may have strong opinions and I am quite vocal and I recognize there is a price to be paid for that and I’m willing to pay/endure that price; however, flat out fabrication? That I have to meet head on!

Show me the beef! [:@]

EKM
Old 09-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

The post was about those who like to sleep in thier own bed than run out to the deer patch and pop bambi the go for another six pack or something to that effect. Sorry I don't remember the post but if you look enough you will find it . I sure ain't above making a mistake but this wasn't one of them. If I did fabricate anything at any time then I quess It was my fault. I have many faults and my wife keeps a current and often updated list. Have a good one . I have had enough of this fued or precieved by me fued.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:03 PM

James,

However your description of deer hunters in a post I read recently as beer drinking road hunters and such was over the top.
The post was about those who like to sleep in thier own bed than run out to the deer patch and pop bambi the go for another six pack or something to that effect. Sorry I don't remember the post but if you look enough you will find it .
Well, the “quote” wasn’t hard to find at all and here are the two posts that “sorta come close” but........
**NO mention of deer hunters being road hunters,
**NO mention of deer hunters being beer drinking road hunters,
**NO, it was simply a discussion of how difficult it is to find suitable, dedicated hunting partners for a remote/away from home elk hunt .

Bear in mind, we can always go back to the “Finding Hunting Partners” thread if you wish to discuss the content of these posts.

IN ANY CASE YOU'VE GOT IT WRONG.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

POST #1 -- Finding Hunting Partners
ELKampMaster
8-9-2004

Alsatian,
Finally! Something one can sink a tooth into!

IMHO you are about to embark on possibly one of the most aggravating, luck dominated exercises out there, especially since it looks like you are starting from scratch. Lots of your local hunters who sleep in their own bed the night before the deer hunt may say they want to go elk hunting, but won't give it any more planning or preparation or financial commitment than the "get up in the morning--go to the local deer patch--pop ***** a deer--drop him off at the processor--drink a beer--go back home" hunt.

An "away from home/remote elk hunt" spanning one or two weeks tends to "weed out" hunting partners at an alarming rate, with the damnedest excuses usually starting in August and leaving you high and dry for the hunt. Most are in love with the idea of going (during winter, spring, and early summer), but not with actually DOING IT part (late summer, fall).

I hate to say it, but I would recommend that you try to work your way into an existing successful group --- you will be way ahead of the game if you succeed....
= = = = = = = = = = =

POST #2: Finding Hunting Partners
ELKampMaster
8-11-2004

Dirt2, you relate the classic scenario....
quote:

Say you'll pick him up at 5 AM, which means you'll leave his house at 6:30 AM, then go to a cafe while shooting light dawns, finally jump into the truck and head into the hills about 8 AM.

I never had the problem you describe with any of my partners back when we used to hunt the local patch, but I heard plenty of grief from those who did have similar experiences!

This is one reason of why I tend to differentiate between hunts where the hunters "sleep in their own bed and then get up and pursue their game in the local patch" versus hunters that pursue their game in an "away from home/remote hunt." Overall, a whole different ball game generally involving a whole different level of play, IMHO.

Now drop ole sleepy head into a remote camp (if you can ever get him out of the county)....

"Pick him up...."
"His house...."
"Cafe...."
"Jump into the truck...."

Ah, no.... if he won't get up and get ready on time, just leave him in camp and let's go get some game....

EKM
= = = = = = = = = =

IN CLOSING:

There is an old saying.... Say what you mean and mean what you say!
Similarly, if you are going to "quote", then quote right or don’t quote at all!

EKM
Old 09-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

YEA RIGHT
Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I must say that this has turned into an interesting debate. I agree with Elkampmaster on this one. I am also guilty of being a "weekend warrior" but also do take time for longer, drawn out hunts. Each of these have only been for mule deer, no elk for me yet. I think that people need to relax a little bit. I can see that a lot of people, including myself do spend the night in their own bed and then head out in the woods the next morning after "bambi." I see nothing wrong with this, as deer can be hunted on a day to day basis much easier than elk can. Less time is really need to prepare an elk for the freezer, and the smaller size of the deer obviously makes it easier for field care time. I have also taken hunts for deer, when we had a camp set up for the better part of three weeks. This was in an area that was about 30 miles from any decent form of civilization, so we were forced to come prepared for a long time. I have seen very few instances where this is not the case for elk. They simply take much more time to prepare for, and are typically in more remote areas than deer inhabit. Most people just do not want to put that committment into going elk hunting, because they don't realize how much preparation is required. I have run into this for things as simple as cutting firewood and deer hunting also. Hope I didn't get too far off subject, just had to vent a bit. We are all hunters here, we need to quit arguing with each other and come together to fight all of these "antis."
Old 09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is probably a good thread to ask this....I heard that PETA has been pegged by the government as a terrorist gouup, has anyone else heard that?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:05 PM

Used to know a guy....

Each time he related an event, it got expanded, changed, and embellished to make for a better story and him a better story teller. You couldn't really trust what he said. If you wanted to know what really happened, then you had to be there and witness it yourself.

Deja vu. Fortunately this forum has a long and accurate memory to help sort out those who kinda like to "stretch it" to fit their needs.....

Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts,

EKM

Quick Reply: Bambi !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.