Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Overbugling!

Old 08-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Overbugling!

Here is my completely unasked-for list of what constitutes the cardinal sin of OVERBUGLING. With bugle season fast approaching, maybe I can empower one or two of you to stop educating elk, then running to the local cafe to bitch about how the elk are call-shy.

1) Bugling with your butt in contact with the seat of your four-wheeler or pickup or Geo Metro is OVERBUGLING. If you are within rifle shot of your rig, it's overbugling.

2) Bugling from sloppy setups is OVERBUGLING. If the odds are that any elk that comes in to you will see you (you're in the open stupid) or smell you (the wind is swirling stupid), then keep the bugle tucked away.

3) Bugling to redeem hopeless situations is OVERBUGLING. If that herd already smelled you or got a good look at you and is blowing out of the country, it's over, let it go. Granted, you might call back one bull in 30 in that situation, but think of the fine education your giving the other 29.

Please note that my list does not include "bugling too much". I dare say that's impossible in most hunting areas. You could bugle 200 times a day in the country I hunt and still not be "bugling too much".
Old 08-11-2004, 03:44 PM

Default RE: Overbugling!

Have another one

Bugling from camp to (Practice) - Unless camp is totally out of the Elk woods

Cow calling from these positions also creats - call wise elk