Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Finding hunting partners

Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Finding hunting partners

How do you find hunting partners? I don't know many people who hunt, personally. Some hunts may require a partner with special attributes. For example, I would like to go on a first cow elk hunting trip in 2005 in the San Juan mountains in SW Colorado. I will backpack in but arrange a meat packer to haul out the meat (so I hope, I'm still needing to confirm this type of arrangement). My partner will need to be in good physical condition to succeed in this kind of hunt -- succeed being defined minimally as keeping going for the five to seven days of a hunt, with or without actually pulling the rifle trigger. Many people who have never been in the mountains really have no idea what they are getting into and may simply pay lip service to getting into shape. To some extent you sink or swim with your partner. How do you find a suitable partner?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:20 PM

Default RE: Finding hunting partners

Alsatian,

Finally! Something one can sink a tooth into!

IMHO you are about to embark on possibly one of the most aggravating, luck dominated exercises out there, especially since it looks like you are starting from scratch. Lots of your local hunters who sleep in their own bed the night before the deer hunt may say they want to go elk hunting, but won't give it any more planning or preparation or finanical commitment than the "get up in the morning--go to the local deer patch--pop ***** a deer--drop him off at the processor--drink a beer--go back home" hunt.

An "away from home/remote elk hunt" spanning one or two weeks tends to "weed out" hunting partners at an alarming rate, with the damnedest excuses usually starting in August and leaving you high and dry for the hunt. Most are in love with the idea of going (during winter, spring, and early summer), but not with actually DOING IT part (late summer, fall).

I hate to say it, but I would recommend that you try to work your way into an existing successful group --- you will be way ahead of the game if you succeed....

(1) You can watch this forum (I've probably seen 3 or 4 requests for hunting partner in the last two years.

(2) Another approach, is since you are looking to go in 2005 is to check out the area during the 2004 hunting season and approach some of the "got it together" looking camps. At any one time there are "camp masters" (especially if they are relatively new in trying to put a "group" together, say 3-4 years) that are tired of doing "too much" of the work, fed up with absorbing "too much" of the expense and weary of being used too often by the ever present "moochers". Offering to do your share of the work AND volunteering to pay your share of expenses IN ADVANCE (and NON REFUNDABLE) will likely to endear you to someone! Granted, this is an approach used by some one with a "sales" mentality who isn't afraid of a little rejection along the way.

(3) A different route is to check your local rifle range, hunting club, NRA instructors, etc, etc, and ask about folks from your general area (100 miles or so) that hunt elk. Approach them straight up if they know someone who is putting together a group that is looking for some "go to" guys. Of course, at that point you have to make absolutely sure you are ready to "walk the walk" in addition to "talking the talk".

The state of Colorado calls new folks who just "go up and give it a shot" as being on the "five year plan". On average, it takes them five years to learn an area, learn from their mistakes, and start taking elk. As always, dumb luck and/or outstanding individual talent can always "tip the scale" a bit, but the success rate is very low. Better to get on the "fast track" -- even if you don't get one that year, if others around you do get into them you can pick up a wealth of "know how".

Just a few thoughts,
EKM

(***** = cleaned up "Bambi" to the new PC standard, "deer".)
Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The heck with finding a partner. After depending on so called wannabes and have them sleep in or not show up, so I rarely hunt with anyone. I can get up, come back or change my location without having to wait on a partner to make a decision if they want to move. I'll deal with the elk or deer on my own in getting it out in in a timly manner. It kinda sounds like your trip is kinda remote as you may be surprised as in getting a cow you may not need to hunt that far from the truck. Piss on finding a partner, hunt it solo and answer to none. Bobby
Old 08-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea of hunting solo. I can never seem to find someone that will even be around for sure to go on a quick fishing trip or bird hunt. I will be hunting solo this year for mule deer, hopefully by backpack, if someone else wants to come along and help out or just be there for company, thats fine, but I won't plan on it actually happening. Probably will end up hunting cow elk solo next year too if I draw a tag here in Nevada. I should considering I have 2 bonus points for the hunt I want. Just can't rely on people to make a committment.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:49 AM

Great advice elkkampmaster.
As the other posters have said it is tough.
I usually plan to hunt by myself and if somebody does still want to come with me by hunt time I will take them along.
With the understanding that if they are not in shape they will get left behind.
I spent to many years being held back by hunting with people who were not as serious about it as I was so I now I just plan to hunt by myself.
Having said that in the last couple years I have met some folks on the internet with the same hunting and being in shape ethic that I have and we have been having a good time hunting together.

Bottom line, if you depend on others to go hunting with you you may never go.
I do wish you luck on finding a good hunting partner, they are out there.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had some good hunting pertners in the past but when we started I was the youngster of the bunch and time as it always does has taken its toll on our group. Some have passed on and some just can't take the rigors of the hunt. It has and will happen to all of us as time goes on. I have a lot of respect for all good hunters wether they want to sleep in thier own bed the night before the hunt or pack in for several days and backpack it. I have slept in comfortable cabins on hunting trips and I have slept in a tree in the rain. Those kind of trips as someone said will weed out the softer ones very quick. That said, My wife has always been my main partner in hunting and all other aspects of life. If your that lucky then your problems will be few. Anyway checking out some of these forums is not a bad place to start as mentioned above. Good luck to you and I hope your hunt is a success. Wish I was young enough to be an ooption. This year my hunting will be done from a camp we set up and I don't apolagize for saying its a comfortable camp. Those of us who are left in our group have earned it.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:35 PM

Alsatian-- Was wondering why a cow and not a bull. I have hunted elk 2 times with my brother with out a guide. In unit 62 in colorado with the muzzleloaders. First time hunting elk we both got bulls next time passed on legal bulls hoping to get a real big one. Our next hunt hopefully will be in 05 in trophy unit 61 as we have 11pp for elk. We back pack in about 3 miles and set up camp and hunt from there. Back pack our elk out.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buckslayer1:

The cow tag is cheaper and my funds are limited. I think I would have a higher probability of scoring hunting a cow than hunting a bull. I am a new comer to elk hunting, this would be a first trip. With the benefit of learning on a first cow hunt I may thereafter go after a bull on a future trip. I have no place to put an elk rack in my home, so what good does scoring on a big bull do me? Finally, I like the meat that I get from hunting, and I expect that cow meat is probably better than bull meat.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replys. They have given me excellent food for thought.

ELKampMaster: I plan to do a brief scouting trip in my prospective hunt area in mid-October when returning from a Wyoming pronghorn antelope hunt, provided adverse events beyond my control do not prohibit this (slow to tag out on pronghorn or heavy snows up around 11,000' in my hunt area). I'll look for organized camps when I am on the scene.

Also, I like your suggestion of approaching an established group. This offers the advantage, as you point out, of getting the benefit of their elk hunting knowledge and prior experience in the hunting area. I'm willing to pitch in and do my share of work, I have some prior camping experience in the wilds (wilderness area backpacking at 10,000' to 12,000' altitudes), and I'm a skilled cook. I can pitch these attributes and try to weedle my way into an established group. I'm not wedded to my plan to hunt the San Juan mountains of SW Colorado, this is just an area I have prior experience backpacking and some information about elk presence.

121553 and Charlie Brown: Hunting solo is appealing, but I prefer the idea of having at least one partner to share the beauty of the outdoors and the joys of the hunt with, as well as to provide some additional help in case of accidents. If I had no other way to go on the hunt I would probably go solo.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

I'll echo the sentiments of the two guys touting solo hunting. Finding a good hunting partner is probably more difficult than finding a good wife. I hate the normal hunting routine you get sucked into with a partner. Say you'll pick him up at 5 AM, which means you'll leave his house at 6:30 AM, then go to a cafe while shooting light dawns, finally jump into the truck and head into the hills about 8 AM. So goes the day. It makes me absolutely nuts!

The worst thing about having a hunting partner is that every single aspect of the hunt will be the fruit of a compromise between what you really want to do and what he wants to do. Thus, the most important element in hunting is compromised - belief. You have to believe in what you're doing out there. How do you do that when you're not really doing the hunt the way you believe will work best?

One answer to this is to "hunt solo together". Each guy does his own hunt for the day, and you arrange to meet for lunch or after dark back at the truck. Good luck finding a partner!

Quick Reply: Finding hunting partners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.