Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 A Question for all Hunters >

A Question for all Hunters

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A Question for all Hunters

Old 08-05-2004, 02:31 AM

Default A Question for all Hunters

Morning folks.

I’m new to this board, as you can tell,
and I wonder if you’d all be willing to answer a question for me? If I've posted this in an inappropriate place, I apologise, and trust one of the Moderators will move it.

Basically, I’d like to know what YOU, as a hunter,
expect from the Owners or Operators of a
Hunting Destination.

What is it that makes the difference between a Dream destination,
and a Nightmare one?

Please mention ANYTHINGthat you feel is relevant,
whether it’s the service, the food, the game or the personality of the PH.

I’m interested in every aspect of your expectations for a great hunting
experience.

Thanks in advance for your input, it’ll be much appreciated.

Be Safe,
and Good Hunting
--Umzingeli
Old 08-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A Question for all Hunters

I have never hunted using an outfitter, guide, or resort because I can't afford this. I would say, however, that what would spoil my hunt more than anything would be to be drawn into an unethical hunt or a hunt which did not involve principles of "fair chase." Perhaps second to this would be to be linked with another client, for example sharing a guide or living quarters, who was obnoxious or diminished my hunt in some way, as for example being totally out of shape and my guide and I would have to lolly-gag along at the unacceptable pace of the unprepared hunter.

I have hunted with someone else and have had some bad experience in that. I had staked out a whitetail stand and was on watch when my buddy walks up -- before I had decided the morning stand was not going to produce -- and while he is squatting beside me a deer walks out on the hill I was watching, maybe 150 yards out. I mounted my rifle, said there was a deer, my buddy mounts his rifle, and I feel I have to shoot pronto or have my buddy shoot the deer on my damn stand. After the shot, which brought the deer down but was high and in the back, my buddy confirmed that if I hadn't shot, in about a second or two he would have taken the shot. I didn't like this kind of shooting at all and felt I would have made a better shot if I hadn't believed my buddy was going to otherwise take my deer. Maybe this could have been avoided by our talking this out and agreeing on "rules of engagement."
Old 08-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never used a guide before but if I were to use one it would depend heavily on what I was paying for.

Accomodations in line with the price paid for the hunt.

Knowledgable and respectful guide that works hard for his clients.

Opportunity(s) to harvest the "class" of animals that I am expecting to harvest. No 100% guarantee just need to see the animals and know that they are there and the rest is up to me.

Good hot meals.

Fair chase hunting in unfenced land.

Basically I would just want to have a good hunt and an good, honest effort from the guide knowing that the animals are there if I can do my part.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I expect everything to be as it was presented to me when I booked the hunt.I also expect the guide and outfitter to do everything in their power to make my hunt is sucsessful and enjoyable,that doesn't mean a guaranteed kill just a true effort.Food and accomadations are not as important as a quality hunt,eg.I would rather stay in modest camp with enough food to fill me up,and have a good hunt in a good area,with a knowledgeable guide,than stay at a 5 star resort and eat steak and lobster,and have a guide that doesn't work for me.This also is dependent on the amount I am paying for the hunt and in what region of the country I am hunting.Bottom line is present what you will provide and offer honestly and then no one should have any complaints.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I believe everything has pretty much been covered, but I feel as long as the guide is knowledgeable, the game is as advertised as far as quality and quanity of animals seen, and the price is fair for the hunt I 'll stay at a cheap motel and eat Burger King if the hunt is grand, I don't care about accomidations.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:03 AM

Thanks Guys!

This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm after.
Please don't anyone else hesitate to add any of their considerations.
All input gratefully accepted

The more long-winded and specific the better.

Thanks again folks, don't stop now.

Be Safe
--Umzingeli
Old 08-11-2004, 12:52 AM

Morning Folks.

Sorry, I just want to *bump* this thread,
The more information I can gather on this, the better.

Thanks for all your help so far!
--Umzingeli
Old 08-11-2004, 03:29 PM

Being honest about the accomendations and quailty/quantity of animals is the best.

Accomendations - Place to sleep - cot / tent.
Food - as long as it dont come back up. Morning coffee!
Guides that are good to the clients no bad attitudes ect. Also there knowledge of the area.
Plenty of water.

It does not have to be fancy. Just a place to crash after a long hard day hunting.

Priced according to services provided.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:36 PM

Hi guys.

I’ve been following this thread with interest, and on the whole, find the replies quite funny, and typical of hunters that have all the knowledge, and none of the experience.

You can clearly distinguish deer hunters from all others by their complaints about bad guides, lying outfitters, no hot water on tap, lack of comfortable accommodation, food, and most of all, their desire for a cheap hunt. Typical!

The only thing that no-one has complained about, (probably because it’s too embarrassing), is that the outfitter didn’t deliver the poor animal right into your lap without messing up your fancy suit.

How about tracking an African elephant for 31 days, sleeping in the veldt, being stung by scorpions, sucked dry by mosquitoes, with nothing but maize porridge for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with no early morning coffee, no cold beer, and certainly no Jack Daniels to clear the dust clotting your throat?

Watching your guide on day 17, with nothing to tell who’s suffered the most, you or him, and whether or not to call it quits and bring this madness to an end?

Eventually, on the 31st day, when I shot the animal, I couldn’t be bothered, or care less, about the weight of those beautiful tusks that I’d first seen on day 5, while observing the animal, far out of range.

I have been hunting in the most remote parts of sub-Saharan Africa for most of my life, and stopped collecting trophies many moons ago. I still partake in this sport on a regular basis though, because I love it so much.

Having read all the funny remarks, obviously mostly from Americans, I cannot help but appreciate the foresight of our Creator, as he obviously knew very well who to put where on earth.

C’mon you sissies, show some balls and put your money where your mouth is! Once you’ve hunted in Africa consistently for at least 5 years, you’ll have gained enough experience to call yourselves hunters, and to appreciate the fact that your outfitter stuck a cold beer in your hand in the middle of the Kalahari desert with the temperatures soaring into the 40’s. Never mind the fact that you didn’t have your “usual” breakfast of bacon and eggs and little pork sausages.

For many of the above reasons, it is unlawful in most of Africa to let loose these sissies on their own, as they would be dead within 48 hours. Because of this, they are provided with a Professional Hunter to make sure that they get to the airport in one piece.

It’s no fun to find out that you’ve been tracking yourself for 10 days in the bush if you don’t know what you were doing, and then join the statistics with so many others who have become an easy meal for a lion, or a late afternoon snack for a hungry hyena.

Still, maybe I have exaggerated a bit, and you guys are not that bad, but surely you’ll have to agree that hunters such as Hemingway, Ruark, Selous, and of late; Peter Hathaway Capstick, are not around anymore. Even myself, I consider part of a dying breed.

The true value of sport hunting cannot be measured by the “luxuries” that have become so much part of a modern generation. Trust me; it is the experience, which has no monetary value, which by the end of the day, as you sit quietly contemplating your memoirs, will ultimately remain. Not the “humorous” guide who had to listen to your nonsense, including the past experiences which, in an African context, suddenly become meaningless.

I just thought that I’d offer a different perspective on the whole issue. I trust that you will take it in the spirit in which it’s intended.

Regards
PH
Old 08-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

I would say a better name would be "ProfArrogantAHole"I think everyone who answered this post gave good honest insight,but we are just "sissie" american hunters that don't know what we are doing.Next time I want to kill an elephant I'll ask for you advise,maybe you should learn to blow your own whistle a bit softer "Great White Hunter"Something else I didn't mention before a hunt can be soured if you have Arrogant Aholes in camp[:'(]

Quick Reply: A Question for all Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.