Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gun or bow?

Old 07-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun or bow?

EKM, thats the diff between us I guess is you like hunting with a bunch of commandos as I prefer going solo. I don't think it has to do anything with gun vs. bow. Two each there own. What ever works for ya than stick with it. I have just found it difficult to stalk within bow range with the hunting party your bringing. Its just too crowded for me. Bobby
Old 07-25-2004, 12:25 AM

I would deffinately say bow seams so much more rewarding, but I do rifle and muzzle load hunt as well I think any type of it is enjoyable one way or another.
as far as the bow kill statements.... I can back you on this one jroot,
I have seen many elk shot with an arrow and die well under 100 yards.
Yes I have seen some go farther then that but were not "perfect shots", as I have seen many times happen to rifle hunters.
I have seen elk and moose go no more then 3- 4 STEPS after having an arrow go through both lungs. And yes, I have seen elk and moose drop in there tracks because of a poor shot (or lucky I guess) and ending up having the arrow hit the spinal cord.
I do believe with the statement of a perfectly good arrow placement it will drop them is true.
As far as ekm choosing the rifle for your reasons I have to agree because you are running a camp and the success of a guy with a rifle is by far greater then with a bow. Getting that animal down is very important to make the trip for you're guys.
There are a few rifle hunters out there who do hunt simalar to a bow hunter and gets nice and close to those babies as well, they just don't want to use a bow.

I don't know why, But I get such a rush when I'm hunting with a bow wheather I get an animal or not. Usaully a bow hunter will have many oppertunities to kill that animal "If" he had a rifle. So you expeirence that part of the rifle "rush" only to then experience it to another level once he comes in a little closer or "hangs up" at 60 yards for 20 min. So what if he busts you and walks away.... I always say weather or not you get one, you will always get you're PICTURE for the year. This picture is not with a camera, but taken with you're eyes and branded into you're mind forever that you will never forget, or loose or get deleted...can't wait for my picture for 2004......36 more sleeps!

Mark
Old 07-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to use a bow. Yes it is more labor intensive than getting ready for the rifle season. However it is worth every bit of effort. I myself have never killed an elk with a rifle, but have many under my belt with a bow. As far as success rates. My archery hunting group is leaps and bounds above the success ratios with those using rifles. But this comes at a cost. In the past year I have shot in 22 3-D tournaments to prepare for the season. This next weekend I will pack in 5 miles with two other guys and replentish our cache for the upcoming season. The bows are deadly in the right hands. ALL of my elk have been shot at under 20 yards and have fallen no further than 50 yards. As far as which is deadlier I will not put money on either. As far as penetration goes. I would put my money on the bow. When the term archer is used it should be for those who are dedicated to the sport ,and a line should be drawn between them, and those who wing arrows in hopes that they will hit the animal and hope that it goes down. It also should be the same for those who hunt with rifles. You need to know what you are capable of with your weapon and don't push the limits on such a magnificent animal such as an elk. Be it rifle or bow, both are extremely dangerous when it comes to elk. But in the wrong hands and a poor shot ,both weapons can send an elk hobbling away. Think before you shoot.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really like both for multiple and different reasons, wouldnt give up either!!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:30 PM

Bow. More challange, longer season, i like bows better than guns, different setting throughout the season, more access.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

Ok to put my input in . I new there would be a little bow gun conflict and I also thought that EKM would be on top of the gun side just love to draw him out on a debate.

I hunt bow for elk just becase of time and less hunters but I will hunt anything with gun ,bow ,black powder , pistol If they opened rock chuking season sign me up Iam in.

I think everyone should try every method of hunting there is it makes you an all around better hunter(IMO)

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:26 PM

You are welcome, my pleasure (especially since this forum is sooo s-l-o-w)!

You'll find I'm reliable/predictable if I have any interest in responding to a thread at all.
My lines run the same (consistent) as I walk the same walk that I am talking about.

Jus' me, the army, and the marines.

BTW, tried the archery thing a long time ago. Kinda like trading a GTO for a bicycle![][]

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 07-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM, just remember. If the driver can't find out how to get the GTO in gear, the bicyclist is going to win. By the way, I don't like wearing tight pants.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 PM

Definitely a BOW, Bigbulls hit it right on the mark with his comments!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love bowhunting !

1. longer season's
2. need of getting in closer
3. Challenge
4. easier to get hunting access with a bow
5. easier to get tag's
6. the extra commitment it takes
6 the sense of accomplishment is much different than rifle { to me }
7. The rush of being close to making a kill or not
8. The extra time in the wood's scouting and preping for the season

I'm not knocking anyone here ,I used to hunt exclusivly with a rifle but needed a challenge of something different .There are so many thing's involved with bowhunting that we never used while rifle hunting and i really find it hard to compare other than we are all hunters brothers and sisters ,but some choose to hunt by different methods and we all need to stick togetherbecause we're all out there for the same reason's ,to bring home the quarrie.

nubo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.