Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting

Old 07-16-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Elk Hunting

Well I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I have an extra week vacation (no I'm not trying to give it away). I have been thinking about planning an elk hunt with my hunting buddy. We deer hunt every year but have never elk hunted. I'm thinking about going to Colorado. Does anyone have any information that would help. Like the best place to go...cost for out of state. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting

Colorado either sex tag is $485 or a cow tag is $250. No one is going to give you there honey hole. There are sooo many places to go, pick some place on the western slope. Talk to a game biolagist at the fish and wildlife, they will stear you in the right direction. You should have some idea where you want to hunt. Get a copy of the regulations to find out where over the counter tags are available. Good luck
Old 07-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are on the right track if you want the best chances of harvesting an elk on a do it yourself hunt. Colorado has more elk than any other place in the world.

If you want an either sex tag or a cow tag you will have to buy a left over tag when they go on sale in August and you or a represenative must be at the DOW office to purchase these tags. Most of the state is over the counter for bulls and on such short notice this is probably your best bet.

The White River National Forest heard is the largest in the state. There are a lot of elk there (50,000+). Both North and South of I-70. Start researching this national forrest as there plenty of places you can put together a very successful hunt there.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know it is not glamorous, but I would suggest a cow hunt the first year. Cheaper ($250) and you will get your feet wet with a decent chance of actually harvesting an elk. Your odds of success would be better too. And the meat is great! Find an area with lots of left over cow tags, which will give you an idea of good elk populations. Then call the local DOW people and find out if all the cow tags are left over because there are lots of elk on public land or because there is lots of private and the elk may go there after opening day. When you find an area with lots of elk on public, then start getting in shape and plan on getting farther from the road than the other guy. And then, contemplate killing a 600-800 lb steer several miles from the truck in very steep terrain. How are you going to get him to the truck. Then REALLY start getting into shape! Good luck.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:56 AM

Thanks guys. I have hiked and camped in Colorado a lot and have seen the herds of Elk. I didn't know for sure but I had a feeling that colorado was the place to go. There will be two of us so we should be able to get the kill back to the truck. Again thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:16 AM

Shoot me an e-mail [email protected]
Old 07-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Fork Horn

big game cd 3 words
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 PM

Elk are awsome! hope you both get one!!!