Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Give me a break

Old 07-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Give me a break

I'm sure someone has posted something similar to this little rant that I am about to undertake!!!

This is about the so called "HUNTING"??? shows that I have seen (especially lately) on t.v
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:'(]
A guy shows up at a "RANCH" where he/she sets up in a tree stand over a "Food plot" where they pass up deer after deer (or whatever they are "HUNTING"???) because they "JUST WEREN'T BIG ENOUGH???????" Then climb down and head back to "CAMP" ( Usually a plush living space with "ALL OF THE AMENITIES"????) and then have the B@!!$ to say "WOW what a tough hunt BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA"
What a LOAD OF CR*P !!!!!!!!! and they can sell this as HUNTING??????????
Then when ( not if) they shoot something more often than not the first thing out of their mouths is about what it might score. They don't even appreciate the gift in front of them!!! Don't make me puke!!!!@#$% Put these guy's on the ground or take them off the RANCHE'S and let's see how they do??? It's not just the show but the commercials and magazines as well

Whatever happened to getting together with you buddie's and scouting or making a plan of action on how to hunt your quarry???
Don't give me that "It's the evolution of hunting"........Bull !!!!!!!! It's called LAZINESS !!!!!!!!!! Plant some DEER FOOD so that they will come to us and we won't have to do much of anything.........WOOOO HOOO sounds like a good way to polish our skills [:@][:'(]

I'm not against trophy hunting. Ithink most of us would like to hang that big one on the wall. But at least "Hunt" the darn thing!!!!!!!

I could go on!! But chew on this for a while. I'm curious as to the reaction I'll get????

Bill
Old 07-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Give me a break

Hi Bill:

I share your feelings. However, there must be enough "hunters" watching/reading the programming to make money for these "producer/hunters". I guess more people think hunting is done over salt blocks than not...

How would those producers keep up with you on your weeklong pack-in smokepole hunts!

Good luck this year.
CE
Old 07-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you glob!! I get sick when I see these hunting shows where people are hunting over feeders in these heated stands with shooting rests and cushioned seats, and just wait for the deer to come in. And yes, that is the first word out of their mouth is what it will score. These people need to get out and really "hunt" and re-learn how to camp. When I go hunting, I wake up to temps of near 0, have to get out of a sleeping bag, and muster the energy to start a fire, then get out and set out on foot to hunt what I am pursuing. I started to get fed up with these "hunting" shows and quit watching them! They need to get off of their soapboxes and experience what is like to really hunt!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Hey John How are ya??

I'm afraid those producer's wouldn't fair very well at all.
Like CB said sometimes it's all you can do just to get out of your bag at 0*
I may have one of those pack in ML spots open if your game?

I haven't givin' up on the shows and mags yet there are a couple here and there where they almost hunt like the rest of us????
But as for the others......[:'(]
Old 07-12-2004, 11:25 PM

I'll agree with you glob3006. I do like to watch Mike Eastmans show on the outdoor channel, but it as not been on lately.

As much as I respect Ted Nugent for his pro-hunting, shooting, gun owning, NRA board member, etc ways. He hunts a lot of the ranches the way you mentioned, though the one thing I notice about Ted is he seems to kill what most of us would consider average or less than average deer, so its not always about the "score" for him.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In "NRA's July 2004 American Hunter" they have a article by Bill Buckley "Meat Hunter" Pg. 35 that talks about meat hunters VS trophy hunters. I really enjoyed the article (check it out). Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Ted Nugent and Eatsman's would be a couple of the few exceptions that still know the true value of hunting. Fore example, Ted Nugent's family only eats the meat from game taken every year, not from any other source, and the Eastman family has spent many years traveling to the farthest reaches of the continent in search of the toughest game on the planet. I think they still really know how to hunt, and know what it means to hunt. Some people that I do actually have respect for.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:39 AM

In "NRA's July 2004 American Hunter" they have a article by Bill Buckley "Meat Hunter" Pg. 35 that talks about meat hunters VS trophy hunters. I really enjoyed the article (check it out). Good luck.
I second that. This is a really good article.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 AM

glob3006

I guess you are right in certain aspects, and wrong in the others, the main thing i disagree on is you said planting food plots and letting them come to you, that is done alot here in the south because of how thick the woods are, is it thick where you hunt or can u see a mile, but yes alot of these shows are jokes
Old 07-13-2004, 08:57 AM

Hmmm...actually food plots have benefitted deer for many years. Even when they were called corn fields...bean fields...or alfalfa fields...etc. Yes, I too am getting tired of videos showing rich guys going to these "resorts" to hunt deer that rarly, if ever, venture onto public lands. I do have a problem with your view on food plots and so called "lazy" hunters. You are now part of the problem of distancing hunters from ourselves which makes it easier for the anti-hunters to win, if you start "name-calling" your fellow hunters. Being in Colorado...do you use binoculars for your spot and stalk hunts? Why? Are you that lazy not to track? How far of a shot do you take? 300, 250, 200, 150 yrds? Why not get closer? Just too lazy? See my point. Human beings, by nature, will always try to find an easier way to do things. Food plots for those over in this part of the country are very benneficial. We have less "wild" or open areas than in the bread-basket and mountain states. Recently, food plots are being designed around deer instead of cattle use and are benefitting hunters in areas where there is an extremely low number of larger bucks. There are not as many people in this part of the world that have the funds to go to the areas of this continent where there are larger numbers of big bucks that one can effectivly travel to scout those areas properly. I don't care if you are 14 or 90 years old we all have dreams of getting a big buck or at least seeing one. If one has even a little bit of land food plots can help that hunter see more deer and increase the odds of seeing or getting a big buck or maybe not a big buck but a smaller one...it is up to how that hunter wants to manage the land. Which all in all allows for better herd management because deer in areas where they are mostly nocturnal have difficult time managing the numbers which increase car deer accidents. This method also allows the state game agencies in their efforts because of money issues that they have. Which when it all boils down to the skinny...herd management is what hunting's back-bone is in todays day-in-age. Yes, "the Heritage", "Family Values", "putting meat on the table", "going on the HUNT" I too embrace. Unfortunatly, when it comes to defending the act of hunting against the anti-hunting movement...the management angle is the ONLY angle they can't defend against. You have to remember something videos are intended for one purpose...to get you geeked for the hunt and go buy the products they are selling. No different than that of a NASCAR sponser. I have said this before I wish I had the video equipment so I could make my own video showing true scouting, stand placement, what a stalk entails..etc...But I am limited in my time & money. I will someday though.

Quick Reply: Give me a break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.