Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Baiting Black Bear.

Old 02-23-2002, 04:06 PM

Default Baiting Black Bear.

I am considering purchasing a liscence for the spring black bear hunt. I looking for any tips or suggestions about baiting. What to use? How often to expect a bear to return to a bait? What to look for in a baiting sight?

One of the guys at work said his bother baited bear with old doughnuts once and was successful. Anyone else try this.

Final question. What does bear taste like? What would you compare it to? I've never tasted it before.

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Kevin Murphy
Old 02-23-2002, 05:02 PM

Default RE: Baiting Black Bear.

First Pastry + Dounts , Sardines I open and nail to a tree a let drip.., Grease from a deep fryer, Molasses, fish guts will do . There nothing wrong with Bear to eat..Some people like and some don't.I like it on the Barbeque..
Old 02-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

To attract bears I use meat.After the bait is being hit pastries and other things such as oats and mollasses will work fine.Once a a bait has been hit check the bait and restock it every day to keep the bear feeding daily.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:42 PM

It's kinda like KFC. No one is going to give you their secret recipe! I'll set up 2-3 barrels at a bait site. If you know a trapper grab all the beaver bodies, they're on the bears natural diet. Barley and oats work well. Plus something sweet, honey or molasses, which you can pour down the side of a barrel. This will keep the bear shoulder deep in a barrel for a couple minutes. Make sure to set up your barrels so that the bear's vision is obscured so that you can get a good look at the bear. This will give you time to ensure that your looking at a boar or dry sow and that it is what you are looking for. If possible set the barrel up so that the bear in a quartering away from you to allow for a good shot, especially if you are using a bow. As far as taste, you'll have to find out for yourself.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I noticed another post about calling bears with rabbit and fawn ditress calls. If you are baiting is it a good idea to call at the same time. That is, call until a bear can be seen/heard then stop calling and let it come into the bait. Or would using both methods together distract or spook the bear.

Once again, thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin Murphy
Newfoundland, Canada
Old 02-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

DaNewf, this year in while we were fall hunting with bow in Ontario one of the guys called in a bear to the bait with a rabbit distress call. He killed it...and it was big. It came right in.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:43 PM

we use jelly donut filling, peanut butter, sugar cones, liquid smoke, molasasse, cereal, grease, and pretty much anything sweet.

i hunt with dogs so it might be a little different. most of our baits get hit once a night, sometimes during the day, but mostly at night.

in my opinion bear meat is awesome, some peole dont like it but i like it in a roast.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

WHEN IT WAS LEGAL TO BAIT IN WASHINGTON WE USED THE GUTS FORM FISH, DOG FOOD, DONUTS, HONEY AND ANYTHING ELSE WE COULD FIND. I'VE ALSO HEARD OF PEOPLE USING TAMPOONS THAT HAVE BEEN USED, NEVER TRIED IT MY SELF BUT HEARD IT WORKS.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:49 PM

I dont care for bear meat so I dont hunt them but I have a lot of friends who do hunt bear. One friend works not far from a candy confectionary and gets 50lb boxes of salted nut roll or gummy bears and oats with molasses. All three were put in a pile with a log on top and we video taped a bear coming in for several days. It would come in and throw the log off then sit on it's rump or lay on it's belly and pick the gummy bears out one by one til they were all gone. Then it would eat the salted nut roll and then the oats and molasses. Always in that order. I also hear a lot of people say that if you feed a bear garbage it will taste like garbage but feed it sweets it will taste good.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:03 AM

hey robb92 the tampons thing works way too good and is way too illegal. a bear with a tampon diet is gonna be eatin our wifes and daughters next

Quick Reply: Baiting Black Bear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.