Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunting elk in the Rut, Cow call or Bugle ? >

Hunting elk in the Rut, Cow call or Bugle ?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting elk in the Rut, Cow call or Bugle ?

Old 06-20-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Hunting elk in the Rut, Cow call or Bugle ?

As some of you know I am hunting elk for the first time. Hunting in the Absaroka-Beartooths in Montana, early backcountry season. This is a guided hunt 2 hunter per guide. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to learn to use a call of some sorts. Besides using a fawn bleat or grunt tube(whitetail hunting) I haven't had much experiance with these things. Who makes a good call? Should I get a cow call or bugle?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:41 PM

Default RE: Hunting elk in the Rut, Cow call or Bugle ?

IMHO, cow call, a small easy one that you can use to "stop them" with when the shot comes if they are moving. Get one that you can let hang out of the corner of your mouth like a cigarette whilst you have the other side of your face to the stock of your rifle.

Leave the bugling to your guide, that is what you are paying him for and you can easily do more damage than good if you aren't really, really, really on your game. If a diaphragm doesn't make you gag, then that is quite handy; however, I get tired of them on a full time basis.

There will have to be a million opinions on this one.

EKM
Old 06-20-2004, 08:45 PM

EKM,

Do you recommend a particular brand of cow call?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the rut I use several diff cow calls with great success imulating several different cows and calf calls. I like to mix up my cow/calf calls to reassure confidence in the bull that there is more than one. I have mix feelings about using the bull call during this time of year as if a good bull has a harem of cows he is not going to leave them to fight another bull but rather take his harem and head up the mountain to avoid a confrontation with another bull especially if your close to his harem. You can do a location call in using the bull call to locate them but if I had the signs around I would stick with using the cow in heat call. Its very easy to use. Timing is everything and I would leave the bull calling to the guide until you have more experience. Good luck, Bobby
Old 06-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

I also agree that a cow call or two will work well. I've stopped cows cold with a cow call and also called in a bull with same.
I've used both the Woodswise cow call and also the newer "Hootchie Mama" cow calls. Both work well. the Woodswise call comes with a VHS and cassette tapes. Easy to use. The Hootchie Mama is worked with your hand vice having to blow into it.

Regards.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Reed calls are easier to operate but limited sounds, while a diaphram call allows more range but is tougher to learn and master. I would suggest trying both and deciding which one is best for this trip. The hootchie mama is easy but limited and I think if it is your only source for cow or calf talk it might not work that great. However I use in conjunction with a reed or diaphram and have had some very good results. In our area we find that talking like a herd or different elk works better in luring the bulls out of the cover due to pressure and intense hunter bugling on going. Personally I use Primos calls; diaphram plate calls, lead cow reed call and hootchie mama for my cow/calf talk. I also use the Primos Terminator Bugle with both the snap on bladder or with a Imperial Plate/Ivory Plate diaphram call.

You can often find single calls or elk calling kits that also include a video and/or cassette with instruction for use. Hunting videos can also help with sounds you want to mimic while not all go into to great detail how to produce the sounds. Biggest key is keep practicing, I do it while driving to work, watching TV, mowing the lawn, sitting in my backyard or on the deck at the cabin, etc. The kids get a kick out of it, the wife and neighbours roll their eyes but I am happier than a pig in poop when preparing for a hunting trip.

Good Luck
Old 06-27-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out elknut1 website for calls.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:29 PM

No doubt, if you are going to be guided, leave the bugle at home. A cow call should always be handy though to stop an animal, or put the finishing touches on getting him to commit. The Primos hyper lip is a good call and easy to use. I really like the "cow talk" call with the small rubber band set up. I can get alot of different sounds out of this call, from a great calf sound up to various cow calls. I think their web site is www.elkinc.com. They are based in Montanta.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Whitetails & Muskies

You're right, that is a very good call, I always have one of those with me when elk hunting, they make great cow or calf sounds as well as lost & seperated sounds, all types distress sounds, pre-estrus whines, you name it. It does saliva up also though now and then, but is easy to clean. I also carry those on my "Site". elknut1
Old 06-28-2004, 09:47 AM

If you have guides calling for you this year just sit back and listen to how they use them. You can be like a student in a classroom. I would pick up a cow call to use to stop em if your guide isn't around though. The brand I use if from Abe and Sons http://www.abe-son.com/
Good calls and nice guy.

Quick Reply: Hunting elk in the Rut, Cow call or Bugle ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.