Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Camping 3rd Rifle Season In Colorado >

Camping 3rd Rifle Season In Colorado

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Camping 3rd Rifle Season In Colorado

Old 06-17-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Camping 3rd Rifle Season In Colorado

Any of you guys ever camp during 3rd rifle season in Colorado without wall tents? Me and the guys that I hunt with are thinking of camping this year instead of staying in a hotel, it will save us about an hour and a half drive every morning, but we don't have wall tents.
We were thinking of maybee renting a pop-up trailor and using that. We would still have to winterize it so the wind would'nt blow thru. Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:04 AM

Default RE: Camping 3rd Rifle Season In Colorado

The group from Mississippi that consistently hunts in our area uses tent campers. The find a sheltered glen (wind wise), and park them in a semi circle up against the woods. They then put tarps up over them and clear down to the ground on the "backside" and stake/rope them down. I do not know if they use the heaters in them as they are some rough looking tent campers. If you do use the propane heat then buy some battery operated Carbon Monoxide detectors just so you can sleep without concern.

I'd always see these boys standing around the fire a lot some I'm betting it was a cold camp, or one with only temporary heat.

The main thing with 3rd season camping is that you need to keep yourself in a position to be able to break camp and get down the road if extreme winter weather threatens and tent campers are good for that.

EKM
Old 06-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excatly what he said!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:24 AM

Thanks ELKampMaster for the idea. My buddies were thinking of puting wool blankets aroung the mesh part of the pop-ups windows. I think that the tarps may help even more than the blankets. Great idea about the carbon monoxide detectors. I was a little nervous about using propane heaters in the camper. I will run these ideas by my buddies tonight.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you put tarps over your camp trailer? Leave some room for your moisture to escape. I own a camper & wall tents. If I were going to hunt late in the season, like you are? I would not bring my camper. Campers/trailers in cold weather do not mix well. A pull trailer is a pain in the rear to pull on slick roads.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

I use my small travel trailer for elk hunting and waterfowl hunting thru January. Suggest a catalytic convertor heater. Bring lots of propane or be close enough to get refills every few days. Two tanks will last you about four days if you conserve. Wave makes one also Coleman makes a small version.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

I tried the same thing years ago. I honestly think you would be futher ahead by just biting the bullet & getting a wall tent. Especially if you will be hunting elk over the coming years. I see your from Colorado so I'm assuming you will. Check out Colorado Tent in Denver for some close out specials, that's where I got mine. Just make sure you get 5' side walls.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:19 AM

All the above are workable options, but if ya are serious and are looking foreward to more years of huntin', listen to CO Bob!

I live in Leadville where it is "3rd season" all year! When we hit the trail it looks like the "Joads" heading West! It is a pain but all that neet stuff dosent do ya any good sittin' at home.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas CO Bob. And yes I live in Denver. I do plan to continue to elk and deer hunt for many years to come. I am going to check into the Colorado tent store in Denver and see if I can fit a wall tent into my budget before elk season starts. Any thoughts on a stove? Will the tent store also have them? I will let you know what I find out. Again thanks for the info.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:16 AM

I just checked out a place called davis tent here in Denver and I was plesently suprised by the prices. I was expecting the tents and stoves to be more expensive. Now I've got to start working on the wife. I should'nt have a problem justifying the cost when I compare it to the cost of a hotel. If I purchase the tent and the stove myself it will pay for itself in two sesons. Thanks everyone for the info.