Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk results online!

Old 06-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CO elk results online!

They have them out. My group of 4 all drew elk muzzy tags. Can't wait, good luck!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CO elk results online!

I applied for archery but diddnt get it. I did get Elk rifle though for 2nd choice.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Fork Horn

we drew 2 State wide muzzleloader bull tags .....went in partners.and we drew....oh how sweet its gona be!!!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 01:14 AM

HooHah!

My 2 boys and I got 2 bull (either sex) tags and 1 cow only tag! Very Nice. Now to just pick up 3 more cow tags on the left over draw in July (just in case opportunity really knocks) and then we should be in business. Bring them on! Elk steak, elk roast, elk jerky, elk chili.... Mmmmm!

BTW, it takes a lot of beer to butcher an elk (we like to cut them up right in camp before folks go home). Always fun to talk to the "road hunters" who stop by to talk once the bones out in front of the wall tent start to pile up a bit.

I am excited! ....but still in no hurry for the season to get here --- still got plenty of stuff to do to get everything prepared. Will be doing a scouting trip in July and then probably again in August.

May your hunt be safe, your panniers full, and your horses calm,

EKM
Old 06-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elk. Curious what you mean by "butcher". We always quarter them, but as I understand it, you can not legally do more than quarter them unless they are wrapped and frozen solid. Do you take them to a freezer and get them frozen for the trip?

Congrats on the draw. You should be able to fill up some freezers!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:32 AM

I drew my cow tag for second rifle season! My mom didn't draw her's, not sure about the rest of the group yet. Good luck to everyone!
Old 06-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

got my statewide muzzleloader tag and drew my deer tag, an early season Mt Zirkel Wilderness hunt. Should be fun telling my customers not to call me in Sept. Deer hunt is Aug 28 to Sept 5, then I get 5 days off and hunt elk from Sept 11-19.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

WAHOO!! Just check my draw and my whole group got drawn for Muley Bucks and Cow Elk. This is the first time in four years that anyone has got a buck tag.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:18 PM

txhunter58,

Ah, what to do AFTER the elk are shot and down, one of my favorite subjects! In answer to your questions..... "yes".

We quarter for transport in panniers on our horses and then start butchering them in camp. Butcher: clean, trim, cut into portions, and package. Last year we took a freezer and a refrigerator/freezer. The elk meat gets divided and sent home as we break camp. It is a great comeraderie (sp?) builder and a makes for a cool tradition in our group.

Meat right after cutting the bone out of the quarter....

Clean, Trim, Portion....

Steaks/Loins L. and Roasts R.

Jerky L. and Burger R.

Burger grinding....

Dividing up the packaged meat. Freezer and Refrigerator in the background.

"Elk Dog" raiding the aforementioned bone pile from in front of the tent...

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 06-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

txhunter58, I had to look up the frozen thing on the DOW website. Pretty interesting that it has to be frozen

From the Colorado DOW..

EVIDENCE OF SEX, ANTLER POINTS.....yadda yadda yadda...

Evidence of sex is not required when a donation certificate
accompanies less than 20 lbs. of meat or after the carcass is cut into
processed meat (commercially or otherwise), wrapped and
frozen
, or stored at licensee’s home.

Quick Reply: CO elk results online!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.