HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   CO elk results online! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/62802-co-elk-results-online.html)

txhunter58 06-03-2004 06:36 PM

CO elk results online!

They have them out. My group of 4 all drew elk muzzy tags. Can't wait, good luck!

Sharp Shooter 06-03-2004 10:08 PM

RE: CO elk results online!

I applied for archery but diddnt get it. I did get Elk rifle though for 2nd choice.

NwOutdoorShop 06-04-2004 12:01 AM

we drew 2 State wide muzzleloader bull tags .....went in partners.and we drew....oh how sweet its gona be!!!!!

ELKampMaster 06-04-2004 01:14 AM

HooHah!

My 2 boys and I got 2 bull (either sex) tags and 1 cow only tag! Very Nice. Now to just pick up 3 more cow tags on the left over draw in July (just in case opportunity really knocks) and then we should be in business. Bring them on! Elk steak, elk roast, elk jerky, elk chili.... Mmmmm!

BTW, it takes a lot of beer to butcher an elk (we like to cut them up right in camp before folks go home). Always fun to talk to the "road hunters" who stop by to talk once the bones out in front of the wall tent start to pile up a bit.

I am excited! ....but still in no hurry for the season to get here --- still got plenty of stuff to do to get everything prepared. Will be doing a scouting trip in July and then probably again in August.

May your hunt be safe, your panniers full, and your horses calm,

EKM

txhunter58 06-04-2004 06:29 AM

Elk. Curious what you mean by "butcher". We always quarter them, but as I understand it, you can not legally do more than quarter them unless they are wrapped and frozen solid. Do you take them to a freezer and get them frozen for the trip?

Congrats on the draw. You should be able to fill up some freezers!

iloveto4x4innc 06-04-2004 10:32 AM

I drew my cow tag for second rifle season! My mom didn't draw her's, not sure about the rest of the group yet. Good luck to everyone!

Jorgy 06-04-2004 11:15 AM

got my statewide muzzleloader tag and drew my deer tag, an early season Mt Zirkel Wilderness hunt. Should be fun telling my customers not to call me in Sept. Deer hunt is Aug 28 to Sept 5, then I get 5 days off and hunt elk from Sept 11-19.

texasaggiebowhunter 06-04-2004 11:26 AM

WAHOO!!:D:D Just check my draw and my whole group got drawn for Muley Bucks and Cow Elk. This is the first time in four years that anyone has got a buck tag.

ELKampMaster 06-04-2004 04:18 PM

txhunter58,

Ah, what to do AFTER the elk are shot and down, one of my favorite subjects! In answer to your questions..... "yes".

We quarter for transport in panniers on our horses and then start butchering them in camp. Butcher: clean, trim, cut into portions, and package. Last year we took a freezer and a refrigerator/freezer. The elk meat gets divided and sent home as we break camp. It is a great comeraderie (sp?) builder and a makes for a cool tradition in our group.

Meat right after cutting the bone out of the quarter....

Clean, Trim, Portion....

Steaks/Loins L. and Roasts R.

Jerky L. and Burger R.

Burger grinding....

Dividing up the packaged meat. Freezer and Refrigerator in the background.

"Elk Dog" raiding the aforementioned bone pile from in front of the tent...

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM

Jorgy 06-04-2004 05:01 PM

txhunter58, I had to look up the frozen thing on the DOW website. Pretty interesting that it has to be frozen

From the Colorado DOW..

EVIDENCE OF SEX, ANTLER POINTS.....yadda yadda yadda...

Evidence of sex is not required when a donation certificate
accompanies less than 20 lbs. of meat or after the carcass is cut into
processed meat (commercially or otherwise), wrapped and
frozen
, or stored at licensee’s home.

txhunter58 06-04-2004 05:42 PM

Gig um Texasaggie. I am class of 80. Hope you have great luck. What unit/units will you be hunting? We are going to hunt elk with a muzzloader near Durango, probably 71 and 711.

Jorgy: Great luck on your timberline hunt. The dates are great too. Have they always been earlier than other high country buck hunts, or is that new? My brother and I went to the Sangre de Chriso wilderness last year, but it was a week later. Earlier should be better. Was a great experience! Have fun.

Thanks for the photos Elk

Jorgy 06-04-2004 05:55 PM

Jorgy: Great luck on your timberline hunt. The dates are great too. Have they always been earlier than other high country buck hunts, or is that new? My brother and I went to the Sangre de Chriso wilderness last year, but it was a week later. Earlier should be better. Was a great experience! Have fun.
Yeah, up in the northern part of the state the "early" wilderness deer hunts are a week earlier. I've never hunted deer that early in the year, but do alot of my deer hunting with muzzleloader which is 2 weeks after the "early" season. Should be interesting. I have a buddy of mine going with me that I backpack with, and we do some backpack trips up there every summer. He knows that he is going to be a pack mule, but I don't know if he really knows what he is in for if I find my monster mulie. He isn't a hunter. I think I'll just pack in some extra bbq sauce and eat him where he lays if I get lucky.

Jorgy 06-04-2004 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

We are going to hunt elk with a muzzloader near Durango, probably 71 and 711.
txhunter58, have you ever used the train between Durango and Silveraton to go elk hunting down there? I had a client a few years back that took the train and they dropped him and a few friends off in the middle of nowhere and he hunted for the week then just waited by the tracks to get picked back up. Great way to get in the middle of nowhere and not have to bust a lung. He also got a wall hanger 6x6 out of the trip

txhunter58 06-04-2004 10:00 PM

No, I have not tried the train to hunt (although I have taken the trip several times) but I have heard it is a pretty good way to get "out there". However, you still have to hike back in the Wilderness and pack him out on your back! After packing a buck over 5 miles out of the Sangres, I decided I want some horses to bring an elk out. We will be camping about 5 miles in on this trip and hunting from there to about 2 miles further out. Sorry, gotta go, gotta start gettin in shape!

Howler 06-05-2004 07:09 AM

Man, I thought we hauled a lot of stuff to elk camp. I mean heck, we take a 16'x32' tent , fully carpeted, indoor shower, 5 burner cook stove, food storage cabinet, propane heat and lamps, etc. BUT EKM, you take the "cake". What do you guys take, U-haul trucks to get all that stuff to camp. A freezer and fridge!! Holy cow!!

ELKampMaster 06-05-2004 08:01 AM

Howler,

Yeah, we go for the "power elk camp" set up, although our spike camp (about 4 miles or so back in) can be carried in or out on one horse. We find generally if you are in it for the long pull and "come thick or thin" that the heavy duty camp to "recharge" in is a competitive advantage. (BTW, we saved $800 last year by butchering our own.)

Otherwise everything you saw arrives and leaves in these three vehicles...
[You're right, the word uhaul is in there and quite appropriate!]

I know from some of your descriptions that you enjoy taking some of the comforts of home along as well. :):):)

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM

txhunter58 06-05-2004 02:54 PM

I can't remember their name at the moment, but there is a business out of Grand Junction that will set up a base camp for you wherever you make an X on a map. Have to be able to get a 4 wheel drive vehichle to the spot. I believe for around a $1000, they set up a 16X 30 tent,heated with propane, cots, stove, cooking pots/pans/utensils, and an electric generator. All you bring is a sleeping bag and your hunting gear. With 6 guys staying a week or longer that works out pretty cheap without having to haul your own gear.

Not knocking Elk's set up, it is PRIMO, just another option for some who might want to try it out before investing in their own gear. If I remember their name I will post it.

It is pretty obvious that Elk definately lives up to his name!

Sharp Shooter 06-05-2004 04:28 PM

Here is the link http://wildlife.state.co.us/database/

feddoc 06-06-2004 08:46 AM

txhunter58,

Where do you hunt in the Sangres? Thats home for me, been hunting near Saguache since 73 or so.

txhunter58 06-06-2004 10:25 AM

I had a friend show me his honey hole, so I can't reveal the exact location, but it was on the west side and in an area that you couldn't get a horse, so we had to backpack. Not a bad honey hole. I took a 29" 8x7. I hear that most other hunters didn't do as well for the early rifle season.

justhuntitall 06-06-2004 08:23 PM

EKM

Thanks for the pics. Kinda gets the jucies flowing.

We buy over the counter tags for elk but all my buddies and I drew deer tags we dont go after deer but sence they went to a draw for deer years back we are seeing some awsome bucks so we try are hand at a good buck .

Hope every one has a good season.

texasaggiebowhunter 06-07-2004 10:16 AM

Gig'Em TxHunter 58,
We are in 741 Durango on two Different private ranches by the same owner. Have had alot of luck in 741. We back right up to the reservation so for the most part we have very little hunting pressure. When we do pressure them the first place they go is back to the reservation.