Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 limiting more CO elk units >

limiting more CO elk units

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

limiting more CO elk units

Old 05-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default limiting more CO elk units

They are now taking nominations for limiting more units for elk hunting in Colorado. If you feel like you know of an area that should go limited, you should let them know now. They are taking recommendations through mid June.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/limitedDAUprocess/
Old 05-30-2004, 08:35 PM

Default RE: limiting more CO elk units

What do you think Tex - you keep up on Colorado Wildlife politics. You think this will really happen. It will be 66&67 all over again. Do you hunt in limited units for elk? The "limit the non-resident" group on the Western Slope is already saying it will oppose the next resident fee bill becuase the Commission did not approve the 80/20 split. Don't think for a minute that further non-resident limitations and more limited elk DAUs aren't related!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

db: I have mixed feelings. I would love for there to be more "quality" units, not necessarily "trophy" units. In other words, units that have less pressure, take 1-3 years to draw and have some increase in mature bulls. To make more "trophy" units would mean lowering the bull hunting in those units by 50-75% and I am not sure that they need to do that in 30% of the units. I also have mixed feelings because we as nonresidents will get less tags (40% presently) under a limited license system. However, if more areas are limited, people will be more likely to use there points instead of building them up, so it may even out.

Looks like the 60-40% split is going to be in place as least for the next 6 seasons. I kind of think it is the other way around though. The residents know that the only way the DOW will reduce us any further is for their prices to go up. They were backing a raise in fees, but their legislature shot it down even though it had the support of sprortsmans groups from around the state. I think THAT is why they didn't limit nonresidents more this time around. Since they couldn't get more money out of the resdents, they had to keep getting it from us.

I have a few ideas on specific units, such as at least making unit 62 a "quality" unit. 61 is already a trophy unit, and it would make sense to at least lower the hunting in 62. I also think some of the wilderness units such as unit 54 (west elk wilderness) would make sense. For people who pack into a wilderness, hunting every other year and having an increase in quality of bulls would probably be ok. However, there would probably need to be enough units to spread the demand around. As it is now, there are so few limited units, that they have high demand and take lots of points to draw.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 PM

After 150 people showed up the last time th DOW tried to limit 62 and read the Commission the riot act (and about three people spoke in favor) I would be dumbfounded if 62 went limited. You are right, however, that it is the most logical choice. I would expect a major push to make 55, 54 and 551 limited by 25%. Just my guess - we'll see how it turns out.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:35 AM

I have 11pp. for elk and 10 pp. for mulies plan on hunting unit 61 in 05 with the MZ. I have hunted unit 62 with the MZ. 12 years ago me and my brother both scored on bulls. Would like to see more units put in limited this way hunters wouldn't have to wait as long to draw.At 49 years old I would never draw a real good unit again.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if they tried to limit 62 by 25% only, they would have a shot at the locals accepting it. The last time, I am pretty sure they tried to lower tags by more than 50%. They don't neccesarily have to have bot 61 and 62 the same.