Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What are these horns from??????? >

What are these horns from???????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What are these horns from???????

Old 02-21-2002, 01:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default What are these horns from???????

Can anyone tell me what kind of animal these horns came from???
www.community.webshots.com/user/cardeer51
Click on Babe pic 109.Click on pic to enlarge
I dont know where I got theses anymore.Found them in my garage.I want to sell them on e-bay ,but not sure what kind they are.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:53 AM

Default RE: What are these horns from???????

Cardeer..looks like a nice sheep hybrid,I'd say a good Corsican ram. Which is usually a cross between a Mouflon and a Barbado. But as big as the mass is on those I'd say there was some Argali or Big Horn in the history somewhere.More than likely Argali they brought some into Texas years back, and crossed them with every thing. But being dark color like that there is definitly Mouflon or Barbado in it some where though.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks scottsman,I lived in South Texas in the eighties and thats where I probably picked them up at.I know that sounds stupid not to remember,but thats another story.I'll just let the bidders decide,what they are .
Old 02-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks scottsman,I lived in South Texas in the eighties and thats where I probably picked them up at.I know that sounds stupid not to remember,but thats another story.I'll just let the bidders decide,what they are .
Old 02-21-2002, 05:59 PM

be careful cardeer i know in the state of idaho it is illegal to posses sheep horns that are not pinned by the fish and game. if you find a dead sheep you must take it to the fish and game to be pinned. they dont want people poaching them and then selling them on ebay. check your local and federal laws
Old 02-21-2002, 08:57 PM

Cardeer,

What part of south Texas were you in when you found these? They look like some sort of red sheep horns. Corsican and Mouflon tend to be lighter in color then these but red sheep and aoudad are dark colored. There are several exotic ranches down that way that the animal could have escaped from. For example the Red Rock in Cathoula, Galloway's in Dilly, Pasiano in Riveria and others.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Denvas,It would of been either duval or webb county down near Freer and south towards Laredo
Old 02-22-2002, 08:46 AM

Cardeer,

I just finished scoring an Armenian red sheep ram for the Trophy Game Records of the World recordkeeping system and we compared those horns to the ones in your picture and they sure do look like the same kind of animal. Without seeing them in person it is hard to tell. What part of Texas do you live in? I live just northwest of Houston.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:50 AM

CD. if it makes a diffrence Red sheep are a sub- speices of the Europen Mouflon, and Aoudad horns curl down not back. I currently raise some of the purest Mouflons in the country. And was in past years president of the Mouflon Assoc.
Mouflons horns make a heart shape out of their head and grow down and then curl up.
Red sheep ( which I have also owned) horn's grow out and back kinda like a halo.
And as I'm writing this I'm looking out my back window at my daughter's pet Aoudad ram and playing with our Caracal house cat.
I don't know alot in this old world but when it comes to exotics, I can help.
Barbado sheep carry a very dark horn and are a very common hair sheep.
By the way you can't put a Mouflon in the record book unless he's certified pure.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:36 AM

CD..e-mail me the length of the horns from base and the circufrunce(sp) at the base and I can tell you about what the're worth.

Quick Reply: What are these horns from???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.