Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ELK GUN 270 ?

Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ELK GUN 270 ?

I shot my first elk with a .270 when I was 14 years old. He was a spike bull at 300 yards away. I shot 6 times (resting) at him and thought I was missing. At the 7th shot (still resting) he tumbled down the hill, because his back was broken. Between the 1st and 7th shot was 5 minutes and he traveled about 200 yards. He never ran just walked, the mountain he was on was made up of dark timber with tiny openings that were 10 or so yards around in diameter. Because of that I could never get off more than one shot at a time, for each time I saw him. I hit him in the heart/lung area 4 times, and yet he didn't show it in the lease bit. The following year I shot a raghorn bull, and the hillside was so steep the bull was knocked his feet for a second. To make a long story short I lost that elk. This is still the only elk to date that I have lost, and I have archery hunted elk a lot where it is more common to loose a animal. The next year I purchased my first .300 Weatherby. Not trying to bag on a .270 it can and will kill elk. I admit being a young teenager and I (and my father) was stupid in my bullet selection. I was using a factory 130 gr. Remington corelock now if I were to use a .270 I would use a 150 gr. premium bullet. And I would only shoot at a broadside target. But now, if the bull of a lifetime pops out at 500 + yards and gives me a less than perfect broadside shot, I know my .300 Ultra Mag would do the job.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ELK GUN 270 ?

OOPS!!!!

My husband the genius posted the last reply under my nic. It should read as from Idahoelkinstructor. But thanks for the post boost, honey!! LOL