Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What is the best gun for moose and elk >

What is the best gun for moose and elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is the best gun for moose and elk

Old 04-20-2004, 04:00 PM

Default What is the best gun for moose and elk

I'm getting my dad a new gun for fathers day and we are probabley going moose and elk hunting maybe griz in alaska, what would you guys recommend for these animals. I was considering a .300, what do yall think?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the best gun for moose and elk

I assume you mean a 300 win mag which would fine for what you mentioned. But you did mention griz bear so I would look at adding a 338 win to the top of the list. Assuming you have either a capable or other means for the smaller game such as deer the 338 would give you a nice cabinet with some extra thump for the moose/elk hunts (not to mention the critters that bite back!!!).

Ultra mags or wby mags would be other choices you could consider, not required but food for thought.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

While a 300 will certainly kill a grizzly every time I would feel much more comfortable in grizzly country with a .338, .358 or .375. of one maker or another.

If I happend upon a grizzly and startled it I would want as much fire power as possible at that moment.

But if you took out the grizzly then anything from a .338 to a .270 or 30-06 would be adequate. However I would still opt for one of the bigger than 30 guns if I were hunting in grizzly country. Even if I weren't actually hunting them.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

.340 Wby. Mag., or .338-378 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:49 AM
DM

I, like most people, don't like recoil, so i choose what will "comfortable" get the job done "without" killing on both ends!!! I've shot big bears, and a 30-06 with 200 grain Nosler partitions kills them just as dead as the big magnums!!!

Another excelent round that doesn't recoil all that bad for it's performance, is the 7 mm Rem. mag!! Useing 175 grain Nosler partitions, it's a great choise for the bigger animials, includeing the biggest bears!!!

"If" you cut out the "macho factor" most guys would admit that recoil bothers them, and that tells me, that they would practice more, and become better shooters with a less recoiling rifle!! I've found there's quite a bit of difference in recoil between a 7 mm Rem mag., and a 300 Win. mag!!

Lots of practice makes for a lot better shooter, and that's what kills game, NOT a bigger gun!!!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

For Elk and Moose anything from 270 on up would work fine. I would and do use the 30-06 for that type of hunting. DM is right on in his selection as well. If I were going after Grizzly I would take my 45-70 Marlin It will put a 400 + grain bullet from one end of a Griz to the other and cause on heck of a wound channel on the way through. I helped skin one that a friend of mine shot with a No. One Ruger 47-70 with a cast bullet about 475 grains. I have also used the 416 Rem mag for Bears but its not a real flat shooter if Elk are involved Its way more gun than a fellow would need. A 375 H&H however shoots plenty flat and to me does not recoil much different than the 338 Win Mag.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:39 AM

The best gun for moose and elk is a gun you can shoot well. Don't buy the biggest badest caliber buy the one you can shoot. If you have a 338 RUM or 375 RUM and can't handle the recoil you will never be able to kill anything very well with it. If you can shoot a 270 or 30.06 well, that gun will kill moose, elk and bears etc. If you can place the bullet in the right spot any gun will work.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:22 PM

At a minimum you need a .416 Rigby.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of you guys are conviently leaving out the grizzly factor associated with his original post and selection of a rifle.

If I were hunting in Grizzly country or actually hunting Grizzly I would most definetly want something more than a 30-06 just in case I happend upon one in the thick bushes at less than ten yards. Do any of you honestly think that you would even realize that you shot a 375 H&H when you had a pissed off grizzly within spitting distance? I know I wouldn't.

Yes they will kill a Grizzly very effectively when you can take the time to shoot them. But in the event that my life were on the line I would definetly want to put the biggest chunk of lead in the bear as possible.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:36 PM
DM

bigbulls,

I disagree! I've shot brown bears myself, and seen others shot!! "If" you don't do your part, a 375 won't kill them any faster than a 30-06 with 200 NP's!!! I've seen one run off shot with a 378 wby, so bigger is NOT always better!! 06 with 200 NP's will penetrate just as well or better than a 270 N in a 375 H&H, and that's what it's all about!!! You just can't "shock" a big bear down, you have to break bone, and the 06 will do it with the right bullets!! So will the 7 Rem. mag!!

I saw it over and over in Alaska, guys always thinking bigger is better, and all because of poor shooting in the first place!!! "If" you can't do the job with a 7 mag with 175 NP's, or an 06 with 200 NP's, then you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place!!!

Practice, practice, and practice some more!!!

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: What is the best gun for moose and elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.