Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk Hunting in New Mexico with Target Outfitting >

Elk Hunting in New Mexico with Target Outfitting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting in New Mexico with Target Outfitting

Old 04-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Hunting in New Mexico with Target Outfitting

I have reserved a 5 day, Sept 2005 archery elk hunt with Target Outfitting out of Cuba, NM. This is a wilderness hunt on horse back and camp. I found out from my wifes uncle, his best friend guides elk hunts. He gave me a discount for the trip, the 5 day hunt and tags will cost me $4,700 the real price is over $5,000. The guide said in the last three years all of his bow hunters had a shot at a bull elk. He said some have turned down the shot, because of looking for a bigger bull. Last year said two bow hunters turned down a shot, all others shot a bull elk. I have asked for more info from them, they are sending it in the mail. I am a avid whitetail hunter with bow. I am buying some new gear for the hunt. such as smaller sleeping bag, rangefinder, 2 pars 1 uninsulated and 1 insulated irish setter boats with the bob soles, a Alaska guide back pack with bladder from cabelas, I have a good day pack with bladder already, bow sling, of course more arrows with G5 Montek if flies good going to try the new broadhead for the first time, a field bow press and some new back up parts for my bow such as string srews, and other parts. Do I really need another bow to bring along for the hunt. What other stuff should I look at or buy before the hunt. Has anyone hunted with Target Outfitting www.targetoutfitting.com if yes please tell me how it went or E-mail me at [email protected]. I have been reading about elk and elk hunting what amazing animals. If anyone else has any advice what to ask the outfiiter or avice for me on equipment please give I would like to hear about it. Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting in New Mexico with Target Outfitting

link is not available
Old 04-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry there is a cama there, www.targetoutfitting.com
Old 04-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Should work now sorry about that.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:35 PM

Sounds cool man, I would also advise you to start an exercise program if you don't already, it's a demanding hunt. But you will enjoy the hell out of it!
Old 04-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks bigbore, I will start climbing stairs with a pack on my back and other exercises to of course.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:02 PM

I live in CO, here is what I do year round usually to stay in general shape, but the goal is always hunting!

Mon., Wed., Fri.
Row-2000-2500 meters (about 10 mins.)
Run about 1-1.5 miles OR Bike for 5-6 miles (about 15 mins.)
Lift for half an hour, with an emphasis on the core muscles
-push-ups OR bench press
-dips OR flys
-Rows
-Lat pull down
-Leg presses
-Calf raises
-Various ab exercises

All in all, if you keep moving and don't talk to people, takes maybe an hour. Start slow though if you haven't worked out in awhile.

What kind of bow setup will you be taking along?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt with a Reflex Bow, Draw wieght is 65 pounds, trophy ridge sight with the justable hand clamps I just ordered the light and ring for my sight , Tru fire release, Beman 400 carbon arrows I have 4 inch fletching but planning on switching to 5 inch fletching, I do not remember the name of my arrow rest thinking on buying a drop free arrow rest with a bar above it so the arrow can not fall off, and a quiver that holds 6 arrows maybe I should get a quiver that holds more arrows, what do you think. Thanks for the help bigbore, always willing to listen. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Broken,

You can take extra arrows along you shouldn't need more than six shots in a days time, I would not think anyway. If you have a extra bow you can leave it in the truck in case something happened. Always bring an extra release to base camp. I don't know how many bowhunters have sat down and forgot their release and when going back could not find it. That can totally ruin a hunt if a person is not a finger shooter. Also buy a small game tag if grouse is in season in New Mexico at the time, take a arrow and put a Judo point on it and you'll have some mighty fine camp meat that night. Your outfitter sounds pretty honest in what he told you about the hunters getting shots. Good luck on your hunt and always be safe.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 AM

I agree with Cherokee, six arrows should be enough at any given time. Your setup sounds real nice for an elk hunt, and five inch fletching will do real nice as well. Good luck prepping for your hunt, now you have an excuse to go shoot arrows every night if you want!

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting in New Mexico with Target Outfitting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.