Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Here Kitty, Kitty!

Old 04-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Here Kitty, Kitty!

crazy... i could never do that... not because of the berries, but because it just doesn't seem right
Old 04-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

That was intense I would sure like to hunt over there. But did you see the guy closes he had a hard time with that bolt action rifle . I tell you what all I can say is 3 inch 00 buck with an unpluged 12 ga. at that range I think you could of stop him before he got that far. What do you guys think?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:41 AM

JustHuntItAll,

Per your question, I believe you are right and the hunter in this instance would have welcomed the 12 gauge repeater loaded as you mentioned over the bolt rifle he was using at that moment. Raw rapid firepower may have been welcome and if it didn't kill the lion immediately I'm guessing at least it would have turned him away thus avoiding the mauling -- that would likely be the good news.

Now, the bad news, wounded dangerous game is said to be dangerous game indeed. Especially if he opened up with the shotgun when the lion was say 30 yards out it may have broken off the charge and then there would be a wounded lion on the loose to be pursued and that would be sticky business indeed in that tall grass. Then if they don't catch up with it and kill it, then it would be quite possible it would live on a while and in the meantime possibly attack anyone who blunders into its enraged path (hunter or otherwise).

So it is kind of a Catch 22, you want a heavy rifle for killing but if you miss the first shot and need a second shot fast, then that is not a bolt action rifle's forte. Thus comes one of the significant adaptations in firearms that took root (by necessity) in Africa but is totally absent in the "tame game" lands of North America..... the heavy bore double rifle. This allows the hunter the luxury of heavy knock down power AND a fast second shot.

Just a very different firearm adaptation to match very different and challenging environment. Does everyone that goes to Africa use them, no. Do some wish they had, probably. They are much more common among the PH's as a "stopper rifle". This appeared to be a "stopper situation" right from the get go.

IMHO, I think a 500 Nitro Express double rifle would have been heart warming but that is just me.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-03-2004, 11:24 AM

I saw the hole clip before and they saw the lion and
one guy shot and hit the lion in the leg. So he is all mad
and starts to charge and you saw the rest of the clip.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:18 PM

LittleBowMan,

Where did you see the full length clip at?

Thanks,

EKM