Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

East VS West

Old 03-19-2004, 01:17 PM

Default RE: East VS West

Hale,
That is some nice looking country, and cabin, alot more roomy than my old l8 ft. camp trailer. But this east vs west thing has got me baffled, i have been hunting all my life in montana, and i have gotten all my deer, elk, and antelope down on the ground, i never have thought about looking for them up in the trees like your hunting, how do you sneak around from tree to tree trying to find them animals without falling out? I guess i better start looking up when i hunt, how bout you Jack? you look up the trees round moccasin when your hunting? I haven't seen a one up in the canopy. By the way, who moved out of town, i thought there used to be 10 people living there?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not Montana, but not bad for an easterner. Bobby
Old 03-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey speedgoat,there are no trees around Moccasin to look in.
I have often wondered if animals don't turn into trees when I'm around.Maybe thats what they do back east,wait in the trees and hope they turn into deer.

As for the other 3 people the hooked on to their trailer and pulled out for some place called the Mid-West.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:09 PM
jjt

hale

i like the pictures they are very nice

i am one of those westerners that think all you easterners live in big cities all paved over and tall buildings blocking out the sun smog so thick you cant hardly breath etc

i know this sounds bad and close minded but i live in a state where the TOTAL population is under 500,000 that leaves alot of room to wander

we call a traffic jam anything you have to tap your brakes for
Old 03-20-2004, 02:22 PM
jjt

here are a few picts of wyoming also dont forget we have the tetons and yellowstone(but i am sure you have all seen picts of them)

my brother and his fist buck 2 miles outside of town(there are a few trees here)

me and my 03 buck 1 mile out of town

this is a field located in town between a residental nieghborhood and the highway very well inside city limits (also taken the same day as the photos on this thread
Old 03-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up hunting all over New York and PA. Yes there is some rural areas and some great hunting. Too many people for me. I now live in Idaho and hunt remote wilderness areas. I haven't seen one other hunter in the 5 years that I have been hunting in my elk spot. You can walk for days in the Frank Church and never even see a sign of a human. I went back east a few years ago, I got to walking and was surprised how easy it was to pop out on the next road. Wouldn't trade the splendor of the Rockies for anything. You can drive for miles without even passing a car. Every place has its beaty though.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:51 PM

Hale87,

That is an absolutely cool cabin. I love the old porcelain steel stove and mono-piece sink. Its great that you mother is involved with the whole deal as well. Capture those memories my friend.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with you Hale87. I too hear alot of stereotyping about hunting the Eastern states. I live in Lancaster Pa and hunt in Lycoming county Pa. These are two totally different areas. Lancaster is just like people expect, excellent hunting but you need to know someone or put in alot of time on some of the state game lands. Either way you will see some other hunters and be relatively close to houses or roads. Lycoming county on the other hand is the complete opposite. I can walk out of my front door and walk for miles before I even see another hunter, road or house. You just have to be willing to put in the effort. As far as game animals go last year we saw 2 10 pointers and an 8 point buck in the back yard the morning after a 650 lb black bear was in (this I only know because he was harvested) then after breakfast we headed down to Camal only to just miss seeing a cow elk with her two calves cross pine creek. Now that sounds pretty good to me. I am not saying that east is better then west or vice versa. It's just that we have our fair share of open country and I think we all agree in the fact that there is no place better then where the trees grow tall and the game runs free!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

My two cents worth. I've lived in KS, NC, DC, ID, WA, and MT. I've travelled through much of the east coast from VA to PA, and everything west of the Mississippi. I'll take MT.

That said, I had a good buddy from PA, and spent a couple weeks up there one time. He and his hunting buds showed me around. I thought I was a salty westerner, but those boys really knew there deer herds. They probably had forgotten more than I ever knew. I think that hunting environment in PA and vicinity breeds some great hunters.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never been back East much but I know there is a lot of rural areas there. I have spent my life except for the Miliatry years in South and North Dakota. Lots of room, not many people. I am pretty happy right here. I have traveled quite a bit in the South and spent a year in TN. Military.

Quick Reply: East VS West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.