Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hog Hunting

Old 03-13-2004, 01:54 PM

Default RE: Hog Hunting

we jus got back from a 3 day hog hunt last sunday. it was archery only.was a real hoot.no offense to anyone but there is not a single ranck=h i have called that will allow a 22 to be used on hogs.skill level or not the probability of killing a hog with a 22 is extremely slim.with a large hog it is even smaller.if the shot has to go thru bone or the thick hide the 22 will lose its energy.to kill the hog you would almost have to have the gun up against the hogs ear
Old 03-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

dep214, SLAPP!!!, SLAPP!!!, thats why I said I wouldn't recommend a 22.
As far as head shots go, I shot a boar with my muzzloader one time and knock it down right in its tracks, I went up to it and sliced the throat and then went to field dress it, then the dang thing came back to life and hauled ass out of there, by this time it was dark and after some tracking found him about 20 minutes later, I thought I had lost him but when I shot him the impact knocked him out and if I didn't slice its throat, I never would of found him. Bobby
Old 03-13-2004, 03:29 PM

22LR penetrates the skull with ease. I don't know why you think they wouldn't. With a 22, you have to aim for the brain between the ear and eye. On very small pigs, it sometimes can brake the vertebrae and drop the pig in it's tracks but if it's a good size pig, you have to shoot for the brain. Vital shots can also sometimes take out young pigs but are not reliable.

The 22mag is the minimum legal cartridge when hunting with the use of dogs here in Hawaii. With more power and slightly larger bullet, it should be able to drop a pig in it's tracks if you hit the spine or vertebrae. I don't know how it would work with vital shots but I'm sure it would be better than the 22lr.

Any cartridge from .223 on up can take out a pig. But pigs are the toughest animal around in my opinion. They are much tougher than elk. Good shots will kill them just as easily as any other animal but their ability to survive marginal hits makes them one of the toughest animals around. But any bullet that hit's them in the "Drop them in their tracks" area will drop them in their tracks. The vitals are a different story. I've heard some bad stories about the 30-30 but then, I've heard alot of good stories too. I would say that the minimum would be a .270 or 7mm. 300 win mag is a good bullet choice. So is 30.06. The bigger, the better for vital shots. 44mag. I prefer 12 gauge slugs. They punch a nice hole even through the thickest pad ensureing a good blood trail. Buck shot works good too at extremly close distance and is good if your driving the pigs with dogs because you can easily hit running pigs. The only bad thing is that you might hit the tusks.

The pad is actually a thick layer of dence skin. Notice how tough even thin skin is. Now imagine skin that is 1 - 2 inches thick. You can shoot low in the chest at the heart and go completely under the worst of it ensureing a great blood trail.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Newmanisking,

Welcome to the board, I'm fairly new at it myself, but not at hog hunting. You will probably have already gone on your hog hunt by this time, and I hope you had a great time.

As you can see from all the replys, there are many choices of weapon to take wild hogs. I grew up hunting them in Georgia with my father, he started me when I was in the 5th or 6th grade, and I can assure you that has many years ago. My two choices of weapon are the 22 Mag. or 357 Mag. I have taken them with 30-06, 30-30, 243, 7mm-08, 16 ga buckshot, 223, and Bow and Arrow. We have a wide variety of hogs where I hunt, russian, ferral, true Georgia swampers, and any cross in between and it all comes down to shot placement as others have told you. I have never had the opportunity to elk, moose, or bear hunt, but I'll put a 250 lb hog up against any of the big game animals as for as tuffness and ability to take a shot and keep going.

I hunted with dogs and mostly just still hunting, have had dogs cut wide open from the hogs tusk, and a friend or two has been cut. Trust me, they can be bad and will put you up a tree if you hunt them long enough. We have caught many alive by slipping in and grabing them by the back legs when the dogs had them backed up in a thicket. To say all of the above is to say this with a word to the wise, a Sow with pigs is more dangerous than any boar hog, tread lightly when in hog country, she will defend her pigs. I've seen a sow run off and leave her pigs and when she hears one her pigs squeal, from a dog catching it, she will return like a run away freight train.

Hope your hunt was a great experience and the above and other replys helped you.

dog1
Old 03-13-2004, 07:21 PM

somebody done told you wrong that 22lr will penetrate the skull with ease.you would have to almost have the gun against the head.the probability of it wounding the animal is too great .i would never even attempt the risky shot.i shot one behind the ear with a 7 mag and it still lived. i had to use a second shot to bring him down
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 AM

I think the guy asked an honest question. The guy with flag has too much time on his hands. I saw his list of weapons he would use on the hunt, just hope he doesn't wait until the last night to choose what he wants to hunt with. Be such a disgrace to hunting if he did not give it at least 4 months of thought.

If you are not sure of someone's level, just ask.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:01 PM

i agree he asked a honest question. the night before the hunt is not the time to ask that question.if asking anyone it should have been asked of the guy who invited him
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dep, that is the point that was being made but some blew it way out of proportion.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:01 PM

i have no problem at all with the question.that is just like hunting any animal. practice for that animal with the weapon suggested. this guy did not have time i think.i practiced with my cross bow for weeks before a hunt. i do the same with guns before hunting season.this guy was in a bad position.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Hmmm.. I guess I must have been dreaming when I shot my first pig with a 22lr, because at about 10yds I shot him directly behind the ear , he dropped and never quivered, well over 250lbs, shot another in the neck with my .44 mag at about 40 yds , the bullet hit the neck vertabre and followed it into the head, it did take a second shot to finish him , but he was paralyzed and down for good, I guess theres exceptions to every rule

Quick Reply: Hog Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.