Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Running Shots -->

Old 03-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Running Shots -->

We had an interesting discussion about Neck shots and now I wonder how many hunters take Running shots?
But first here are the rules:
Answer the question with what comes into your head. Don't go get a calculator and
start working the stat's. Lets face it you don't carry one in the woods do you?
Let's assume the game you are shooting at is 100 yards away
Your game is running approximately 20 MPH
You have a scoped rifle in any caliber you like..But lets say at minimum
it is a 30 cal

So here is the question to all of you that would or have taken a running shot's how much do lead this game for the shot you intend to take?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Running Shots -->

I am not sure? If I felt good about the shot? I would take it. I just can not get a clear picture of the situation in front of my laptop? I have shot 3-elk (3-seperate years)as I kick them out of there beds at 30 to 50-yards. I am not sure how fast they were running but it was fast enough for me.
I will shoot a running animal if I feel good about the shot.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only way I would take that shot is if I had already wounded the animal.

If I did indeed have to take a follow up shot at wounded game, I would not think about lead, I would use the pull through method: I would swing the gun from behind to in front of the animal and pull the trigger when it just cleared the animal, while maintaining my "follow through" after pulling the trigger.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:35 PM

My answer will parallel Wolfkiller's. I most likely will make the decision as I am looking through the scope, as my mind has already went into "kill mode" and it is now "show time". A large factor will be whether I am shooting from a rest (a nice aspen tree) or off-hand. If my mind can play a "tape" from past experience that makes this feel comfortable and it feels like a high probability, then the gun will go off by itself and I will hear no muzzle blast and feel no recoil. The lead, if any, will be done subconciously.

100 yards, 20mph (pretty fast and under duress) --- I'm guessing the gun will NOT go off. If not, then I will try a cow call though, it may open up a 3 to 4 second window of "stop and look" and then "automatic pilot" is quite important at that point.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a cow elk running at 200 yds. with a .340 Wby. Mag. using a 225 gr. Barnes XFB. I aimed at the front of her chest, and hit her spine just behind the scapula. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Aim where I want to hit and follow through.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:47 AM

Hi Outdoor,

We forgot the "presentation" (side to side, quartering, head on - tail on, etc.) wind direction and velocity...... I'm only kidding. I understand the question.....but like many others have already said....it depends upon the shot.

First, the furthest whitetail I've ever rifle shot was 95 yards. (Furthest whitetail was 115 yards with a Sabot slug.) But the vast majority were probably between 25 to 75 yards. With two or three handfuls at well under 25 yards. And I have taken "running" shots....but they all "looked good...and I felt confident" that I could make it. If a deer is running either straight towards you (a couple of instances).....or much more likely, straight away from you....there is "no lead". If the animal is strongly quartering...there will be significantly less lead. And full on broadside will require the most lead. I don't know if I can quantify it verbally while sitting here, without doing the math. But I do know in my mind's eye if I "see the shot"......when in the field. It's like shooting birds with a shotgun......or even to a lesser degree like seeing and making a pool shot. (I know.....not moving....but involves angles.) Either you "see it"....or you don't. The human brain is the most complex computer known to man. It is capable of doing these calculations rapidly.....if and when.....trained to do it. It is not infallible...but it is amazingly accuracte when so trained. (Like aerial gunnery, some are better at it naturally...but nearly all can be trained.)

The longest shots I have ever taken at running game have been on Caribou. All of these animals were moving at a steady gait, (though not 20 mph), and they were completely out in the open. Not only did the shots look good.....but I knew there was sufficient time for a finisher if needed....without the animal either "getting away wounded", or suffering unduly! And those shots were considerably easier to make then many running shots I'd passed up on whitetails in the hardwoods and mountain laurel!

If I'm confident in the presentation, my ability, and the weapon/load....I'll take the shot! If there are doubts.....I'll let it go!

I know that was not the answer you were looking for, (but I could always get out the calculator and assume wind direction/velocity, etc.).

Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Windage and elevation Mrs. Langston. Without all the scientific mumbo jumbo trown in presented with anything but a texas bullseye the answer is yes. I shoot running coyotes at all distances and they are alot smaller than a deer or elk. Its like feddoc said follow through. I overlead an elk just a little too much this year and took out both shoulders. That was a bad deal beings I like elk meat. Anyway for those who practice answer is still yes.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Spike

If the shot is at a right angle running deer I'll normally hold on the front line of the deer. If he's running at something less, I'll start to creep in on his body. Here in PA I hunt doe with a farmer that has a real problem with crop damage. About ten years ago during my first hunt with these guys I left a couple of deer run by me with out shooting. I figured there would be more and I didn't need to wound something right of the bat. Well,,,,,,, when I came out after the "drive" they ask me if I had seen any. I told them what had happened, and they ask me to shoot the next time. To be real honest with you, they didn't care if they were wounded or not. This man's farm lays in a basin surrounded by the ridges, and he suffers serious crop damage every year. He showed me a soybean field one day and it looked like somebody had taken a lawn mower to it. I think when you're over run by these things, after a while you start to lose your respect for them. Unfortunately I think that's the truth for many here in PA. Just like my friend there, his property is mostly fields, and he's surrounded by many people that don't allow hunting. That's pretty though when you're feeding them, but can't control them. Most days while hunting with those people, collectively we normally see well over 100 deer a day. I know I've got a little off base with this thread, and I apologize for that.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:25 AM

If the shot feels good, Take it! If you don't squeeze the trigger you have 0% chance of taking the animal. Distance is another factor, the further the target, the further you must lead your target. The third factor would be if it is a once in a life time trophy......you are going to take the shot

Quick Reply: Running Shots -->

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.