Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best bullet for deer AND elk >

Best bullet for deer AND elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best bullet for deer AND elk

Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best bullet for deer AND elk

If you had to choose 1 bullet for both what would you use? I currenlty use Partitions out of my 7mm, 160g but probably will switch to Accubonds this year. Distances are between 50-350 yards.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 PM
jjt

Default RE: Best bullet for deer AND elk

there are a million different bullets out there so to pick one is virtually impossible

if you go to the reloading forum you will see my review of accubonds

i will be using the 180 gr accubond in my .300 wm this year for speed goats, muleys, elk, bear and possibly moose and cougar.

as of right now i believe you have made a good choice
Old 03-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Core-Lok's, Ballistic Tips, Partitions, Scirocco's and now going to use Accubonds. I've been happy with most but none have been a "perfect" bullet for me yet. The Partitions were close but the lead tips always get mashed up when the gun is fired and loose a little accuracy. I'm really excited about the Accubonds. Just wish they would make the Accubond a partition-type or just add a plastic tip to the Partition. I've also heard good things about the Hornady bullets but never used them. I don't want a bullet so tough it just punches a small hole all the way through, but one that will expand well and impart 99% of it's energy into the animal and just fall out a hole on the back side.

They just keep getting better all the time!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

As long as the bullet is placed inside the kill zone their are tons of bullets out there that will do the job. I've seen one bullet do its job just as good as the next. I use the spitzer boattail by speer and it's never failed to do its job and is extremely accurate. But that is a result of the right handload in the right rifle. Its all personal choice of which bullet a person likes to use.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't beat the Partition its been doing the job for many years. The Accubond And Barnes X should work fine too.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the cartridge...anything but a varmint bullet will work out of a standard cartridge to about 2900 after that you need a Partition,Accubond, trophy bonded , x ,failsafe (did I leave any out?) whatever for the dang thing to stay together and not become an animal hand grenade . I don't like bullets with plastic tips and the more I use them the more they will be relegated to the target range, i really feel they affect penetration,expansion and the route the bullet takes on its way thru the animal. Can't conclusively prove this but used ballistic tips for awhile on deer and the kills were nowhere as spectacular(drop right there) as when using lead core bullets. I haven't used X bullets or failsafes on game just at the range so I can't speculate on them but I am betting they do the trick real well also. A bullet I want to really try out for deer this fall/winter will be the new Nosler Solid base boattail by Federal out of my 7-08...these were fabulous bullets years ago but some idiot at Nosler discontinued them for who knows what...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI, in case you didn't know, the Accubond (like the name implies) has a lead core that is bonded to the jacket. Supposed to have near the same weight retention as the Partition with the benefits of the accuracy of the Ballistic tips.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

FYI, in case you didn't know, the Accubond (like the name implies) has a lead core that is bonded to the jacket. Supposed to have near the same weight retention as the Partition with the benefits of the accuracy of the Ballistic tips.
It will probably have more weight retention then a Partition but who says that weight retention is everything anyway? Never ever had a problem getting Nosler partitions to group great in any caliber I have used them in . Problem I have with accubonds is (a) the plastic tip (b) bullet weights currently offered.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:19 AM
jjt

Problem I have with accubonds is (a) the plastic tip (b) bullet weights currently offered.
the assortment they came out with was not the best so i just had to buy a bigger gun to shoot them lol
Old 03-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Spike

i hunt out west and the 7mm in stw cartridge with 175 grain banes bullets handles everything from coyote to grizzly bears as well as 1,000 pound elk

Quick Reply: Best bullet for deer AND elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.